PDA

View Full Version : Your ideal era (or so you think) in time/history

-:Undertaker:-
07-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Just discussing this with a friend, what do you think was your ideal time in history and where? of course you can't properly say as you could hate it and have made it sound romantic in your head, but if you could go back to a certain time other than now and test it out in favourable circumstances (ie not a slave or poor etc), which era would you go back to?

I'd probably want to live from the 1850s to early 1900s, in other words the Victorian era. I think it must have been utterly amazing, a civilisation (Britain) at it's upmost peak - the cobbled streets, the grand and beautiful houses, the proper use of English, the manners, the smart fashion of the time, the factories churning out thick black smoke over the church spire dotted skyline, the gas lamps lighting up the pub houses, the newspapers proclaiming British overseas victories and proclamations of new additions to the Empire, the unashamed patriotism, discoveries coming in from over the British Empire: new plants, animals, inventions, products..... no decline, just progress after progress. Ahh I think I was born in the wrong era. :P

What about you?

FlyingJesus
07-09-2013, 02:44 AM
I think you are hugely misguided if you think the Victorian era was one of grand living and nothing but - the huge huge huge majority of people were living in such poverty that simply living to the next day was a massive accomplishment and one certainly wouldn't have known about much less enjoyed the inventions of the age unless one were among the absolute elite :P if we work it out that way and can choose not only a period of history but also the social class we belong to then I'd pick being among the upper echelons of literary society in the 20s and 30s, as a member of the Bright Young People among folk such as Stephen Tennant whose lifestyle I certainly adore. Never mind the abject millions starving and rotting to death in drawn-out wars, I want to stay in bed and write about flowers

Shockwave.2CC
07-09-2013, 03:00 AM
I think I'd of liked to live in the late 1400s because I would just of loved knowing about how Richard III became king after Edward V (Yes I know it says Edward V disappeared with his younger brother Richard of Shrewsbury, 1st Duke of York/ or was both killed by Richard III (hired men to do it). But I think if I lived in that era, I'd maybe know about it better.

-:Undertaker:-
07-09-2013, 03:17 AM
I think you are hugely misguided if you think the Victorian era was one of grand living and nothing but - the huge huge huge majority of people were living in such poverty that simply living to the next day was a massive accomplishment and one certainly wouldn't have known about much less enjoyed the inventions of the age unless one were among the absolute elite :P

That's why I mentioned the bit about romantics and favourable circumstances.

karter
07-09-2013, 04:21 AM
I think this era is fine for me

Cerys
07-09-2013, 09:47 AM
Um

I would've preferred to have been born in the 60's so then I could've lived through all the times which had the best music *queen*

wixard
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
anytime before 1970s as long as my fam was rich

Ardemax
07-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't think I would want to live in another time or place quite frankly :P

Eoin247
07-09-2013, 12:48 PM
60's probably. As long as i was in good circumstances. Would love to have seen ''The Graduate'' in the cinema and gone to a simon and garfunkel concert. :)

Munex
07-09-2013, 01:19 PM
The past is riddled with disease and poverty. We take so much for granted nowadays and I wouldn't trade that for any other time ... except for a place in the future, maybe.

Chippiewill
07-09-2013, 02:11 PM
Today, I'm kind of used to it.

Kardan
07-09-2013, 04:36 PM
The only time period I'd ever considering living in instead is the future depending on what happens :P

oli
07-09-2013, 04:38 PM
i like this one

geo
08-09-2013, 10:35 AM
i'll stick with this one!!

netflix my true love :Heart:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!