PDA

View Full Version : BT Phone Line costs? (Thinking of going to infinity)

peteyt
15-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Well finally Infinity is here in my area the only problem is our phone line is with the post office and you need a bt phone line for infinity. However according to my dad when we were with BT we were always in credit, prices where always expensive. However now that we are with the post office it is usually the opposite.

Most of us use mobiles anyways, just wondering if anyone else is with bt as while I don't fancy expensive bills im sick of paying for 8mb broadband and only seeing roughly 3mb

Thanks

N!ck
16-09-2013, 01:27 AM
Line rental is roughly £14-15 per month and is cheaper if you pay for a full year in one go. They usually include some sort for free evening + weekend call package with the broadband + phone line deal IIRC.

lawrawrrr
16-09-2013, 08:48 AM
All phone lines in the UK are BT and you'll be paying the phone line rental no matter what company you're with.

It's usually (idk if always) £15.50 a month but some companies will give you a deal - I paid just under £140 for mine which made it about £11 a month instead - but you have to pay that sum all at once rather than monthly.

xxMATTGxx
16-09-2013, 05:29 PM
All phone lines in the UK are BT and you'll be paying the phone line rental no matter what company you're with.

It's usually (idk if always) £15.50 a month but some companies will give you a deal - I paid just under £140 for mine which made it about £11 a month instead - but you have to pay that sum all at once rather than monthly.

If you are a Virgin Media cable customer and have a phone line with them then you aren't using BT. Just some info for you :P

Recursion
16-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Well finally Infinity is here in my area the only problem is our phone line is with the post office and you need a bt phone line for infinity. However according to my dad when we were with BT we were always in credit, prices where always expensive. However now that we are with the post office it is usually the opposite.

Most of us use mobiles anyways, just wondering if anyone else is with bt as while I don't fancy expensive bills im sick of paying for 8mb broadband and only seeing roughly 3mb

Thanks

Also you're not paying for 8Mb, you're paying for up to 8Mb, and that's what they provide, it's the distance from the exchange and the cabling that limits you in reality (also exchange equipment, but that's something else). Unfortunately companies can't change the laws of copper wire physics!

lawrawrrr
16-09-2013, 09:22 PM
If you are a Virgin Media cable customer and have a phone line with them then you aren't using BT. Just some info for you :P

Yeah I knew that another company owned the rest of the private/residential lines - couldn't remember which one!

peteyt
17-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Also you're not paying for 8Mb, you're paying for up to 8Mb, and that's what they provide, it's the distance from the exchange and the cabling that limits you in reality (also exchange equipment, but that's something else). Unfortunately companies can't change the laws of copper wire physics!

I know that was just saying. However Fibre is different isn't it in that usually you can get higher speeds?

peteyt
17-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Meant to put you usually get the promised speed don't you

peteyt
17-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Well I decided to order BT infinity and it was going good. Had some problems chasing my Mac code because o2 home broadband has been bought out buy sky and sky said o2 had the mac codes to transfer o2 said sky had it. A guy had phoned from BT asking for it and I told him we would have to possibly wait 24 hours for the email to come through it came earlier and when I rang back someone else answered and told me I didn't have an order on the system and would have to re-order and tried to get me to re-order via the phone instead of online saying goodbye to the online exclusives I was getting. Dam BT

Andys
18-09-2013, 06:23 PM
I know that was just saying. However Fibre is different isn't it in that usually you can get higher speeds?
It's only fibre up to the green cabinet in your street. From there to your house it's all copper, so it isn't really fully fibre optic, just like with Virgin Media and Sky too.

When they say up to 8mb, that will be the highest speed you will get, when plugged in using an ethernet cable :). ISP's don't guarantee speed's wirelessly.

Describe
21-09-2013, 06:27 PM
The line rental is £15.45.

Did you pick the special offer of Infinity 2 with free Anytime calls? That's the special offer we're running just now. I doubt you were ever actually promised an exact speed because your speed is..

"..an estimate and it depends on things like your home wiring, whether or not you use a wireless or cable connection to your router, how many people are using it at the same time and at what time of day, how far you are from the exchange and how our network is performing." If your speed is a lot lower than our estimate after three days get in touch, you would need to tell us within three months of installing it.

If you chose Infinity 1 you are looking at speeds of up to 40mb/s and up to 76mb/s with the Infinity 2 option. There has been an order processing glitch in online orders where they come out blank at our end, meaning your online order wont be processed. If the adviser you spoke to managed to get you to take the order via the phone then well played on him/her, Infinity provides decent bonus.

:)

peteyt
22-09-2013, 11:09 AM
The line rental is £15.45.

Did you pick the special offer of Infinity 2 with free Anytime calls? That's the special offer we're running just now. I doubt you were ever actually promised an exact speed because your speed is..

If you chose Infinity 1 you are looking at speeds of up to 40mb/s and up to 76mb/s with the Infinity 2 option. There has been an order processing glitch in online orders where they come out blank at our end, meaning your online order wont be processed. If the adviser you spoke to managed to get you to take the order via the phone then well played on him/her, Infinity provides decent bonus.

:)

It's all been sorted. For some reason my order failed but acted like it hadn't my end giving me an order reference that pointed to no order. The problem was that the original deal I signed up for had ended but after a bit of pestering I have got it sorted and BT have said they will honour the original deal which is fair - at first a lot of people I contacted from BT said they where unsure if they could give me the original deal and it was their fault.

As to the promised speeds I thought you didn't need to be close to a local exchange and it just depended on how close you where to the actual cabinet and the quality of the wires between that and in your home.

Drunq
18-10-2013, 11:18 PM
PlusNet is the cheapest out of them all inc TalkTalk. Don't even touch them I gave them so much abuse for poor customer service and left. They were shocked but they're liars...
PlusNet's Customer Support is outstanding :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!