PDA

View Full Version : Volunteering/Working abroad

ohryry
22-09-2013, 08:19 PM
RIGHT I NEED HELP SO I CAME HERE, I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OLD ACCOUNT WAAAA

I'm 17 and I am currently at college, I have had a passion to work abroad all my life and it's something I really wanna do. My college course finishes in june 2014 and I was thinking about applying for jobs like being a holiday rep or working behind a bar, but I got an E in english (omfg i know so bad) anyway like they're making me do functional skills at college this year (dont even kno what it is but yeah) and i'll be doing gcse next year (if i want to do it) so i was thinking about tryin to do some volunteering in summer 2014 so i can put on my cv and then get my c in english and then try get a job then.

I DONT KNOW HAS ANYONE WORKED ABROAD/VOLUNTEERED ABROAD BEFORE

this is hard do i even need a C

help

Edited by j0rd (Forum Moderator): Threads merged

AgnesIO
24-09-2013, 10:33 PM
If you are only doing GCSEs you will probably not be accepted on many volunteering projects with companies, but you could potentially do it independently. A quick search on Google brings up MANY opportunities. However, please please please do NOT look to volunteer to merely boost your CV - in fact, if this is your primary and apparently only reason for wanting to volunteer, just don't.

Not sure whether to take you seriously, but anyway.

Kardan
24-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Personally the only people I know that have managed to get work abroad are people getting placements in companies abroad. How you'd get into bar work I have no idea. Experience I guess...

What country are you thinking?

Zak
25-09-2013, 12:55 PM
RIGHT I NEED HELP SO I CAME HERE, I DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO MY OLD ACCOUNT WAAAA

I'm 17 and I am currently at college, I have had a passion to work abroad all my life and it's something I really wanna do. My college course finishes in june 2014 and I was thinking about applying for jobs like being a holiday rep or working behind a bar, but I got an E in english (omfg i know so bad) anyway like they're making me do functional skills at college this year (dont even kno what it is but yeah) and i'll be doing gcse next year (if i want to do it) so i was thinking about tryin to do some volunteering in summer 2014 so i can put on my cv and then get my c in english and then try get a job then.

I DONT KNOW HAS ANYONE WORKED ABROAD/VOLUNTEERED ABROAD BEFORE

this is hard do i even need a C

help

Edited by j0rd (Forum Moderator): Threads merged

I can't see you needing any grades what so ever to be a holiday rep or bar staff. Not being horrible but most of the people in those jobs are stupid anyway. Functional skills are stand-alone qualifications in either ICT, English or Maths. I doubt a C in English will make any change whatsoever but you'll probably need a visa.

ohryry
25-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Im thinking of Greece but like yeah.

Does functional skills class as a C? won't be seen as it but would it be classed as it

Yawn
26-09-2013, 04:29 PM
well an E in english isnt going to make or break u getting a job

and dont listen to marketing of course u should volunteer so ur CV looks better. volunteer so u get some work experience and then u will be a more desirable candidate cos work experience is the most importnat thing u can have and will give u an edge

ohryry
26-09-2013, 10:06 PM

and dont listen to marketing of course u should volunteer so ur CV looks better. volunteer so u get some work experience and then u will be a more desirable candidate cos work experience is the most importnat thing u can have and will give u an edge
I worked in burger king on the tills for a year (fab customer service) so yeah!

most jobs are just not even giving me an interview now because of my E so i've just put C on my CV, like they'd check :o

asdasdasdsd

AgnesIO
26-09-2013, 11:40 PM

Err, "We define volunteering as any activity that involves spending time, unpaid, doing something that aims to benefit the environment or someone (individuals or groups) other than, or in addition to, close relatives" (Source; volunteering.org.uk).

There is a difference between work experience and volunteering. Volunteering abroad should be about the desire to help others in a less fortunate position than your own - not about building your CV - that should be a bonus, not a reason for doing so.

Yawn
27-09-2013, 10:26 AM
well yes volunteering abroad seems a bit pointless when u can just volunteer locally its a lot of effort for the same reward. and yes volunteering and work exp r 2 diff things, u volunteer and gain work exp in the process. stop trying to turn ppl away from volunteering cos they r doing it for the wrong reason they r still helping these less fortunate ppl, its a win/win situation.

most jobs are just not even giving me an interview now because of my E so i've just put C on my CV, like they'd check :ok thats gr8 that u have exp and gd idea they will never know

AgnesIO
27-09-2013, 10:49 AM
well yes volunteering abroad seems a bit pointless when u can just volunteer locally its a lot of effort for the same reward. and yes volunteering and work exp r 2 diff things, u volunteer and gain work exp in the process. stop trying to turn ppl away from volunteering cos they r doing it for the wrong reason they r still helping these less fortunate ppl, its a win/win situation.

k thats gr8 that u have exp and gd idea they will never know

No no no - volunteering is about helping others, not yourself. I don't believe you would really give it everything you can, when your primary motive is yourself. Sure, if you want to be a doctor, volunteering in a hospital gains work experience. Equally with teaching - apart from that it isn't really gaining work experience.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

Yawn
27-09-2013, 11:35 AM
No no no - volunteering is about helping others, not yourself. I don't believe you would really give it everything you can, when your primary motive is yourself. Sure, if you want to be a doctor, volunteering in a hospital gains work experience. Equally with teaching - apart from that it isn't really gaining work experience.

helping others while helping urself. if some1 volunteer in charity shop it can be only way for some1 to get their 1st work exp and get into paid employment

AgnesIO
27-09-2013, 11:39 AM
helping others while helping urself. if some1 volunteer in charity shop it can be only way for some1 to get their 1st work exp and get into paid employment

I would argue that volunteering in a work place is slightly different to volunteering in an LEDC. There will be two types of people in charity shops; this redoing it to help and those who are doing it because nobody wants to hire them. I bet the vast majority do it because they want to help.

ohryry
27-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I applied for camp america guys x

Zak
27-09-2013, 03:21 PM

most jobs are just not even giving me an interview now because of my E so i've just put C on my CV, like they'd check :o

If you've applied to any jobs where they have essential criteria put on your application form that you can do those things. If there is any desirable criteria then mention you can do those things too. You're right though most companies won't even look at people who have an E in English.. and why would they if they have a person who has maybe a B in English and better grades than yourself :P You know what I mean :P

Phil
27-09-2013, 11:27 PM
I would argue that volunteering in a work place is slightly different to volunteering in an LEDC. There will be two types of people in charity shops; this redoing it to help and those who are doing it because nobody wants to hire them. I bet the vast majority do it because they want to help.

I get what you're saying here. I understand you do a lot of voluntary work (we've spoke about it before and it's very admiral I might add) but are you saying to me that you wouldn't talk about the work you've done in your CV or an interview? Obviously the volunteer work you do is primarily to help others, I wouldn't dare say otherwise but you are also benefitting from this, right?

Sorry if I've completely missed the point f the discussion you're having with Subo, it's late :P

AgnesIO
28-09-2013, 12:16 AM
I get what you're saying here. I understand you do a lot of voluntary work (we've spoke about it before and it's very admiral I might add) but are you saying to me that you wouldn't talk about the work you've done in your CV or an interview? Obviously the volunteer work you do is primarily to help others, I wouldn't dare say otherwise but you are also benefitting from this, right?

Sorry if I've completely missed the point f the discussion you're having with Subo, it's late :P

Oh no, certainly I am not saying you cannot benefit from it! My original post was merely suggesting my distaste for when people volunteer simply for their own gain - which I said should not be the primary reason :) So yeah, I think in that respect I nthink my point may have been misunderstood! No problem about it being late though, I've just finished an 11 hour shift at work myself... Haha :)

EDIT: as a side note to the OP, nice choice with Camp America - I've heard it is absolutely amazing :)

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 2

ohryry
28-09-2013, 02:10 PM
wohoo yeah im well excited (if i get in) wish i tried a bit more with my app

AgnesIO
28-09-2013, 03:11 PM
wohoo yeah im well excited (if i get in) wish i tried a bit more with my app

Oh, please say you had a good look at it! Thousands apply for Camp America, really need to do your all of if you want it :)

ohryry
28-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Oh, please say you had a good look at it! Thousands apply for Camp America, really need to do your all of if you want it :)

i wonder if its to late to edit my app ( i think i can )
i picked my interviewier though and put in my deposit

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!