PDA

View Full Version : Annoying neighbours

Absently
30-09-2013, 03:38 PM
(I'm feeling serious Déjà vu from writing this haha) Recently new people moved up above where I live and I'm guessing one works a morning shift and the other works a night shift?! (I may be completely wrong on this) Basically, I go to bed around like 11.30-12.30 most nights, get up like 7.40 most days for college/jake for work. We normally pop the dog in a cage at night time (I get that it sounds cruel that she's in a cage, but she doesn't mind it one bit and normally pops herself in there during the day when she wants a little snooze or goes to play with some toys that are in there) She's mainly in the cage due to the fact of her waking us up during the night from hopping on and off of the bed and she'll poop in the apartment, whereas in cage she won't poop blahblahblahetc.

SO HERE'S MY PROBLEM. Since these people have moved in, they are up all night walking around (in what I can only assume are bloody massive shoes) this can carry on until half 5ish on wards perhaps. This wakes us up constantly, the walls are literally crap I can hear them having conversations right now as I type this.. We've also noticed the dog is beginning to cry more often in the cage at night (coinciding with them moving around at night) We can only assume that them moving around is waking her up and making her think it might be us?? Because sometimes when we're in bed talking she starts to whine a little bit (not always though, mind you)

Basically, what I'm wondering is what the heck can we do? We're not the richest of people and don't really think we're gonna find another place as cheap as this is, especially one that will allow an animal. Don't get me wrong, we're not moody neighbours, because there was a tenant in the apartment above us not so long before they moved in, but they obviously had a normal sleeping pattern and they would be in bed at pretty normal times (probs 2 or something). I wouldn't have a care in the world if they were having parties every now and again, because I mean, that's just normal. Like I don't give a **** that they're up all night, I just hate that they're walking around constantly and that their television is so loud. It'd be different if they weren't up until 5am constantly doing this.. or even if they were and weren't thumping about the place? I feel like I'm sorta contradicting myself, but it's just we both have to get up at early enough times and I sorta feel like surely we goto bed early enough we deserve the sleep we're trying to get if that makes sense. It's also disrupting the dogs timetable, we're supposed to bring her for a walk every morning, but the thing is, with barely any sleep at night it's ******* hard to do it. :(

I don't necessarily think we can complain about them, because it's not like they are partying - it's just they're constantly walking around and their television is loud enough. The other thing I can think of is tha we wear earplugs. But, what about the dog? It seems pretty likely they're the ones stressing her out by banging about. Is there any solutions to stop it from stressing her out? My mother suggested to get a plug thing that's for around Halloween time for the fireworks so it calms them or something, but I've no clue about anything like that and if it'd work for general noise?

TLDR; How do I sleep through noise and how do I stop the noise from stressing my dog out??

+rep to all helpful answers:)

Mark
30-09-2013, 06:12 PM
I would write a letter asking them politely to keep the noise down between certain hours. I think any decent neighbour would respect the reasons you've stated above.

Absently
30-09-2013, 06:30 PM
I would write a letter asking them politely to keep the noise down between certain hours. I think any decent neighbour would respect the reasons you've stated above.
see i'm just worried that writing a letter might aggravate these people ('cus we've not really been introduced to them only said hello in the hallway) it might make them thump around a lot more and hate us :'(

thank you for the suggestion tho +rep

lemons
30-09-2013, 06:32 PM
if it gets really bad contact your council

my next door neighbours dogs always had fights all the time and they would bleed and be locked in the shed at night and not stop barking

then my mum told council (and turns out some other people did as well_ and they had to get rid of one of the dogs :)

Absently
30-09-2013, 06:38 PM
if it gets really bad contact your council

my next door neighbours dogs always had fights all the time and they would bleed and be locked in the shed at night and not stop barking

then my mum told council (and turns out some other people did as well_ and they had to get rid of one of the dogs :)
i don't think our council has much to do with it? (i don't really particularly know about things like that :P) the person above us is our estate agent who we rent from - normally we've gone to her about things, i just don't know if moving around at night is really pathetic to complain about or not :(

lemons
30-09-2013, 06:42 PM
i don't think our council has much to do with it? (i don't really particularly know about things like that :P) the person above us is our estate agent who we rent from - normally we've gone to her about things, i just don't know if moving around at night is really pathetic to complain about or not :(

make it seem worse than it is :)

Empired
30-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Err you could do what Mark said and write a letter or otherwise go up there and talk to them yourselves. Probably better that you do it rather than Jake just because you're female and therefore automatically less threatening/aggravating.

Also might be worth checking what kind of floors they have. I know some landlords (or estate agents, I suppose) make it a requirement for tenants to only have carpets or not have laminated floors 'cause this can make a big difference.

sexpot
30-09-2013, 09:54 PM
steal their shoes

Samantha
30-09-2013, 11:56 PM
This might be a weird idea, but can either of you or your dog sleep when say there's a television on, or music playing? Perhaps you just need to try minimise the noise you get, and earplugs will work, but like you said what about the dog. I sort of get what you mean though, it's not every night, but either we have a baby crying at one side, the couple arguing or on the other side kids arguing with their parents, swearing at the top of their voice and running up and downstairs. It gets so annoying, sometimes sleeping at my boyfriends house is just that peaceful lmao. You could see if there is anything out there for the dog or you, I think perhaps writing to them would help too. It's worth a shot I guess?

scottish
01-10-2013, 12:48 AM
if you normally go to estate agent why not just ask her what she suggests, might not seem the biggest problem but if its negatively impacting your living condition then why not see if she'll have a word with them or suggest you have a word with them or whatever else they may suggest

Liva
02-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I'd try talking to them or writing a letter first, and if they get defensive/continues to disrupt you, then talk to your agent. At least you can say you tried to sort the matter, you'll end up looking like the victims and not the horrible neighbours. :)

Shar
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
polite letters usually work rather than a straight complaint to the council

Yawn
02-10-2013, 11:53 AM
bang a large stick on the roof every time they make loud annoying noises

or write a letter

Meanies
02-10-2013, 12:14 PM
bang a large stick on the roof every time they make loud annoying noises

or write a letter

I was actually thinking that. We'll turn into mr heckles from friends

HE-Joshua
02-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Whats up with the letters? Informal people first speak to them - or speak to your agent.

Most lease agreements have a keep noise down after 10pm rules etc.

Cerys
02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Yeah the letter thing could work. Though as you said it may make the situation worse.

I'd honestly go up there when they're banging at unreasonable hours and simply confront them on it - ask when politely to try keep the noise down as you can't sleep and so on. If that doesn't work I'd assume the best thing to do is go to someone who has actual power over the situation

Empired
02-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I'd honestly go up there when they're banging at unreasonable hours and simply confront them on it
wHAT

o/t: it's looking like you're just gonna have to go round there and be really nice but basically say shut up

Gibs960
02-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Our neighbours were always playing music until like 2am every other day, so we got in touch with the council and yeah, the guy came round and assaulted my dad.... I don't wanna put you off cos that guy was a ******** and I assume any normal neighbour would just be like "yeah, we'll try and be quieter" if you just knock on their door when they wake you up! :)

Cerys
02-10-2013, 07:02 PM
wHAT

o/t: it's looking like you're just gonna have to go round there and be really nice but basically say shut up

LMFAOOOO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT

Stephen
03-10-2013, 01:48 PM
My neighbours play music 7am to 11pm most days

The fat ***** vacuums at 1am sometimes

They slam every door in their house continuously

Also one night at about 3am we looked out the window and one of them was in their garden with a torch planting flowers

Also they leave all their windows open and argue most of time yelling every swearword imaginable at each other

And few years back they knocked on our door and beat my mum up on the doorstep and kicked my dog
Got off with a caution

And and they used to have a dog that they let roam the streets and it killed about 3 cats before it got taken off them

I hate my neighbours

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!