PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 Out Now

AgnesIO
17-10-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/windows_81v2-590x327.jpg

In case you are not aware, you can now get Windows 8.1 from the Windows App Store if you are already on Windows 8 for free.

You can also purchase it if you are still on Windows 7.

----

Downloading mine at the moment, not the fastest download ever though :L

Kardan
17-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Tell me if it's worth it :P

AgnesIO
17-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Hopefully mine will be done before I go to work in 10 minutes.. it is so close to finishing!

Are you already on Windows 8? If so, it is definitely worthwhile.

Kardan
17-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Hopefully mine will be done before I go to work in 10 minutes.. it is so close to finishing!

Are you already on Windows 8? If so, it is definitely worthwhile.

Yeah, I'm on 8, just wondering if 8.1 has any significant improvements :P

Lucy
17-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Been using 8.1 RTM for a few months, it just feels crisper as a whole. Though I don't use the Metro UI myself as I use Start8.

Ardemax
17-10-2013, 03:17 PM

This :)

What are the key differences might I ask?

FlyingPigs
17-10-2013, 04:33 PM
This :)

What are the key differences might I ask?

A redesigned store, advanced Bing search, Start button, ability to open 4 apps at once depending on screen size, and faster IE11.

Downloading it now :)

xxMATTGxx
17-10-2013, 04:57 PM
It's a free update so you may as well download and install it. I haven't done it myself yet but I will do soon.

mrwoooooooo
17-10-2013, 05:28 PM
kinda like asking if you should upgrade android / ios versions :P of course you should

RyRy
17-10-2013, 05:54 PM
I've installed it, kind of regretting it as my sound drivers are incompatible, I think it's done something to my WiFi drivers too because it's going insanely slow now. Also Bluetooth drivers need to be reinstalled, so unfortunately not as straightforward as I would have liked.

Still, the installation of Windows 8.1 up to the point I had to use it was smooth. The Facebook app is top notch too, but I wouldn't recommend jumping straight in just yet.

xxMATTGxx
17-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Also the official Microsoft Remote Desktop app is now available on iOS and Android.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092

Microsoft is providing a new way for iOS and Android users to access their Windows PCs today. A new Remote Desktop app is now available for both operating systems, letting you simply connect to a Windows PC and control it. While a number of third-party solutions have existed previously, including Citrix and others, Microsoft's native support is the latest in its continued push to provide apps across Windows, Android, and iOS.

Remote Desktop, as the name implies, uses the same Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) that Microsoft has used for years across its Windows desktop and server releases to connect to a PC. The app will support all Windows PCs that have Remote Desktop turned on, an optional that's configurable in Control Panel.

Article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4849284/remote-desktop-android-ios-windows-pc

samsaBEAR
17-10-2013, 08:45 PM
I love how they added the Start button back, but didn't actually address the main issue with it being gone in the first place. Looks like I'll be keeping Classic Shell installed!

xxMATTGxx
17-10-2013, 08:59 PM
I love how they added the Start button back, but didn't actually address the main issue with it being gone in the first place. Looks like I'll be keeping Classic Shell installed!

It will never come back.

AgnesIO
17-10-2013, 10:53 PM
Also the official Microsoft Remote Desktop app is now available on iOS and Android.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.rdc.android
iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092

Article: http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4849284/remote-desktop-android-ios-windows-pc

Love that they have released their own RD - always a fan of being integrated with a company.

----

See no need for the start button being on 8.1, also disappointed how the Control Panel now loads up to the desktop straight away. I like how the Metro Desktop looks - slightly more definite tiles, which looks good imo.

Will post more thoughts once I have played with it.

AgnesIO
17-10-2013, 11:43 PM
Just realised I now seem to sign in to windows via my Microsoft Account, not my Windows account as it always used to be.

Streamlined, I guess.

Drunq
18-10-2013, 12:27 AM

It will never come back.

Love that they have released their own RD - always a fan of being integrated with a company.

----

See no need for the start button being on 8.1, also disappointed how the Control Panel now loads up to the desktop straight away. I like how the Metro Desktop looks - slightly more definite tiles, which looks good imo.

Will post more thoughts once I have played with it.

they lieeeeed. they wont bring it back they like the crap metro stuff ergh fgs eww

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2013, 06:03 AM
they lieeeeed. they wont bring it back they like the crap metro stuff ergh fgs eww

How did they lie? They never said it start menu was coming back....

Lucy
18-10-2013, 06:54 AM
People complain about Metro on Windows 8+ a lot, but developers always find a way and its simple enough to "banish" it :) On my old contract at work they just deployed it with Start8.

Drunq
18-10-2013, 07:07 AM
How did they lie? They never said it start menu was coming back....

really so many people moaned about it and i thought they brang it back i have an app for it barely use it its so messy windows 8

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2013, 07:54 AM
really so many people moaned about it and i thought they brang it back i have an app for it barely use it its so messy windows 8

That still doesn't show where they have lied and said they have brought it back. I've ised Windows 8 since the day it came out and noticed that I actually don't use the start screen and also noticed I rearely used the start menu on the screen. I use the search mainly to find what programs I want to open.

AgnesIO
18-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Wish people kept their mouths shut about the start button in the first place. Really didn't change the world not having it

Sent from my HTC One X

peteyt
18-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Wish people kept their mouths shut about the start button in the first place. Really didn't change the world not having it

Sent from my HTC One X

Exactly. The thing that annoys me is most of the people complain about the lack of start menu so don't give it a try. I felt the same when it was first announced but after using windows 8 for a long time now I don't notice it's gone. With the metro start you can do exactly the same but more - search for apps, settings, documents etc.

I have a quick question to - I don't know if this is just for me, but with windows 8 I could hit start and type and get results straight away which I really liked but with 8.1 I have to actually hover to the right to bring the search box up and then type and hit search. Seems a bit odd.

Samantha
18-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Haven't updated yet, but I might do eventually. I'm not sure if this is down to the update, but the screen with all those programmes on has changed and some are now missing or rearranged?

Also, I'm not too fussed about the start menu as I do prefer the way Windows 8 has it.

Mr-Trainor
18-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Is Apple's SuperDrive supported on Windows 8.1? One of the reasons I am still on Windows 7 is because I was told the SuperDrive wouldn't function on Windows 8. So if anyone knows or uses one themselves that'd be great :D.

Lucy
18-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Is Apple's SuperDrive supported on Windows 8.1? One of the reasons I am still on Windows 7 is because I was told the SuperDrive wouldn't function on Windows 8. So if anyone knows or uses one themselves that'd be great :D.
Not entirely certain on 8.1 but I found this for W8? http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1481441.html. No guarantees it works though as I haven't tested it.

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Exactly. The thing that annoys me is most of the people complain about the lack of start menu so don't give it a try. I felt the same when it was first announced but after using windows 8 for a long time now I don't notice it's gone. With the metro start you can do exactly the same but more - search for apps, settings, documents etc.

I have a quick question to - I don't know if this is just for me, but with windows 8 I could hit start and type and get results straight away which I really liked but with 8.1 I have to actually hover to the right to bring the search box up and then type and hit search. Seems a bit odd.

I know search has had changes made to it but I'm still able to do it the same way as it was in 8. Start screen and start typing away etc.

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

Just realised I now seem to sign in to windows via my Microsoft Account, not my Windows account as it always used to be.

Streamlined, I guess.

Yeah I noticed that to and then I changed it back to my local account like I had it before the update haha :P

Stephen
18-10-2013, 06:33 PM
grrr **** you microsoft

since updating to 8.1 my line in is really crackly so now I can't use my ps3 sound cos i pass it through my line in so i can listen with my usb headset :@

xxMATTGxx
18-10-2013, 07:00 PM
grrr **** you microsoft

since updating to 8.1 my line in is really crackly so now I can't use my ps3 sound cos i pass it through my line in so i can listen with my usb headset :@

Tried updating the sound drivers?

AgnesIO
18-10-2013, 07:10 PM

Exactly, just a bunch of people with this hate of change. Most people who are screaming about it really don't even understand what the issue is.

Haven't updated yet, but I might do eventually. I'm not sure if this is down to the update, but the screen with all those programmes on has changed and some are now missing or rearranged?

Also, I'm not too fussed about the start menu as I do prefer the way Windows 8 has it.

Just update - if only for security patches.

I know search has had changes made to it but I'm still able to do it the same way as it was in 8. Start screen and start typing away etc.

---------- Post added 18-10-2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

Yeah I noticed that to and then I changed it back to my local account like I had it before the update haha :P

Yeah, will do the same myself. If it was gmail.. then I'd do it :L

peteyt
18-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Weird doesn't work that way for me but posted on some forums. Hopefully there's a fix as I'm too lazy to move to the search button ha

AgnesIO
18-10-2013, 08:32 PM
I should also point out that a right click on the start button brings up all the "geek" options.

Drunq
18-10-2013, 11:13 PM
I can't ******* download it!!! anyone else havin problems?? It says App Store won't connect?

AgnesIO
18-10-2013, 11:23 PM
I can't ******* download it!!! anyone else havin problems?? It says App Store won't connect?

I assume you are connected to the internet? Signed in to your account? Legitimate copy of Windows (not that that should matter)?

Stephen
19-10-2013, 09:11 AM
******* ****KKKKKK

computer won't work at all now. Just loads to a black screen straight after the windows loading thing

AgnesIO
19-10-2013, 11:29 AM
******* ****KKKKKK

computer won't work at all now. Just loads to a black screen straight after the windows loading thing

Damn, that is unlucky :L Are you on a custom build?

Drunq
19-10-2013, 02:29 PM
ommmmg i hate when u get the huge start screen though i mean wtf its as if u dont have a desktop

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 03:32 PM ----------

I assume you are connected to the internet? Signed in to your account? Legitimate copy of Windows (not that that should matter)?

shut up its brand new computer it did say high server volume idek what to do i guess ill wait! :( fine

xxMATTGxx
19-10-2013, 05:00 PM
ommmmg i hate when u get the huge start screen though i mean wtf its as if u dont have a desktop

---------- Post added 19-10-2013 at 03:32 PM ----------

shut up its brand new computer it did say high server volume idek what to do i guess ill wait! :( fine

Have you only just got Windows 8 or something?

Drunq
19-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Have you only just got Windows 8 or something?

yeah why like 5 months ago now?

xxMATTGxx
19-10-2013, 05:39 PM
yeah why like 5 months ago now?

It's just your comment about the huge start screen in an 8.1 thread when it's been in 8 since it was launched :P

Drunq
19-10-2013, 05:48 PM
It's just your comment about the huge start screen in an 8.1 thread when it's been in 8 since it was launched :P

Yeah but I don't use it lol

Recursion
19-10-2013, 06:14 PM

It's always worked with XP/7/8/8.1 for me. We deploy Windows 8/8.1 on Bootcamp at work on Macs.

RyRy
19-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Nah I hit windows key and search as normal, just it comes up with the box. Dunno what you mean. :P

mrwoooooooo
19-10-2013, 09:50 PM
8.1 search is a hell of a lot better, was stupid having to click file, settings and whatever the other option was

Mr-Trainor
20-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Not entirely certain on 8.1 but I found this for W8? http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1481441.html. No guarantees it works though as I haven't tested it.

It's always worked with XP/7/8/8.1 for me. We deploy Windows 8/8.1 on Bootcamp at work on Macs.
Oo ok thanks both of you for the responses. I think I may as well upgrade then :).

awsomlycute
20-10-2013, 10:17 AM
I still have windows 7 i don't like windows 8 :(

AgnesIO
21-10-2013, 07:02 PM
I still have windows 7 i don't like windows 8 :(

May I ask why?

Mr-Trainor
21-10-2013, 07:34 PM
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 yesterday evening and I really like it :D. And just to confirm; my SuperDrive does work :).

AgnesIO
21-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 yesterday evening and I really like it :D. And just to confirm; my SuperDrive does work :).

Great move!

The biggest thing for me is probably boot times.

awsomlycute
21-10-2013, 07:50 PM
May I ask why?
I just don't like the tile thing and how they got rid of aero and just overall i think it is a bad system, it still has a lot of things wrong with it and i think it was more designed with tablet users in mind than pc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!