PDA

View Full Version : ITV Player to Block Ad-Blockers

AgnesIO
29-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Just received this message on ITV Player, I thought it might interest a lot of you. Probably unsurprising, I mean all these relatively new technology advancements will slowly become smarter (as has happened with pirating etc)...

http://i39.tinypic.com/b9dhxx.png

Chippiewill
29-10-2013, 08:41 PM
It's been consistently shown that in an arms race between ad blockers and people trying to stop ad blockers that the ad blockers win.

AgnesIO
29-10-2013, 08:43 PM
It's been consistently shown that in an arms race between ad blockers and people trying to stop ad blockers that the ad blockers win.

I imagine the more standard consumers will face advertisements. I imagine part of the reason is there are far more people who want rid of adverts, than those who want them :L

Mikey
29-10-2013, 09:49 PM
noooo
;[

j0rd
29-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Understandable. I bet YouTube will do something like this soon too

xxMATTGxx
29-10-2013, 10:05 PM
If they improved the ITV player and made it to the standards of BBC iPlayer then I wouldn't mind having to watch adverts.

David
29-10-2013, 10:10 PM

habbox being a good example lol

Understandable. I bet YouTube will do something like this soon too

if they do, there will be a work around in pretty much no time afterwards.

havent used any players like this in years anyway, im on the boat that downloads the show instead.

Red
29-10-2013, 10:14 PM
The amount of ads are ridiculous. I don't use adblock so usually i'll wait untill its uploaded somewhere else. Think they are trying to block people from n.ireland using it also. It asked me to enter a postcode but I just put an English one in and it worked lmao

Chris
29-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I've noticed this recently. I find itv player to be a complete pain anyway so I will just stop using it when this happens.

AgnesIO
29-10-2013, 10:35 PM
I've noticed this recently. I find itv player to be a complete pain anyway so I will just stop using it when this happens.

Yeah, annoys me how half the videos want me to sign in..

Just let me watch the content!

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Chippiewill
29-10-2013, 10:38 PM
habbox being a good example lol
Well in that case it was more a case of recursion being **** at javascript.

Yawn
29-10-2013, 11:01 PM
i hope there is a blocker to block the adblocker blocker

never use itv player anyway nothing worth watching

Mark
29-10-2013, 11:15 PM
If they improved the ITV player and made it to the standards of BBC iPlayer then I wouldn't mind having to watch adverts.

Agreed. Really pisses me off the 3/4 minute ads you get on it then if you go on Sky catch up you can fast forward them all...

lemons
29-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Fair enough

Don't really use online catch-ups anyway I just watch stuff on itv+1 c4+1 c5+1

Can't wait until there is bbc1+1 soon

peteyt
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I'm all for watching adverts but ITV Player has far too many especially if your watching a long program. Also if you want to watch a program part way through and you haven't watched it yet e.g. if you want to skip the live performances on x factor's result show just to get to the results you usually have to watch the opening adverts move it to the segment you want to watch and watch a load more adverts to.

I've got a degree in film and tv production so I do fully understand the problem and why ITV are doing it but I do think there could be a better way to do it.

AgnesIO
02-11-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm all for watching adverts but ITV Player has far too many especially if your watching a long program. Also if you want to watch a program part way through and you haven't watched it yet e.g. if you want to skip the live performances on x factor's result show just to get to the results you usually have to watch the opening adverts move it to the segment you want to watch and watch a load more adverts to.

I've got a degree in film and tv production so I do fully understand the problem and why ITV are doing it but I do think there could be a better way to do it.

I don't think you need a degree to work out the need for adverts... lol

mrwoooooooo
02-11-2013, 08:06 PM
people actually use itv player?

peteyt
03-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I don't think you need a degree to work out the need for adverts... lol

Lol obviously not but I can appreciate them more as an important method of funding

AgnesIO
03-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Lol obviously not but I can appreciate them more as an important method of funding

Yeah, that still doesn't take a degree lol

Sent from my HTC One X

Chippiewill
03-11-2013, 01:40 PM

There are fewer costs associated with digital distribution.

peteyt
03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah, that still doesn't take a degree lol

Sent from my HTC One X

You'd be surprised. The amount of people on my degree who used to go on about how bad it was to download film illegally but downloaded TV shows used to annoy me. I mean if everyone downloads a TV show like a film, they'll think the viewing figures are bad and it could get cancelled. Or there's the people thinking everything should be free e.g. films, Music etc. It can cost a lot of money to make these things.

In the same way, a lot of people view adverts as an annoyance and most forget that without them we wouldn't be able to have the same content as we currently have. The BBC obviously don't have adverts because they are paid for by the TV license. A lot dislike this but if they went private we'd get a lot of adverts and not the same content we currently get as the BBC is obliged to give a mix of content due to the fact we pay for it.

GommeInc
03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
The ITV Player app (if that's what they're called?) on Samsung Smart TV sets is a real pest. It's timetabling doesn't make any sense - I was hunting down one of the Coronation Streets for Monday and it only cared about the last episode for the evening, and ignored the first. I had to go on the computer attached to the TV to find it which is where this message came up (bringing this nicely back to on topic :P) Not to mention the search functionality of the channel makes no sense and just half-heartedly lists suggestions.

That said, it makes sense for them to block Ad-Blocker, but if they do not make a nice service they're just going to get a backlash. 4 on Demand is nicer.

AgnesIO
03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
You'd be surprised. The amount of people on my degree who used to go on about how bad it was to download film illegally but downloaded TV shows used to annoy me. I mean if everyone downloads a TV show like a film, they'll think the viewing figures are bad and it could get cancelled. Or there's the people thinking everything should be free e.g. films, Music etc. It can cost a lot of money to make these things.

In the same way, a lot of people view adverts as an annoyance and most forget that without them we wouldn't be able to have the same content as we currently have. The BBC obviously don't have adverts because they are paid for by the TV license. A lot dislike this but if they went private we'd get a lot of adverts and not the same content we currently get as the BBC is obliged to give a mix of content due to the fact we pay for it.

Well, for the record I am not currently the holder of the degree, and am perfectly capable of working out the need for adverts :L I find too many people go to University who would probably be better off in a more hands-on job.

Recursion
03-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Well in that case it was more a case of recursion being **** at javascript.

ಠ_ಠ I'm watching you.

Happy-Tomato
05-11-2013, 02:45 PM
i got that too! http://prntscr.com/2230e8

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!