PDA

View Full Version : New Router

RealClifford
01-11-2013, 02:04 AM
So, I just managed to score a free new router via a Facebook Comp with a local hardware company in Australia.
I'm curious on people's thoughts on it.

My networking skills are quite limited currently, but would lve to learn more. This actually looks quite nice from my first look, but thought there might be some more people with more experience than I that could give an opinion on how it might fair and I possibly might learn something at the same time.

Router: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1438&products_id=23560

RyRy
01-11-2013, 02:38 AM
That's a pretty decent router given you got it for free too, I'd be chuffed with that. I'll go through it from the specs sheet:

Supports 802.11ac - The next generation of Wi-Fi - I could potentially reach triple speeds of what current Wi-Fi does now, if your device supported it
Dual band - for combined wireless speeds of up to 1.75Gbps at 2.4GHz and 5GHz band concurrently - More to do with signal strength I believe, most devices 2.4GHz, shouldn't really need to worry.
3z 5dBi external antennas and 3 internal antennas provide maximum Omni-directional wireless coverage and reliability -3 anntennas are better than 2 :P
Full gigabit ports ensure ultra fast data transfer speeds - basic router function, but hey gigabit is great
Dual USB Ports - easily share printers, files or media with your friends or family locally or over the Internet - basically saying you can do network printing, which is handy if youve got an old printer which hasnt got a USB port. likewise, can plug in an external hard drive, sorted.
Guest Network Access provides secure Wi-Fi access for guests sharing your home or office network - does what it says on the tin
IPv6 supported, meeting the demands for the next generation of Internet - good to have given that's coming in sooner or later
IP-based Bandwidth Control makes it easier for you to manage the bandwidth of devices connected to the router basically limits the speed of other people, means you can have a fast connection on your xbox whereas everybody else suffers trying to stream iplayer at a 200kbps limit (NEVER DID THAT HONEST)
Wi-Fi On/Off Button allows users to turn their wireless radio on or off meh
Easy one-touch WPA wireless security encryption with the WPS button meh meh
WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK encryptions provide user networks with active defense against security threats meh meh meh
Easy Setup Assistant with multi-language support provides a quick & hassle free installation process cool
Compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac products thats nice

TP-Link aren't exactly a bad brand either, they have been upping their game a bit although they had a security breach a year back where everybody had to upgrade firmware else their routers were compromised or something like that lol. Overall, you've got a bit of a bargain there.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!