PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Computer HELP!

MilksAreUs
01-11-2013, 01:10 PM
So for Christmas, I told my parents i'd like a Desktop Computer. I've been looking on Currys, but they only have one in my price range (£300 or below), and i'm not even sure that it will suit my computing needs.

I go on the internet alot (Facebook, Habbo, schoolwork), and I play Minecraft. I will need it to have a decent amount of memory and RAM for editing videos (I want to start youtubing) and recording Minecraft footage. Any ideas?

mrwoooooooo
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
not for £300 unfortunately

Calum0812
02-11-2013, 08:47 AM
Looks like you like in the UK (from your location on your profile).

For cheap computers that are actually really good quality, I'd suggest Novatech. Have a browse on their website and find one that suits your budget. I almost guarantee it's cheaper than the spec for spec equivalent from the likes of DELL and HP.

lawrawrrr
02-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I have this one - http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Acer_X3_Consumer_Desktop__DT.SJLEK.015/version.asp (although I got it off ebuyer) and I really love it. Upgraded RAM and things so the overall price was a bit higher but the base model is absolutely great on it's own. And it's a mini tower so it fits nicely everywhere ;D

Explorator
02-11-2013, 12:39 PM
£300 can get you the basic desktop computer. You would be able to browse the internet on it, and probably play on habbo, but you would definitely struggle to push high FPS on Minecraft out of it.

If you were to raise your price to say £450, you may be able to get a computer good enough to do Minecraft and maybe play some more FPS demanding games.

Happy-Tomato
02-11-2013, 03:21 PM
I would recommend building your own computer... I built my own and it has 10GB RAM, 3.2GHz overclocked to 4.2GHz, A pretty high end GPU and it is running pretty well. If you want me to design a good PC for you, just PM me, I saw that you were looking to spend around £300, if you were to go for a pre-built computer, I would recommend spending a tenner over your budget and getting this: http://www.cclonline.com/product/115753/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Gem-Czar-II-Business-PC/CCL-BUS-ENT2/
If you absolutely HAVE to spend £300 or under, I would recommend this: http://www.cclonline.com/product/85716/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Brightspark-Kona-Mini-Education-PC/CCL-EDU-MID1/

I would go for the computer for £309.98 because it has a 1TB Hard drive, which is really essential for Video editing.
Both of these systems WILL run Minecraft at 60FPS Solid!

CCL Are a really trusted supplier, hat's where i bought all of the parts for my computer, and it is still running today. Just for a bit more insight on CCL, they have been around since before 2000, and everyone I know who have used CCL are extremely happy with the outcome

mrwoooooooo
02-11-2013, 06:28 PM
I would recommend building your own computer... I built my own and it has 10GB RAM, 3.2GHz overclocked to 4.2GHz, A pretty high end GPU and it is running pretty well. If you want me to design a good PC for you, just PM me, I saw that you were looking to spend around £300, if you were to go for a pre-built computer, I would recommend spending a tenner over your budget and getting this: http://www.cclonline.com/product/115753/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Gem-Czar-II-Business-PC/CCL-BUS-ENT2/
If you absolutely HAVE to spend £300 or under, I would recommend this: http://www.cclonline.com/product/85716/NoMfgCode/All-CCL-Desktops/CCL-Brightspark-Kona-Mini-Education-PC/CCL-EDU-MID1/

I would go for the computer for £309.98 because it has a 1TB Hard drive, which is really essential for Video editing.

CCL Are a really trusted supplier, hat's where i bought all of the parts for my computer, and it is still running today. Just for a bit more insight on CCL, they have been around since before 2000, and everyone I know who have used CCL are extremely happy with the outcome
i doubt either of them will be able to play it at 60fps

Futz
02-11-2013, 06:38 PM
I'd recommend building one usually you can find deals on various components but you may not want to

If not just buy a laptop, computers without dedicated gpus can run minecraft no prob

Happy-Tomato
03-11-2013, 02:08 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Both of them WILL definitely play it at 60FPS
i doubt either of them will be able to play it at 60fps

mrwoooooooo
03-11-2013, 06:31 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Both of them WILL definitely play it at 60FPS

On the lowest settings, maybe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Happy-Tomato
03-11-2013, 06:39 AM
You can think what you want. I don't want an argument or anything, but I know for sure thas on average settings it will run at 60FPS
On the lowest settings, maybe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

MilksAreUs
03-11-2013, 08:38 PM

Tbh, not a bad buy, but are you sure they are trusted? I mean, I know youve said they are but I dont want to be buying from any old bugger now do I?

Also, you have to buy the software extra (when you click which one you want, it will add up a different price)...

Happy-Tomato
05-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Yes! they are very trusted. You can get a copy of Windows on Ebay for about a tenner anyway. I live quite near CCL and whenever I need to upgrade my PC I always take the bus there!

MilksAreUs
05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Yes! they are very trusted. You can get a copy of Windows on Ebay for about a tenner anyway. I live quite near CCL and whenever I need to upgrade my PC I always take the bus there!
Wheres their nearest shop? or is there only one? And could you find me a Windows 7 for£10? Happy-Tomato;

scottish
05-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Never heard of CCL in my life, so obviously not a known PC components retailer.

Yeah a copy which is torrented for a tenner maybe.

MilksAreUs
05-11-2013, 09:25 PM
My friend said I should get this for now;
http://www.pcfixshop.co.uk/pcbuild_basic.htm

And upgrade it over time...

scottish
05-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Well that site looks dodgy as ****.

MilksAreUs
05-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Really? :S

AgnesIO
05-11-2013, 09:32 PM

8gb of ram, yet such a pathetic processor.

Grim.

scottish
05-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Really? :S

Yes.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
http://www.ebuyer.com/
http://www.aria.co.uk/

etc for proper UK retailers.

iGenius
05-11-2013, 09:35 PM
So for Christmas, I told my parents i'd like a Desktop Computer. I've been looking on Currys, but they only have one in my price range (£300 or below), and i'm not even sure that it will suit my computing needs.

I go on the internet alot (Facebook, Habbo, schoolwork), and I play Minecraft. I will need it to have a decent amount of memory and RAM for editing videos (I want to start youtubing) and recording Minecraft footage. Any ideas?

Mate, You can purchase the components for your Desktop pc from Aria, and build up a decent spec system for around £300. Id try to budget £300 - £500 if you can though, it gives you more wiggle room for better components and even a decent Graphics card.

AgnesIO
05-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Mate, You can purchase the components for your Desktop pc from Aria, and build up a decent spec system for around £300. Id try to budget £300 - £500 if you can though, it gives you more wiggle room for better components and even a decent Graphics card.

It is a Christmas present. I imagine he is grateful his parents are willing to spend £300...

iGenius
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
It is a Christmas present. I imagine he is grateful his parents are willing to spend £300...

Thats a fair point, but people have savings and such. I was given a similar christmas present and added to the pot. It was a suggestion of If he could stretch the budget.

MilksAreUs
05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Thats a fair point, but people have savings and such. I was given a similar christmas present and added to the pot. It was a suggestion of If he could stretch the budget.

Well mum and dad said if I put however much of my money I get for xmas/birthday then I can have it...

RealClifford
06-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Honestly for what you are trying to do, do you feel confident in building your own PC?

If so, I'd suggest using that money and start buying components as they are on sale. Slowly build up untily ou have what you need to build the desired PC specs.
This will then allow you to do what it is you wish to do, a bit slower, but at a lower price, and still be as practical as possible.

I did this. I bought my baseline PC, and have slowly upgraded it over time as I have needed to.
I now have a fully custom PC that runs BF4 at 80-120FPS depending on Maps and if I am recording or not.

Unfortunately I can't help much with pricing as I am Australian therefore everything is much different over here. But I can help with general builds, and what is good bang for buck and such.

MilksAreUs
06-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Honestly for what you are trying to do, do you feel confident in building your own PC?

If so, I'd suggest using that money and start buying components as they are on sale. Slowly build up untily ou have what you need to build the desired PC specs.
This will then allow you to do what it is you wish to do, a bit slower, but at a lower price, and still be as practical as possible.

I did this. I bought my baseline PC, and have slowly upgraded it over time as I have needed to.
I now have a fully custom PC that runs BF4 at 80-120FPS depending on Maps and if I am recording or not.

Unfortunately I can't help much with pricing as I am Australian therefore everything is much different over here. But I can help with general builds, and what is good bang for buck and such.
I would never know where to start when building a PC, thats why I might go with a basic one, then upgrade it over time?

Happy-Tomato
06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
3.0GHz with 2 cores. It's a pretty solid CPU, and the RAM is 1600MHz. They will work well together.
8gb of ram, yet such a pathetic processor.

Grim.

AgnesIO
06-11-2013, 01:55 PM
3.0GHz with 2 cores. It's a pretty solid CPU, and the RAM is 1600MHz. They will work well together.

Sorry but it simply isn't. The CPU costs £40 - that isn't solid.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

Happy-Tomato
06-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Just because its a £40 CPU doesn't mean it isnt solid. Its not as good as a 3570K or an AMD A8-5600K, however, it is perfect for what he is going to be doing. and I used the word solid as in its worth £40 and will run well...
Sorry but it simply isn't. The CPU costs £40 - that isn't solid.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

RealClifford
06-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Just because its a £40 CPU doesn't mean it isnt solid. Its not as good as a 3570K or an AMD A8-5600K, however, it is perfect for what he is going to be doing. and I used the word solid as in its worth £40 and will run well...

Ewwwww... It's a Core 2 Duo.
If he plans on doing ANYTHING other than web browsing or general use such as Video Rendering, or Top End Gaming, this will die.
This will get slaughtered on BF4. I have a Quad Core 3.30GhZ and it MAX's on BF4...

If you plan on doing anything next gen this will fail. It's short sighted, and pointless. Sorry, mate but you're wrong.

OllzIsTasty
07-11-2013, 09:38 AM
www.ebuyer.com - check this out! :)

Happy-Tomato
18-04-2014, 09:12 PM
People actually saying CCL aren't heard of. Come to West Yorkshire and everyone knows them......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!