PDA

View Full Version : iPad Air: Released Today

Mr-Trainor
01-11-2013, 09:34 PM
http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-ipad/ipad-air

With the exception of the 128gb cellular models, all options are still currently available to ship within 24 hours. They went on sale this morning.

Did anyone buy one? Anyone planning to buy one?
I had a look at the iPad Mini and Air today and I will just say don't expect the Air to be really light - it felt heavy compared to the Mini (which I guess you'd expect anyway :P). I won't be buying an Air, but I'm looking to buy a 1st gen mini.

Samantha
01-11-2013, 09:44 PM
Unfortunately, I've never bothered with Apple products much - I have an iPod Shuffle I have never used and the only time I used Macs were in Media Studies!

xxMATTGxx
01-11-2013, 10:42 PM
I've never actually owned an iPad before and probably wouldn't use it that much. Mostly due to the fact that I have my iPhone and If I wanted something a bit bigger and mobile then I now have my MacBook. They are decent tablets though for anyone who is looking into getting one.

Chris
01-11-2013, 10:51 PM
Not interested in the iPad at the moment. I have an iPad 2 which works perfectly well for what I use it for.

Explorator
01-11-2013, 11:12 PM
The all new, brilliant, light iPad Air!

New features list:
Breaks easier,

That's about it for the features.

Seriously, Apple are milking it now, we don't need 2 new iPads a year and 3 new iPhones.

GommeInc
01-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Seems a pointless product really. It's as if Apple have thrown away the "obvious things to avoid when making products". Why have they made the iPad Air which directly competes against the iPad? It's a product that doesn't really serve a purpose :/

xxMATTGxx
02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

New features list:
Breaks easier,

Seriously, Apple are milking it now, we don't need 2 new iPads a year and 3 new iPhones.

There's only 2 iPhone models that were released this year? iPhone 5S and 5C. I think the Mini out of the iPads will probably sell hot cake this year/next year due to people liking the form factor and now that it has a retina display makes it even better.

Explorator
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
There's only 2 iPhone models that were released this year? iPhone 5S and 5C. I think the Mini out of the iPads will probably sell hot cake this year/next year due to people liking the form factor and now that it has a retina display makes it even better.

Ah, I thought the 5 was released this year, my mistake. But they do have too little space between launching their new products. I have an iPad mini and I love it, but I think Apple are going overboard in bringing out new products that we don't even need.

xxMATTGxx
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Ah, I thought the 5 was released this year, my mistake. But they do have too little space between launching their new products. I have an iPad mini and I love it, but I think Apple are going overboard in bringing out new products that we don't even need.

The iPhones are on a yearly basis and I think that's good enough. Any longer would probably be too long - It's not like they are the other phone companies who produce multiple models of mobile phones and release them most months of the year.

They update their products to keep them in the lead or competitive against the other companies. Keep updating the hardware/adding new features etc etc.

The good thing about all of this is that you don't actuality have to buy any of the products. They are there if you want them :P

Re-Call
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
I love my iPad I have the very 1st iPad released and sure it now has a few scratches but still works fine but it's starting to get really slow & frustrating and with no updates from Apple it's getting to the point where I need to upgrade!
My mum has a samsung tablet and I hate using it!.. Im too much of an apple snob but I don't like the feel of the samsung tablets..
If I had the money i'd totally buy the new iPad Air! Maybe for christmas :P

AgnesIO
02-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Thinner, lighter, faster..

Yawn :L

Having said that, realistically there really are not that many innovations for tablets around at the moment. They still largely play the role of giant mobile phones.

Mr-Trainor
02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Not interested in the iPad at the moment. I have an iPad 2 which works perfectly well for what I use it for.
Yeah same. Mine does go slow sometimes though, but it should last another year :P.

New features list:
Breaks easier,

How does it break easier than before :P? And are you suggesting they just left us with the original iPad and never came out with a new one?

Seems a pointless product really. It's as if Apple have thrown away the "obvious things to avoid when making products". Why have they made the iPad Air which directly competes against the iPad? It's a product that doesn't really serve a purpose :/
The iPad Air is just the new iPad? Unless I've misunderstood you :S.

Plus the fact that it has pretty much the same hardware as the Air as well - so it's either portability or bigger screen.

Explorator
02-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Yeah same. Mine does go slow sometimes though, but it should last another year :P.

How does it break easier than before :P? And are you suggesting they just left us with the original iPad and never came out with a new one?

The iPad Air is just the new iPad? Unless I've misunderstood you :S.

Plus the fact that it has pretty much the same hardware as the Air as well - so it's either portability or bigger screen.

They have barely added anything yes, and from assumptions of it being thinner and lighter, you can highly presume that it can break easier.

GommeInc
03-11-2013, 12:26 AM
The iPad Air is just the new iPad? Unless I've misunderstood you :S
Wait, so the iPad brand is now called iPad Air? So what's an iPad? Have Apple mucked up their product names somehow? :S

AgnesIO
03-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Wait, so the iPad brand is now called iPad Air? So what's an iPad? Have Apple mucked up their product names somehow? :S

No, it is like having an iPad 5, but since they've released so many iPads recently, it makes more sense to let everyone know which one is new. The iPad 2 is simply decoy marketing.

Sent from my HTC One X

GommeInc
03-11-2013, 02:40 PM
No, it is like having an iPad 5, but since they've released so many iPads recently, it makes more sense to let everyone know which one is new. The iPad 2 is simply decoy marketing.

Sent from my HTC One X
So the iPad Air is just the iPad (5th generation)? Can't they just call it the iPad and ignore what generation it is as they've been doing with the Touch, Nano etc? They seem to just dig themselves holes for no necessary reason :/ So the 6th iPad is going to be called the iPad Air 2? It's very silly of them. Ford, Vauxhall et al just name their new cars the same as the old one, and just call it the latest model. Not sure why Apple (and Google/ASUS with the Nexus 7 for that matter) bother with adding a number. It's unnecessary - staff are trained in retailers to know what generation/Mark a product is in and they can relay this information to the customer - it's basic retail management skills :/

It's as if electronic consumable companies have lost all common sense :P

AgnesIO
03-11-2013, 04:14 PM
So the iPad Air is just the iPad (5th generation)? Can't they just call it the iPad and ignore what generation it is as they've been doing with the Touch, Nano etc? They seem to just dig themselves holes for no necessary reason :/ So the 6th iPad is going to be called the iPad Air 2? It's very silly of them. Ford, Vauxhall et al just name their new cars the same as the old one, and just call it the latest model. Not sure why Apple (and Google/ASUS with the Nexus 7 for that matter) bother with adding a number. It's unnecessary - staff are trained in retailers to know what generation/Mark a product is in and they can relay this information to the customer - it's basic retail management skills :/

It's as if electronic consumable companies have lost all common sense :P

It is all done for decoy marketing. The iPad 2 is merely there at the price it is so people think "oh for only $100 more I can get the iPad Air" - which does sound much better than the iPad 5 lol

The next iPad might drop the moniker, or they may go on and create two separate sub-brands (like they have with the Air and Pro laptop range).

iPad Pro? You saw it here first.

GommeInc
03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
iPad Pro? You saw it here first.
Microsoft might get a bit angry since they released the Surface Pro but we'll let them slug it out :P

Do they really need a decoy? The Mini pretty much does the job :P

AgnesIO
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Microsoft might get a bit angry since they released the Surface Pro but we'll let them slug it out :P

Do they really need a decoy? The Mini pretty much does the job :P

The Mini isn't really a decoy - Apple don't WANT people to buy the Air over the Mini, the Mini is selling far better than the larger iPad. The point in a decoy is to get people to think "I may as well get the better one" - the mini is essentially just becoming the same as the big iPad, apart from screen size.

Demi
05-11-2013, 09:01 PM
I own a lot of Apple products, but really just another new useless updated product.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!