PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to Club Tropica?

Zak
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
I remember the hype over Club Tropica..... what ever happened to it? I tried to visit their webpage and I just got site under construction.

It was never finished was it? and then they abandoned the idea and made it like a social networking thing?

GoldenMerc
04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Not ever sure who owned it but Just-one from here was a director

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Kardan
04-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Did Callie even work on it?

zombies
04-11-2013, 01:42 PM
didn't helkat join that too?

j0rd
04-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Loads of ex-staff worked there
I'm sure James (Dionysus) was running it towards the end

Kardan
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM
Loads of ex-staff worked there
I'm sure James (Dionysus) was running it towards the end

What? Dionysus only left Sulake recently (like last December?) and he isn't called James...

j0rd
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
What? Dionysus only left Sulake recently (like last December?) and he isn't called James...

Well whoever James was on Habbo, he was ex-staff though

Kardan
04-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Well whoever James was on Habbo, he was ex-staff though

I remember James that ran ClubTropica, but wasn't that Just-One? He wasn't staff?

j0rd
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
I remember James that ran ClubTropica, but wasn't that Just-One? He wasn't staff?

Disarno? That was him wasn't it?

Kardan
04-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Disarno? That was him wasn't it?

Disarno went to CT... I had to check though, since I thought Disarno left way after CT opened, but turns out he left 6 years ago. How time flies. I haven't got a clue if he was called James :P

AgnesIO
04-11-2013, 02:47 PM
If it actually became a virtual world, like was once planned, it would have been absolutely fantastic. I think they were far too ambitious, and announced things that simply were not happening.

xxMATTGxx
04-11-2013, 07:44 PM
To be honest by the looks of the Google Searches I did - I don't think it had that much success or any at all. Although I did find a thread on WebHostingTalk about job offers for it with one of the directors being called:

James ***
IT Director
ClubTropica UK Ltd

I then decided to search the company on CompanyHouse to see if it brings up anything which brought up:

Name & Registered Office:
CLUBTROPICA UK LTD
UNIT 10 ELM HOUSE WILLOWBANK
CLAYGATE LANE
THAMES DITTON
SURREY
KT7 0LE
Company No. 06452202

Date of Incorporation: 12/12/2007

This James *** person has this on his LinkedIn about ClubTropica:

Lead Developer
ClubTropica UK Ltd

November 2007 – February 2009 (1 year 4 months)

ClubTropica envisions becoming the next habbo crossed with Facebook aimed at older teenagers. I was project managing the development of the Shockwave Client element, the backend server development, and the front end website development. I was also highly involved in the custom PHP CMS development. The website is based off PHP and MySQL engines using a CMS platform I created from scratch, and currently has 15,000 members. I also developed a multi-threaded socket server for the shockwave client using PHPCLI using OO PHP, which was exciting for me as it was a first for me to use PHP to develop something that Java would usually take the place of.

AgnesIO
04-11-2013, 07:52 PM
To be honest by the looks of the Google Searches I did - I don't think it had that much success or any at all. Although I did find a thread on WebHostingTalk about job offers for it with one of the directions being called:

I then decided to search the company on CompanyHouse to see if it brings up anything which brought up:

This James *** person has this on his LinkedIn about ClubTropica:

The LinkedIn description is rather amusing, baring in mind that everything he apparently did has come to... nothing.

Interesting to see the company was dissolved 3 years ago, as well.

xxMATTGxx
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
The LinkedIn description is rather amusing, baring in mind that everything he apparently did has come to... nothing.

Interesting to see the company was dissolved 3 years ago, as well.

Yeah, by the looks of it James is the also the person who is most likely keeping the domain/site as well.

e5
04-11-2013, 08:13 PM
It was run by ione or was that medi-kidz? oh yeah it was. god I remember the huge hype over club tropica which I think Callie went to lol but it was a flop n they didn't make a client
Did Callie even work on it?

Kardan
04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
It was run by ione or was that medi-kidz? oh yeah it was. god I remember the huge hype over club tropica which I think Callie went to lol but it was a flop n they didn't make a client

Ione was long gone before any of this. You might be thinking of Becs who did Moshi Monsters.

IceNineKills
04-11-2013, 09:03 PM
whenever i seen that name, i was reminded of a drink.

Kardan
04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
James *** is Just-One; And how can you not be reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYX0sjP6Za8

e5
04-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Noo ione did medikidz definitely because I remember she wrote on my guestbook when we had it saying she was trying to contact me about it, but callie did club tropica yeah

Ione was long gone before any of this. You might be thinking of Becs who did Moshi Monsters.

xxMATTGxx
04-11-2013, 11:03 PM
James *** is Just-One; And how can you not be reminded of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYX0sjP6Za8

Would make sense, he's also been part of the police force as well then! :P

Zak
08-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Aww that's a shame. It's cool to know. I'm surprised we never found about this sooner.. 3 years on :P It was a shame they never released the client but I agree with Marketing.. they were promising things that simply weren't happening

HOSKO02
08-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Was there ever any decent concept art for this site, was it isometric etc? Very slim pickings online.

AgnesIO
08-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Was there ever any decent concept art for this site, was it isometric etc? Very slim pickings online.

There used to be a reasonable amount of screenshots, but I guess years of not being wanted pushes them down the google image search rankings...

dbgtz
08-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Noo ione did medikidz definitely because I remember she wrote on my guestbook when we had it saying she was trying to contact me about it, but callie did club tropica yeah

were you a tester for that too?

GoldenMerc
09-11-2013, 10:27 AM
The pictures for it looked really good

HOSKO02
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
There used to be a reasonable amount of screenshots, but I guess years of not being wanted pushes them down the google image search rankings...

Yeah it's been very different for a while, scrolling now renders you into unrelated territory a lot quicker then it used to, maybe they're lost!

e5
10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
were you a tester for that too?

Yeah, kind of but I don't remember doing much

GoldenMerc
10-11-2013, 06:07 PM
We'll be right back

ClubTropica is currently down whilst we improve our services; we plan to be online very soon!

Thank you for your patience.

So they've gone for good, wonder how many people bought credits on it :o

xxMATTGxx
10-11-2013, 09:46 PM
So they've gone for good, wonder how many people bought credits on it :o

I would say that message on the site has been up for a good few years now.

GoldenMerc
10-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I would say that message on the site has been up for a good few years now.

Really? Im sure I looked at it not that long ago, prob 3+ months ago? maybe Im wrong then haha

Lewis
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM
can anyone post screenshots if possible?

AgnesIO
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Really? Im sure I looked at it not that long ago, prob 3+ months ago? maybe Im wrong then haha

I thought this, but after using waybackmachine, it would appear it has been like that since at least around July 2012.

Unfortunately, it would appear all of the images on the website back then are broken :(

- - - Updated - - -

Whilst I cannot verify them, these are supposedly club tropica images.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r24/Dracolis/ClubTropica.png

xxMATTGxx
10-11-2013, 11:09 PM
Just found this as well...

http://youtu.be/LCwj1oeXnQs

AgnesIO
10-11-2013, 11:17 PM
Just found this as well...

http://youtu.be/LCwj1oeXnQs

Look snazzy.. oh sweet jesus :L

That appears to be post-client days

xxMATTGxx
10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
Also, wasn't there a forum with all of these type of start-ups on? I remember seeing a forum where a number of virtual worlds were in development stages and all had their own section to keep up-to-date on their progress. That has probably long gone now but does anyone remember the name of it?

Other
11-11-2013, 12:26 AM
No idea what this site even is

GoldenMerc
11-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Was meant to be the next Habbo hotel...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Chippiewill
11-11-2013, 12:34 PM
I also developed a multi-threaded socket server for the shockwave client using PHPCLI using OO PHP

*throws up* I can see why they didn't succeed.

AgnesIO
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Was meant to be the next Habbo hotel...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Their failure was being 7 years too late!

xxMATTGxx
11-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Also, wasn't there a forum with all of these type of start-ups on? I remember seeing a forum where a number of virtual worlds were in development stages and all had their own section to keep up-to-date on their progress. That has probably long gone now but does anyone remember the name of it?

In regards of the above, I believe I have found the place that I was thinking of: http://mmoccforum.com

Does anyone remember JabbaTown as well?

GoldenMerc
11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
In regards of the above, I believe I have found the place that I was thinking of: http://mmoccforum.com

what was the game you could grind on each other called!

xxMATTGxx
11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
what was the game you could grind on each other called!

You aren't thinking of IMVU or Second Life are you?

GoldenMerc
11-11-2013, 09:00 PM
You aren't thinking of IMVU or Second Life are you?

Nah, Iv seen them too. it was something else, bit like habbo but you could grind etc :(

AgnesIO
11-11-2013, 10:04 PM

Aha, I found this forum when you asked, but didn't think it would be that :L

Sent from my HTC One X

Alkaz
11-11-2013, 10:43 PM
My old lecturers brother is a merch designer at Moshi Monsters, how cool?

Kardan
11-11-2013, 10:54 PM
My old lecturers brother is a merch designer at Moshi Monsters, how cool?

:P I was a beta tester for the site, was quite well made and was pretty addictive, so I can see why kids love it :P

Lucy
12-11-2013, 04:07 AM

I definitely remember JabbaTown as I frequented the testing on that site, it had promise but lacked $$.

Typoh
19-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Before CT he ran HabboRemix. - Now who remembers that far back?

Kardan
19-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Before CT he ran HabboRemix. - Now who remembers that far back?

I remember moderating on that website, they pretty much just copied the Habbo moderation system.

Typoh
19-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes they did. I also remember this! & various other roles.

I remember moderating on that website, they pretty much just copied the Habbo moderation system.

Sian
19-11-2013, 01:38 PM
i forgot about clubtropica, shame it didn't go anywhere in the end.

And good old habboremix, it only shut like 6 months ago I think, they kept trying.

Typoh
19-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Yes they did, I used to have long chats with the person left in charge. Skunkboykr(i think) - He was never given full access so couldn't change much. without Just-Ones' approval.

i forgot about clubtropica, shame it didn't go anywhere in the end.

And good old habboremix, it only shut like 6 months ago I think, they kept trying.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!