PDA

View Full Version : 'To Buffalo' - Ends 25th November

Sloths
13-11-2013, 07:01 AM
http://habbox.com/text/got_frog/To+buffalo

Habbox is full of people who take pride in their spelling and grammar, but how many of you knew that "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" was actually a grammatically correct sentence? This is due to the city of Buffalo in New York and the uncommon verb 'to buffalo' which means to bully or intimidate (more info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Bu ffalo_buffalo) if you're interested).

Now, I've pointed out many a time in other competitions or to my friends that I lack skills in spelling and grammar so I bet this competition is going to have to be edited for errors even though English is my first language. Every time I use 'that that' in a sentence I shudder to think of those poor people who try learning English as a second language. My task for you is to find the weirdest 'flaw' in the English language similar to the examples above that you wouldn't think was actually grammatically correct.

May the weirdest win!

Prize: 5 credits + 15 rep

Honor-Branch
20-11-2013, 08:05 PM
This exceeding trifling witling, considering ranting criticizing concerning adopting fitting wording being exhibiting transcending learning, was displaying, notwithstanding ridiculing, surpassing boasting swelling reasoning, respecting correcting erring writing, and touching detecting deceiving arguing during debating.

FlyingJesus
20-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Bill and Bruce take a written English test. One question about tenses asks them to describe a man who used to have a cold but doesn't any longer. Bill wrote "The man had a cold" which could potentially work but may also denote a present tense description, but Bruce wrote "The man had had a cold" which was undeniably right, and therefore impressed the teacher more. It then follows that...

Bruce, while Bill had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

MKR&*42
23-11-2013, 12:53 AM
That that exists exists in that that that that exists exists in.
--
TOM STOLE MINE^

FlyingJesus
23-11-2013, 12:59 AM
I stole your mum's virginity

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't comment in competitions.

MKR&*42
23-11-2013, 01:00 AM
I stole your mum's virginity

omfg hi dad

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't comment in competitions.

Drake.
24-11-2013, 03:07 AM
find the weirdest 'flaw' in the English language

The word 'English' originally referred to Germans that settled in what we now call England.

izzul261
25-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Will will Will will Will's will to Will?

bkps
25-11-2013, 08:40 PM
To begin to toboggan first, buy a toboggan. But do not buy too big a toboggan! Too big a toboggan is too big a toboggan to buy to begin to toboggan

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!