PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Tournament - Feedback (1750c of prizes)

kovsky
13-11-2013, 03:32 PM
I hope I'm posting this in the right location.

Basically I'm thinking of hosting a Christmas Tournament from Dec 1st - 24th with daily games. The top 10 players of each game get points on the leaderboard.

On Dec 24th the person with the most points will get 1000c, 2nd place 500c, and 3rd place 250c.

I was thinking of keeping it old school. So events like fridge games, shout it out, bingo, trivia (the general knowledge kind), telephrase, relays, falling furni, stab, etc. Basically games that involve little wired and that many people can play.

If anyone has any game suggestions or feedback please let me know. If you want to get involved, also let me know.

Here's a screenshot of the main room: http://goo.gl/Q6T9gh
(http://goo.gl/Q6T9gh)
kovsky. <-- with the dot

Thread moved by £lliott (Forum Moderator) From 'Habbo News and Rumours'. This section is only for official Habbo News and rumours :P

lucaskf390
13-11-2013, 03:34 PM
1750c :O

lemons
13-11-2013, 03:35 PM
sounds cool

p.s. this is in wrong section, maybe put it in habbo in general? :p

Kardan
13-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Reminds me of the original LovePanda events :P It's a good idea :)

kovsky
13-11-2013, 03:39 PM
How do I change where I put it?

Daltron
13-11-2013, 03:42 PM
A mod will have to move it to habbo in general when they see the thread!

The main room looks really cute, nice event idea

zombies
13-11-2013, 03:42 PM
How do I change where I put it?

a mod will most likely move it. on the tourney, it sounds like a really good idea! i'm sure it will be popular too because of the prize range. it's good that you're keeping the games "old school". also, very nice room!

jorsian
13-11-2013, 04:06 PM
I love the idea, obviously it will attract a huge crowd. The prizes are quite nice too. Just make sure not to have too many 'p2k' games or a clique of friends will dominate the tournament.

-Moniquee.
13-11-2013, 04:41 PM
This sounds great! I wish i had 1750c, great way to get into the Christmas spirit!

Special
13-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I love the idea, obviously it will attract a huge crowd. The prizes are quite nice too. Just make sure not to have too many 'p2k' games or a clique of friends will dominate the tournament.

i disagree, to host a tournament you need to have a big 'following' or friendship group prior, you need this because people will be expected to queue for potentially hours at a time depending on how long each game lasts & if the tournament is popular people will be happy to queue even before the first games start

the tournaments i went to in the past years were held by hugely popular people who hosted them regularly (such as the likes of plebings, nellies, ****zled) so people knew that what they were playing is genuine

not only this but because the prize is such a huge amount you will need to gain trust from players, i'd suggest hosting a few pre-tournament games/build up games to show you're trust worthy

aside from all this, you have to be prepared to put in the time, probably 4 or more hours each day as updating & keeping track of the leader board often takes longer than hosting the games

tournaments are really great, don't be put off if your first one isn't as successful as you thought it would be, the more you do they more popular it will become

kovsky
13-11-2013, 05:38 PM
the tournaments i went to in the past years were held by hugely popular people who hosted them regularly (such as the likes of plebings, nellies, ****zled) so people knew that what they were playing is genuine

not only this but because the prize is such a huge amount you will need to gain trust from players, i'd suggest hosting a few pre-tournament games/build up games to show you're trust worthy

I have a good following I think. People know me for the rooms I make and for my scavenger hunts. I'm talking to Plebings atm about the running of it to make it as successful as possible. I plan on doing a few test runs before the tournament officially begins with propper prizes to get people excited and to show I mean it. I'm also planning on having the goldbars shown in the room.

If at the end of the day people don't trust me, they don't have to play.

aside from all this, you have to be prepared to put in the time, probably 4 or more hours each day as updating & keeping track of the leader board often takes longer than hosting the games

I'm a logical thinker and like to organise things so this should be fine for me. I have a good system thought up. I don't think updating the points of 10-20 people each day will take 4 hours though...

Thank you SO much for the feedback :)

jorsian
13-11-2013, 10:01 PM
i disagree, to host a tournament you need to have a big 'following' or friendship group prior, you need this because people will be expected to queue for potentially hours at a time depending on how long each game lasts & if the tournament is popular people will be happy to queue even before the first games start

tournaments are really great, don't be put off if your first one isn't as successful as you thought it would be, the more you do they more popular it will become

Solid advice, though I don't agree that it's necessary to be well known before hosting a tournament. People are generally willing to queue up for one or more of the following reasons:

-Large prize
-Nice room
-Good hosting skills
-Fun games
-Well known host

Plebings
13-11-2013, 10:26 PM
all good points, just remember why you're doing this and to have fun doing it. don't get caught up in trying to be a super serious host because that gets old FAST, you owe these players nothing (though this should not be an excuse if something goes wrong).

i tend to get criticism for only attracting the same people (a valid criticism), but again the only reason i host them if for my friends. 24 days is a long time, so make sure that you keep yourself motivated, i've known plenty of tournaments cancelled after a couple of days because hosts couldn't be bothered to put in the effort. take note if you plan on doing 3-4 hours a day that can add up to over 100 hours of work (including tallying points).

be consistent, and make sure that if you have other hosts that they understand how you host so they can copy. it's easy to trust yourself, but when it comes to other people that is a completely different matter. it is likely you'll have players complaining about your hosting, someone else's or other players, you can't be perfect 100% of the time, but try to take constructive criticism when it comes.

!x!dude!x!2
13-11-2013, 11:49 PM
ouuu that sounds good

i'm down to join in

God
14-11-2013, 01:07 AM
This sounds like a wonderful Idea, maybe you could incorporate this with the HabboxMas thingy they're doing. Best of luck and make sure to have the events during a variety of times during the whole thing, as I would love to show up to a few of the events (I love oldschool games :D)

kovsky
14-11-2013, 01:16 AM
all good points, just remember why you're doing this and to have fun doing it. don't get caught up in trying to be a super serious host because that gets old FAST, you owe these players nothing (though this should not be an excuse if something goes wrong).

I'm definitely going to be a fun and kind host and try not to be so fussy about things without compromising the fairness of games.

i tend to get criticism for only attracting the same people (a valid criticism), but again the only reason i host them if for my friends. 24 days is a long time, so make sure that you keep yourself motivated, i've known plenty of tournaments cancelled after a couple of days because hosts couldn't be bothered to put in the effort. take note if you plan on doing 3-4 hours a day that can add up to over 100 hours of work (including tallying points).

I will try to attract all sorts of Habbos from different time zones and in different friend groups and not let a particular group dominate the games. Also I'm really motivated to do this. I've wanted to do something like this for a long time just haven't had the means however now that I do, I'm game baby !!!!

be consistent, and make sure that if you have other hosts that they understand how you host so they can copy. it's easy to trust yourself, but when it comes to other people that is a completely different matter. it is likely you'll have players complaining about your hosting, someone else's or other players, you can't be perfect 100% of the time, but try to take constructive criticism when it comes.

I'm with you on this one. I'm very weary of other hosts as things can be messed up real bad real fast. Jorsian has been helping me with the 18 types of games I currently have planned. He has taught me how 80% of them work and is probably one of the most competent hosts (and people) I've come across on Habbo. He's the only person (for now) that I think might host. The only thing about him is that he's very serious (hi jordan) so I'll have to get him to act more glittery ;)

kovsky
14-11-2013, 01:53 AM
maybe you could incorporate this with the HabboxMas thingy they're doing. Best of luck and make sure to have the events during a variety of times during the whole thing

Hi Fox,

I plan on having a chat with some AUS players about when's the best time to host for them. Also I want this to be an independent thing so it won't be associated with any fansite. I have a lot of friends who are associated with different fansites so I don't want to show favouritsm by choosing one... it's a good idea though.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!