PDA

View Full Version : Can we cut the amount of VIP given out?

Kardan
14-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Currently we have: [Months of VIP given each month in brackets]

Member of the Month ~ Habbo [1]
Member of the Month ~ Graphics [1]
Member of the Month ~ Games [1]
Member of the Month ~ General [1]
Member of the Month ~ Technology [1]
Member of the Month ~ Entertainment [1]
Member of the Month ~ Feedback [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Competitions [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Graphics [1]
Staff of the Month ~ HabboxLive [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Forum [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Help Desk [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Rare Values [1]
Staff of the Month ~ Events [1]
General Competition Threads (In October, 7 months 1 week) [7.25]
Cool room of the Month [1]
News reader of the Month [1]
Events player of the Month [1]
Saturday Night Quiz [4]
Seasonal Events (Hx24 gave out 7 months, HxSS gave out 2 years, Christmas Bonanza gave out 6 years, 2 months, 1 week - I'm not kidding http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=766666&p=7780479#post7780479) [8.83]
HabboxLive Events [Can't determine]

So each month, if we add up all the square brackets, we are giving out just over 37 months of VIP on average. I'm sure there's things I've forgot to exclude in my numbers, and of course there's the HxL events. (And if there's more seasonal events, I'm missing them out as well).

Samantha
14-11-2013, 02:13 PM
Cool Room of the Month hasn't been done in ages.
Reader of the Month has been 3 months over 10 months.

There's also Newcomer of the Month sometimes, VIP whenever a new HxHD Layout is done, Wiki Contributor of the Month if it returns etc.

I think SNQ needs a Habbo prize, even if it's biweekly - VIP one week, 20 Credits the next. Even minimising it like that could work. Also, for SOTM why not again, give a Habbo prize if it's in a department such as Events and HabboxLive as they may need the Credits more than someone in Graphics and Forum. I know this would require funding, but we have the Habbox Lottery and Grabber to do that.

CrazyLemurs
14-11-2013, 03:43 PM
I understand there's a hell of a lot of VIP given out, but other than credits (which half of the forum seem disinterested in) and forum rep, what is there to substitute it for?
I'm not saying don't give credits or rep, but will people see it as a worthy prize for them?
Maybe we could give token out and then allow donator/VIP purchases with large amount of tokens?

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message. Pretend like you care xx

dbgtz
14-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I understand there's a hell of a lot of VIP given out, but other than credits (which half of the forum seem disinterested in) and forum rep, what is there to substitute it for?
I'm not saying don't give credits or rep, but will people see it as a worthy prize for them?
Maybe we could give token out and then allow donator/VIP purchases with large amount of tokens?

I'm currently on my iPhone if you are seeing this message. Pretend like you care xx

I'm sure I suggested that a few months back

Chris
14-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Here is a list of all the vip that was given out in October:

Total: 33 months 3 weeks

Comps:
2 Months Teal
2 months black
3 months teal
1 months black
2 months purple
1 months black
2 months teal
1 months orange
1 months dodger blue

Graphics:
1 months black

News:
1 months teal
1 month black

Habboxlive:
1 week purple
1 weeks dodger blue
1 week blue
2 weeks black
2 weeks black
1 week black
1 week blue

Hxhd:
1 months magenta
1 months pink
1 months black
1 months teal

Events:
1 months dodger blue

Content:
1 week dodger blue
1 week pink vip
1 month teal

Rare values:
1 months blue

Forum:
1 months dodger blue
1 month pink
1 month purple
1 month dodger blue
1 month pink

It does vary from month to month but I don't think theres an issue with it at the moment.

CrazyLemurs
14-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm sure I suggested that a few months back

Then maybe you were on to a good idea! Something that should be trialled, at least
It promotes forum use, too

Yupt
14-11-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't see a massive issue with it if I'm honest. But even so, I wouldn't feel irritated towards a move to handing out tokens rather than purely months of vip.

scottish
14-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Here is a list of all the vip that was given out in October:

Total: 33 months 3 weeks

Comps:
2 Months Teal
2 months black
3 months teal
1 months black
2 months purple
1 months black
2 months teal
1 months orange
1 months dodger blue

Graphics:
1 months black

News:
1 months teal
1 month black

Habboxlive:
1 week purple
1 weeks dodger blue
1 week blue
2 weeks black
2 weeks black
1 week black
1 week blue

Hxhd:
1 months magenta
1 months pink
1 months black
1 months teal

Events:
1 months dodger blue

Content:
1 week dodger blue
1 week pink vip
1 month teal

Rare values:
1 months blue

Forum:
1 months dodger blue
1 month pink
1 month purple
1 month dodger blue
1 month pink

It does vary from month to month but I don't think theres an issue with it at the moment.

That's a month with little/no seasonal event (HxSS, Xmas crap, etc), so in reality average will be more like 40 months per month.

Considering there's not that many active people (different if you had like 2-3k active members, but we probably have about 100) that's a lot..

You can't expect people to buy VIP/donator etc if it's so easy to get it, so you're in no way helping yourselves get donations to fund the server.

I think since I joined in 04 I bought like 8 month VIP then 2 years at xmas for charity, other than that it was all won so yeah.

May not seem a lot but that's what say 4-5 years that i've not paid for (probably more but for sake of argument lets say 4-5) so that's like £50+ you've lost on me alone, now all these people getting even easier VIP is going to be even less for you

I agree that there should be a token prize, then massive amount of tokens = VIP, so you encourage posting and competition entry for VIP rather than just comp win vip. Would dramatically decrease amount of VIP given out.

Kardan
14-11-2013, 08:13 PM
That's a month with little/no seasonal event (HxSS, Xmas crap, etc), so in reality average will be more like 40 months per month.

Considering there's not that many active people (different if you had like 2-3k active members, but we probably have about 100) that's a lot..

You can't expect people to buy VIP/donator etc if it's so easy to get it, so you're in no way helping yourselves get donations to fund the server.

I think since I joined in 04 I bought like 8 month VIP then 2 years at xmas for charity, other than that it was all won so yeah.

May not seem a lot but that's what say 4-5 years that i've not paid for (probably more but for sake of argument lets say 4-5) so that's like £50+ you've lost on me alone, now all these people getting even easier VIP is going to be even less for you

I agree that there should be a token prize, then massive amount of tokens = VIP, so you encourage posting and competition entry for VIP rather than just comp win vip. Would dramatically decrease amount of VIP given out.

Thing is, even if there was a change in the system today, the problem will still continue for a few more months at least. Some people ( lawrawrrr) have VIP until 2016 (I'm almost positive somebody had it for a lot longer, but I can't remember who).

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2013, 08:21 PM
There did used to be limits on the amount of VIP each department could give out. But even with that in place it's probably still going to be a problem. Unless we encourage them to offer other prizes instead such as tokens. Or maybe reduce the amount of months we give out by offering the "2 week VIP" option more.

It really does depend on the month of the year: Some months will be more, the others will be a lot less.

lawrawrrr
14-11-2013, 08:22 PM
I have VIP for that long because I work hard and get rewarded with SOTM VIP. Some of it's christmas VIP which I buy to donate to charity more than anything else, then about 6 months of donator to donate to Habbox.

How is any of that creating a problem though? It's a reward for what I do, or donations to Habbox, which I doubt the senior managers would be happy if I stopped doing the little I give anyway!

I think that there should be more emphasis on offering tokens and/or rep instead of VIP. If someone said to me, have a month of VIP OR 100 rep, or 50 rep or whatever, I'd pick the rep or the tokens tbh, cos I do have far too much!

Samantha
14-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I have VIP for that long because I work hard and get rewarded with SOTM VIP. Some of it's christmas VIP which I buy to donate to charity more than anything else, then about 6 months of donator to donate to Habbox.

How is any of that creating a problem though? It's a reward for what I do, or donations to Habbox, which I doubt the senior managers would be happy if I stopped doing the little I give anyway!

I think that there should be more emphasis on offering tokens and/or rep instead of VIP. If someone said to me, have a month of VIP OR 100 rep, or 50 rep or whatever, I'd pick the rep or the tokens tbh, cos I do have far too much!

Yeah this, I also had VIP for a long time due to being a manager for 24 months (you get 1 month for every 2 you're management, so that's not too bad), winning it from SOTM and SNQ etc. so I gave it away - I now have a week of VIP which I usually win from content and that's it.

I think what could be good is still encourage giving VIP as prizes, but not too much. Give tokens instead of course, but decide which really need VIP and which don't. Like I said earlier, are community things really needing VIP more than funding?

Inseriousity.
14-11-2013, 08:35 PM
You really shouldn't take that christmas bonanza as the norm. That was an idea never been done before and I'd be surprised if it was done again. You also have to consider the fact that people don't necessarily claim the VIP they've won so that brings it down too. It is certainly not as bad as you are making it out to be and I think managers have actually shown great restraint at giving it out. for example, there wasnt any member of the month for the feedback section so that suggests to me that they aren't giving it out just because they can but saving it for when they need to. In my experience, VIP keeps newer users here so my concern would be more about how to spread it out to more users rather than it being concentrated to a small group who manage to squirrel it away.

Futz
14-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Question is, why do you care?

Does it make you feel less of a unique snowflake if other people have it?

Jurv
14-11-2013, 08:57 PM
doesn't really matter if it's being given out for a valid reason, it's better than most prizes imo

FlyingJesus
14-11-2013, 09:19 PM
SOTM seems a bit daft to me, sure it's nice to say thanks to those who work hard but staff members are clique-y enough without managers playing favourites, and let's not pretend that making a glittery signature for someone or posting a thread asking a random question is the same amount of work as hosting hours and hours of live DJ shows. Events player of the month makes even less sense, I've won it before and I usually only turn up to make fun of Intersocial so god knows how it gets decided - it's not as though events management ever attend to know about it. News reader of the month is of course totally redundant since no-one reads news and it's based entirely on who's written "omg!!! good to know!!!" on the most reports

For staff VIP I think it'd be better done quarterly where the person who has consistently been working hardest (ie: most hours logged behind the desk, doing more than 1 pixel drawing, making up new excuses for V7) gets a couple of months each time, that way it incentivises staff to stick with their roles for long enough to get known and be properly integrated as well as hopefully making people want it more because each prize is bigger albeit more sparse overall

lawrawrrr
14-11-2013, 09:23 PM
I would be happy rewarding staff when they do exceptional things, rather than handing it out every month.

tbh it hardly ever gets posted or even nominated sometimes so i just forget about it

-:Undertaker:-
14-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Let's see, departments are struggling to hire and hold on to staff.... so let's cut the rewards given out?

MKR&*42
14-11-2013, 09:25 PM
SOTM seems a bit daft to me, sure it's nice to say thanks to those who work hard but staff members are clique-y enough without managers playing favourites, and let's not pretend that making a glittery signature for someone or posting a thread asking a random question is the same amount of work as hosting hours and hours of live DJ shows. Events player of the month makes even less sense, I've won it before and I usually only turn up to make fun of @Intersocial (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=86637) so god knows how it gets decided - it's not as though events management ever attend to know about it. News reader of the month is of course totally redundant since no-one reads news and it's based entirely on who's written "omg!!! good to know!!!" on the most reports

For staff VIP I think it'd be better done quarterly where the person who has consistently been working hardest (ie: most hours logged behind the desk, doing more than 1 pixel drawing, making up new excuses for V7) gets a couple of months each time, that way it incentivises staff to stick with their roles for long enough to get known and be properly integrated as well as hopefully making people want it more because each prize is bigger albeit more sparse overall

Bully.

Management ask various events staff who they think deserves it, so basically the person they see most gets it which can quite easily be their events buddies brought up before. I don't see any point in it either and I can't understand why they give VIP instead of Credits or even a prize at all as they could have already acquired many from winning all the events they've been going to ;). I don't like SOTM getting VIP either but I know all hell would break loose if that was ever taken away from them.

AgnesIO
14-11-2013, 09:26 PM
I have VIP until September 2014, although would definitely have it until mid-2015 if I didn't give a lot of it away.

Must admit I am surprised 33 months worth is given away every month (or more, potentially) - seems a lot baring in mind the amount of active members.

lawrawrrr
14-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Let's see, departments are struggling to hire and hold on to staff.... so let's cut the rewards given out?

I see this, but it kind of feels like a bribe in your scenario, spelt out so blankly like that!

From a manager's point of view, I'd rather not give rewards on such a strict regimen, and rather reward them when they deserve it.

Kardan
19-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Question is, why do you care?

Does it make you feel less of a unique snowflake if other people have it?

Not really, it's more to do with.

Less people have VIP = More people purchase Donator = More money to Habbox.

Fair enough, VIP should be given out, I'm not saying stop giving it out - but when certain members have VIP all year around (me included) because they keep winning things certainly doesn't seem to make sense.

Perhaps an idea would be to not make VIP rewards overlap. So if you win VIP, you can't win any more VIP for that week/month. That would stop people at least creating a store of saved VIP.

I also agree with managers awarding exceptional work, then it encourages people to do exceptional work, rather than thinking "Ah, if I just wait another month, then I'll get some VIP - Since it just rotates between the two of us"

Futz
19-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Not really, it's more to do with.

Less people have VIP = More people purchase Donator = More money to Habbox.

Fair enough, VIP should be given out, I'm not saying stop giving it out - but when certain members have VIP all year around (me included) because they keep winning things certainly doesn't seem to make sense.

Perhaps an idea would be to not make VIP rewards overlap. So if you win VIP, you can't win any more VIP for that week/month. That would stop people at least creating a store of saved VIP.

I also agree with managers awarding exceptional work, then it encourages people to do exceptional work, rather than thinking "Ah, if I just wait another month, then I'll get some VIP - Since it just rotates between the two of us"

But if it was the owners that needed more money to go towards the upkeep of the site, surely it would be them moderating this and not the members?

karter
20-11-2013, 09:37 AM
can we not!! i'd actually like if there were easier ways of getting vip lol

Yupt
20-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Personally I think it's fine, it is fair that a lot does go out and people do store VIP - but the important thing is that if it's not especially hard to win it then newer members are more likely to stick around once they win some.

If it was harder to get, less new members would win it and find less of a reason to stick around.

I'm talking mainly from a comps perspective, but hey.

Empired
20-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Personally I think it's fine, it is fair that a lot does go out and people do store VIP - but the important thing is that if it's not especially hard to win it then newer members are more likely to stick around once they win some.

If it was harder to get, less new members would win it and find less of a reason to stick around.

I'm talking mainly from a comps perspective, but hey.
This.

Might be worth for more Habbo-based departments to offer VIP OR something like credits or a rare because some people don't have a HxF account.

Kardan
20-11-2013, 04:02 PM
If it's a proven fact that new members stick around if they get VIP, why don't we just give newbie VIP out?

Reality
24-11-2013, 09:50 AM
I don't seem to see re problem, it keeps the community active and gives them something in return for doing a voluntary job at Habbox. In retrospect I do see how the amount of VIP being given out is in abundance; if they try to do in the department, like Staff Of The Month then change it to like every two months to cut one month out and if the manager feels someone's done even better work the give them VIP from their own subscriptions?!?!! Thoughts!!

If you're seeing this I'm on mobile act like you care x - James

e5
25-11-2013, 07:34 AM
A fair amount of VIP is given out, I guess it could be changed to tokens or rep for some?

Tom
26-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Personally speaking, I believe that too much VIP is given out to the same staff/users too many times. The limit (or, as it's supposed to be) is no one user can win it twice in a row. Perhaps this should be increased? Perhaps no one user can win it 3 times in a row, or even four.

As we seem to be going through more with the 'token' idea, which I am liking, perhaps we should just offer token prizes - as some of you guys have already said? What do you think?

AgnesIO
26-11-2013, 07:39 PM
Personally speaking, I believe that too much VIP is given out to the same staff/users too many times. The limit (or, as it's supposed to be) is no one user can win it twice in a row. Perhaps this should be increased? Perhaps no one user can win it 3 times in a row, or even four.

As we seem to be going through more with the 'token' idea, which I am liking, perhaps we should just offer token prizes - as some of you guys have already said? What do you think?

If a certain member is continually impressing or benefiting Habbox, it seems ridiculous to limit their rewards for the sake of being fair or w/e

Why not offer tokens to users who win twice/3 times in a row, instead?

Kardan
26-11-2013, 07:39 PM

The issue with the 'You can't win it 2 times in a row' rule is that this could easily happen:

January: Win MotM for Feedback, SotM for Content
February: Win MotM for Habbo, SotM for News
March: Win MotM for Feedback, SotM for Content, SotM for Graphics

It doesn't matter if you can't win it twice in a row if you can manage to alternate what you're winning it for. Increasing it to 3 or 4 times would help this, so would saying 'If you won S/MotM for any department/area, you can't win it next month'.

Tokens is also a good idea, since you can buy VIP/Donator with it if you want... But I'm not sure you'll find much support, everyone else loves the amount of VIP given out :P

Tom
26-11-2013, 07:45 PM
If a certain member is continually impressing or benefiting Habbox, it seems ridiculous to limit their rewards for the sake of being fair or w/e

Why not offer tokens to users who win twice/3 times in a row, instead?

Should one specific user continue to impress, though, perhaps some other form of reward could be given that isn't something like VIP, or tokens. Something like (for example, in the events of HabboxLive department) a senior position - should they not be in that position already. Evidently, they must be better than the current seniors in some way.

Again, I completely agree with the whole tokens if you've won it an X amount of times - and I will write that down now and look into that. Thank you :)

The issue with the 'You can't win it 2 times in a row' rule is that this could easily happen:

January: Win MotM for Feedback, SotM for Content
February: Win MotM for Habbo, SotM for News
March: Win MotM for Feedback, SotM for Content, SotM for Graphics

It doesn't matter if you can't win it twice in a row if you can manage to alternate what you're winning it for. Increasing it to 3 or 4 times would help this, so would saying 'If you won S/MotM for any department/area, you can't win it next month'.

Tokens is also a good idea, since you can buy VIP/Donator with it if you want... But I'm not sure you'll find much support, everyone else loves the amount of VIP given out :P

Yeah, this popped into my head as I was thinking about increasing the limit. Certainly not "everyone" loves the amount of VIP given away, so I'm sure there would be some way around this. Let's just work, for now, on coming up with a solution to make everyone happy (or at least the majority) :)

AgnesIO
26-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Should one specific user continue to impress, though, perhaps some other form of reward could be given that isn't something like VIP, or tokens. Something like (for example, in the events of HabboxLive department) a senior position - should they not be in that position already. Evidently, they must be better than the current seniors in some way.

Again, I completely agree with the whole tokens if you've won it an X amount of times - and I will write that down now and look into that. Thank you :)

Yeah, this popped into my head as I was thinking about increasing the limit. Certainly not "everyone" loves the amount of VIP given away, so I'm sure there would be some way around this. Let's just work, for now, on coming up with a solution to make everyone happy (or at least the majority) :)

What about users who have won MOTM many times? That doesn't work for them :(

Tom
26-11-2013, 07:50 PM

You're right, it's not like we can give out "Senior Member of Habbox". However, this thread is purely about limiting the VIP given p/month, right? So, if we limit the amount of VIP given to staff (if possible, as it seems very easy to get SotM sometimes), then perhaps it will bring the amount right down? In theory I think it would anyway.

AgnesIO
26-11-2013, 07:51 PM
You're right, it's not like we can give out "Senior Member of Habbox". However, this thread is purely about limiting the VIP given p/month, right? So, if we limit the amount of VIP given to staff (if possible, as it seems very easy to get SotM sometimes), then perhaps it will bring the amount right down? In theory I think it would anyway.

Oh I see what you mean; yeah, you are right then :)

Kardan
26-11-2013, 07:54 PM

I think a progressive system could work.

MotM: 1 month VIP
MotM for the 2nd time: X tokens
MotM for the 3rd time: X + Y tokens
etc.

And every now and again you can give VIP out again, like the 5th, 10th time etc.

- - - Updated - - -

If possible with SotM, can we only award it when someone has done something extraordinary? I mean, it doesn't make sense to keep rotating it around the same 2 people because they are the only ones that do decent work... Although only the smaller departments would have this issue.

Maybe SotM doesn't have to be monthly? It can be for the larger departments, like HxL and Events, but maybe it doesn't need to be awarded so often for News, Graphics, Content etc.

Just a few ideas anyway, I'm sure something that pleases most people can be agreed.

Tom
26-11-2013, 08:01 PM

etc.

And every now and again you can give VIP out again, like the 5th, 10th time etc.

- - - Updated - - -

If possible with SotM, can we only award it when someone has done something extraordinary? I mean, it doesn't make sense to keep rotating it around the same 2 people because they are the only ones that do decent work... Although only the smaller departments would have this issue.

Maybe SotM doesn't have to be monthly? It can be for the larger departments, like HxL and Events, but maybe it doesn't need to be awarded so often for News, Graphics, Content etc.

Just a few ideas anyway, I'm sure something that pleases most people can be agreed.

All been noted.

The progressive system could work and is something we'll look into. Additionally, the SotM non-monthly ideas for smaller departments could be very possible too, as they seem to be the main culprits of repeated "winners" too, so that will definitely be looked into, too.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) - keep 'em coming if you have any more.

Chris
26-11-2013, 10:25 PM

etc.

I like this idea so I'll try to get it into place for next month. If it does go ahead then I'll mention it in the next member of the month post.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!