PDA

View Full Version : Streaming and stuff..

scottish
27-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Ok well I currently have a WD TV Live and an Apple TV

I rarely use the Apple TV, and mainly use WD TV Live for Netflix and viewing media over the network (from the N54L MicroServer)

The default interface for sharing media over network is quite **** frankly.

From what I remember it offers no search, tagging, etc.

Now the Roku 3 seems to offer Plex which allows you to run their media server on the WS2012 server, it then gets info, pictures, metadata etc and adds it.

So
a) Does Plex on Roku cost? I've seen Plex Pass
b) Thoughts on Roku 3 if you own it
c) Anything similar on WDTV / Apple TV 3?

Netflix would be required, and Spotify would be beneficial if suggesting something else.

Also bare in mind this is Apple TV 3 meaning no jailbreaking for XBMC

Adding to that, I have 2 Raspberry Pi's, but don't really want to use them for XBMC, but may look into it as if memory serves me right they use HDMI-CEC which would allow control of it via my Harmony remote.

xxMATTGxx
30-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Ok well I currently have a WD TV Live and an Apple TV

I rarely use the Apple TV, and mainly use WD TV Live for Netflix and viewing media over the network (from the N54L MicroServer)

The default interface for sharing media over network is quite **** frankly.

From what I remember it offers no search, tagging, etc.

Now the Roku 3 seems to offer Plex which allows you to run their media server on the WS2012 server, it then gets info, pictures, metadata etc and adds it.

So
a) Does Plex on Roku cost? I've seen Plex Pass
b) Thoughts on Roku 3 if you own it
c) Anything similar on WDTV / Apple TV 3?

Netflix would be required, and Spotify would be beneficial if suggesting something else.

Also bare in mind this is Apple TV 3 meaning no jailbreaking for XBMC

Adding to that, I have 2 Raspberry Pi's, but don't really want to use them for XBMC, but may look into it as if memory serves me right they use HDMI-CEC which would allow control of it via my Harmony remote.

Can't see anywhere that mentions you need to be Plex Pass to use the app on the Roku. Although if you do find out the full answer then let me know as well :P

scottish
30-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah it was

https://my.plexapp.com/subscription/about

States free plex for android and rocky which confused me as if it's free by default why include it in description about paid subscription lol..

Chippiewill
30-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Alternative super cheap option Chromecast

xxMATTGxx
31-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Alternative super cheap option Chromecast

Are they any good? :P

scottish
31-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Only available officially in us ain't they?

Recursion
01-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Build your own Windows running HTPC.

scottish
01-01-2014, 12:38 PM
And play netflix etc how? Xbmc no longer supports netflix afaik, does plex?

Ultimately seems pointless when I already have 2 streaming boxs and micro server.

Recursion
01-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Yes, Plex has a Netflix channel.

In the long run, a Windows based HTPC is far more flexible, and you can get something like a Media Center Remote Kit for a 'proper' control, or just use something like Unified Remote.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!