PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problems

GoldenMerc
02-01-2014, 11:52 AM
http://tashload.com/Uploader/uploads//SSdmAJ2.png

Seem to be getting this, Over the past maybe month ? Im not doing anything excessive or anything I havent been doing normally. All I have on is Firefox, Excel and skype...

Any ideas?
Ross

xxMATTGxx
02-01-2014, 11:54 AM
http://tashload.com/Uploader/uploads//SSdmAJ2.png

Seem to be getting this, Over the past maybe month ? Im not doing anything excessive or anything I havent been doing normally. All I have on is Firefox, Excel and skype...

Any ideas?
Ross

Have you tried updating the driver for it and see if that solves it?

Drunq
02-01-2014, 07:37 PM
or uninstalling it and reinstallin it?

Sent from my mobile - Check www.habbox.com/events for all our Events!

mrwoooooooo
02-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Have you tried updating the driver for it and see if that solves it?

of course he hasnt :rolleyes:

lRhyss
02-01-2014, 10:52 PM
Microsoft introduced a feature called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) since Windows Vista. Basically it is a timer that counts how many seconds the video card has stopped responding to the OS (2 seconds by default) and it assumes the video card or driver has crashed. It restarts the video subsystem in an attempt to prevent a crash. Why this happens is anyone's guess. Maybe some system files related to video get corrupted, or the video drivers are poorly written, or the video card has a hardware fault. It could also be a program that drops the frame-rate too low, like a high-end (or buggy) game. Either way it's Windows reacting to a problem.

The following is a way to extend the time Windows waits before it restarts the video. It doesn't "fix" the original issue, but it should prevent most, if not all, of the TDR's from happening. It's like disabling airbags in a car because they keep randomly deploying; it's not really a "fix", but at least you can drive again without getting hit in the face with an airbag at random... :P

If you are not familiar with editing the registry, I wouldn't recommend changing the TDR. It involves creating new keys and values, which have to be exactly the same as the instructions, even the capitalization.

Click Start, Run, and type regedit
Navigate to: HKey Local Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\ControlĀ­\
Locate the GraphicsDrivers key, and right-click on it.
Click New and DWORD Value (it will say 32-bit if you are on a Windows 64-bit)
Label the new value TdrDelay
Double click on TdrDelay, and enter the number of seconds you want Windows to wait before timing out. The default is two seconds, so start out with 6, and you can make it a few seconds longer if it doesn't fix the issue.
Close the registry editor and reboot the computer.

This happened to my friends laptop and I managed to stop the error appearing using this method :)

Firehorse
03-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Microsoft introduced a feature called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) since Windows Vista. Basically it is a timer that counts how many seconds the video card has stopped responding to the OS (2 seconds by default) and it assumes the video card or driver has crashed. It restarts the video subsystem in an attempt to prevent a crash. Why this happens is anyone's guess. Maybe some system files related to video get corrupted, or the video drivers are poorly written, or the video card has a hardware fault. It could also be a program that drops the frame-rate too low, like a high-end (or buggy) game. Either way it's Windows reacting to a problem.

The following is a way to extend the time Windows waits before it restarts the video. It doesn't "fix" the original issue, but it should prevent most, if not all, of the TDR's from happening. It's like disabling airbags in a car because they keep randomly deploying; it's not really a "fix", but at least you can drive again without getting hit in the face with an airbag at random... :P

If you are not familiar with editing the registry, I wouldn't recommend changing the TDR. It involves creating new keys and values, which have to be exactly the same as the instructions, even the capitalization.

Click Start, Run, and type regedit
Navigate to: HKey Local Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Control­\
Locate the GraphicsDrivers key, and right-click on it.
Click New and DWORD Value (it will say 32-bit if you are on a Windows 64-bit)
Label the new value TdrDelay
Double click on TdrDelay, and enter the number of seconds you want Windows to wait before timing out. The default is two seconds, so start out with 6, and you can make it a few seconds longer if it doesn't fix the issue.
Close the registry editor and reboot the computer.

This happened to my friends laptop and I managed to stop the error appearing using this method :)

But definitely try uninstalling/reinstalling and updating the drivers before you start mucking about in the registry.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!