PDA

View Full Version : Steam hit by DDoS

Jazz
03-01-2014, 08:55 PM
The digital gaming service Steam was down for over an hour on Friday after being targeted for a distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack.

Two Twitter users, @chFtheCat and @LARCENY_, have taken credit for the hacks, and also for a similar attack on Battle.net, the login system used by World of Warcraft and other games produced by Blizzard.

The attack was apparently unrelated to a parallel set of attacks, co-ordinated by a group calling itself DerpTrolling, against EA's Origin online gaming service. Origin was sporidically offline for a period of almost 24 hours.

DerpTrolling had previously brought down the servers for Dota 2 and League of Legends, two popular "multiplayer online battle arena games". Those actions sparked criticism of popular Twitch streamer James Varga, who was accused of egging on the hackers.

DDOS attacks use thousands of infected PCs, known as "bots", to send brief messages that overwhelm the servers of its target. Steam's store and community features have been responding slowly or not at all throughout the night.

Varga, whose videos of League of Legends matches attract hundreds of thousands of views, egged on the DDoS attackers, telling them to take the servers down if his team started to lose.

None of the attackers have yet spoken of motivations for the attack, but all seem to be doing so for little more than their own amusement.

www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/03/online-gaming-steam-ddos-attack-ea-origin

Thoughts? Steam hasn't seemed to be very stable over the past month, it's been down countless times.

Kardan
03-01-2014, 10:07 PM
They took down RuneScape as well a few days ago.

GommeInc
03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Tiny little boys with tiny e-penises with nothing better to do. This is why mentally unstable individuals should not be allowed near a computer. Just my 2 pence on this matter. Steam is quite a calm, quaint company so it seems unfair to attack them for what is again no reason.

Futz
03-01-2014, 11:04 PM
ey gurls i dee dawsed steem

pls

pls love me

Kardan
03-01-2014, 11:08 PM
I do hope that someone does something over these 17 year olds - I would quite enjoy reading a news report about how they'll end up crying and how they didn't mean to take down servers for some massive companies.

GommeInc
03-01-2014, 11:15 PM
I do hope that someone does something over these 17 year olds - I would quite enjoy reading a news report about how they'll end up crying and how they didn't mean to take down servers for some massive companies.
I'd love to see the police cut off their internet. Imagine the anger these children will feel :P It would be like watching a child have a toy taken away. They're such brats.

Jazz
04-01-2014, 01:08 AM
I'd love to see the police cut off their internet. Imagine the anger these children will feel :P It would be like watching a child have a toy taken away. They're such brats.

I woud love to see these DDoSers have they're internet cut. There will be a time where they hack the wrong person and then they will learn something, maybe.

peteyt
08-01-2014, 04:55 PM
It really annoys me that people support these type of groups. At the end of the day they are just idiots thinking they are hard because they can take down a site but probably have to real life skills.

It's why I've never liked Anonymous and I know lots of people who support them. I remember when they kept claiming they where making a difference and calling themselves hacktivists yet where supporting Luzsec, a group that took requests and did stuff for the lulz.

It also brings an important question to my mind. A lot of these people are all for privacy, especially Anonymous yet surely when they hack innocent sites for fun and deface and sometimes steal things, they are breaking their own believes on privacy.

Chippiewill
08-01-2014, 06:31 PM
have taken credit for the hacks
It seems nowadays just about anything you do with a computer constitutes hacking.

GommeInc
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
It really annoys me that people support these type of groups. At the end of the day they are just idiots thinking they are hard because they can take down a site but probably have to real life skills.

It's why I've never liked Anonymous and I know lots of people who support them. I remember when they kept claiming they where making a difference and calling themselves hacktivists yet where supporting Luzsec, a group that took requests and did stuff for the lulz.

It also brings an important question to my mind. A lot of these people are all for privacy, especially Anonymous yet surely when they hack innocent sites for fun and deface and sometimes steal things, they are breaking their own believes on privacy.
Hence they're mentally disturbs imbeciles who should be completely ignored. I'm amazed the media gives them any attention. Hopefully Steam will find out who was behind it and get them locked away for a time being so they learn to grow up and shut up.

Zak
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Tiny little boys with tiny e-penises with nothing better to do.

Lmao couldn't have put it better myself

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!