View Full Version : Indie music? :D

TheShawnChg
04-01-2014, 04:36 AM
Favourite indie songs or artist?
~
I personally prefer indie music more than mainstream music

Drewar
04-01-2014, 04:48 AM
Okay, this is probably going to make me sound like an idiot, especially since I'm a DJ... but what exactly is considered "Indie" music?

Can you give me some examples? If I had to guess, I would say that the most "Indie" artists in my library are probably Mumford and Sons and Of Mice and Men, but I don't exactly know what constitutes "Indie" so I'm not entirely sure.

TheShawnChg
04-01-2014, 05:36 AM
Okay, this is probably going to make me sound like an idiot, especially since I'm a DJ... but what exactly is considered "Indie" music?

Can you give me some examples? If I had to guess, I would say that the most "Indie" artists in my library are probably Mumford and Sons and Of Mice and Men, but I don't exactly know what constitutes "Indie" so I'm not entirely sure.

Dont worry, majority of people dont know what it is, haha. Indie is short for independent. Which means an artist which is not affiliated to a major commercial record label. They make records with independent labels.
~
And yes, mumford and sons is a indie folk band, or used to be. Other indie artist which im sure you will know are like The Arctic Monkeys, The Wombats, Kasabian, Two Door Cinema Club, Fun, Death Cab For Cutie, The Subways, Kings Of Leon, Tegan and Sara, Daughter, Regina Spektor and also the famous Gotye. Some of these artist were later tied with major record labels after they're indie success.

Drewar
04-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Oh ok, awesome! Thank you so much for clarifying.

Of the artists you mentioned, I really like Kings of Leon and Tegan and Sara, and I LOVE Regina Spektor. She's great.

!x!dude!x!2
04-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Dont worry, majority of people dont know what it is, haha. Indie is short for independent. Which means an artist which is not affiliated to a major commercial record label. They make records with independent labels.
~
And yes, mumford and sons is a indie folk band, or used to be. Other indie artist which im sure you will know are like The Arctic Monkeys, The Wombats, Kasabian, Two Door Cinema Club, Fun, Death Cab For Cutie, The Subways, Kings Of Leon, Tegan and Sara, Daughter, Regina Spektor and also the famous Gotye. Some of these artist were later tied with major record labels after they're indie success.

aren't Tegan and Sara big now?

TheShawnChg
04-01-2014, 06:09 AM
aren't Tegan and Sara big now?

Yup, they are :) But i'm not sure if they are with a major record label now, although they still can go big with just being an indie artist..

Zelda
04-01-2014, 10:13 AM
my favourite indie artists are probably lana del rey, charli xcx and marina & the diamonds (ik marina is getting a bit bigger now though)

IzzyUhh
04-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Arctic monkeys are my fave
I Do like daughter too, and two door cinema club, But just recently I have a huge obsession with arctic monkeys ohhmyy

Jurv
04-01-2014, 11:33 AM
isn't indie nowadays considered to be more about the sound of their music in oppose to labels?

some of my faves are the xx, alt-j, arcade fire, arctic monkeys & the vaccines

also i hope youre not one of those annoying people who suddenly decide mainstream music is the spawn of satan

FlyingJesus
04-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Indie is meant to mean independent but as a musical genre it def doesn't since the "indie" sound is all over the mainstream and record companies snap them up all the time. By contrast The Misfits are on their own label, Hanson are on their own label, Jay-Z is on two of his own labels, The Beatles had their own record label... etc etc and none of those are what you'd call indie artists

Jurv
04-01-2014, 11:38 AM
yeah i thought so^

also i forgot one of my other fave bands FOALS

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!