PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Quote(s).

MKR&*42
13-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Can be from a book, a film or anywhere (hence why I haven't put it in a specific subforum).

Simple enough - post your favourite quote(s) :) I'll post mine in a second.
--
I'm sorry if theres a thread already like this omg there's been so many made recently.
---

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” ~ Marilyn Monroe

"I dream of you in colours that don't exist." ~ I don't know :P

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."

“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” >>>> This will alwaysss be my favourite. ~ Frank Zappa

“Watch your thoughts for they become words.
Watch your words for they become actions.
Watch your actions for they become habits.
Watch your habits for they become your character.
And watch your character for it becomes your destiny.
What we think, we become.
My father always said that... and I think I am fine.”

~ Not too sure who this is from, 3 possible people.

Aiden
13-01-2014, 06:46 PM
wow never seen this thread b4

i like all the dumbledore ones tqbh

Kardan
13-01-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't really like to live by quotes - but I do have one quote I like, although I never remember it off by heart:

"I keep thinking about this river somewhere, with the water moving really fast. And these two people in the water, trying to hold onto each other, holding on as hard as they can, but in the end it’s just too much. The current’s too strong. They’ve got to let go, drift apart. That’s how I think it is with us. It’s a shame, Kath, because we’ve loved each other all our lives. But in the end, we can’t stay together forever."

From Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Like I said, I don't think it applies to me - I just thought it was nice, and it hit a nerve as I read it.

MKR&*42
13-01-2014, 07:36 PM
wow never seen this thread b4

i like all the dumbledore ones tqbh

NT SPECIFIC ENOUGH :///

!x!dude!x!2
13-01-2014, 08:40 PM
Is it a crime, to fight, for what is mine?

Tupac Shakur

Phil
14-01-2014, 06:11 PM
"Happiness is a choice"
"Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life"

Are the two I like to remind myself of

lawrawrrr
14-01-2014, 06:27 PM
My friend wrote this in a Jane Austen fanfiction and I just really love it.

The following story is without a doubt, a most curious mix of happiness and sorrow. For how can one be enjoyed without the other hardly bears thought. Let it suffice, dear reader, that the fiction before you shall render you speechless, it shall pull at your heartstrings, your eyes will sting from the moisture of tears. All that said, I present to you a love story.

This from One Tree Hill

at this moment there are

people in this world

some are running scared

some are coming home

some tell lies to make it through the day

others are just now facing the truth

some are evil men, at war with good

and some are good, struggling with evil

six billion people in the world

six billion souls

and sometimes

all you need

is one.

Perks of Being A Wallflower

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite

T.S. Eliot Poem (The Hollow Men)

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper

Collection of Sylvia Plaths (all from the Bell Jar):

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.

There is something demoralizing about watching two people get more and more crazy about each other, especially when you are the only extra person in the room. It's like watching Paris from an express caboose heading in the opposite direction--every second the city gets smaller and smaller, only you feel it's really you getting smaller and smaller and lonelier and lonelier, rushing away from all those lights and excitement at about a million miles an hour.

Kiss me and you will see how important I am

House Quotes

So, this is the story you made up about yourself? It's nice.
Too bad it isn't true.

If you believe in eternity, then life is irrelevant. The same way a bug is irrelevant in comparison to the universe.
If you don't believe in eternity, then what you do here is irrelevant.
Your actions *here* are all that matters.
Then nothing matters. There's no ultimate consequence. I couldn't live like that.

I'm going to base this moment on who I'm stuck in a room with. It's what life is. It's a series of rooms and who we get stuck in those rooms with adds up to what our lives are.

Dying's easy. Living's hard.

Then my favourite quote of all time

Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
"After all this time?"
"Always," said Snape.

----

OKAY YES I HAVE THESE ALL SAVED ON MY COMPUTER I DIDN'T JUST GO LOOKING FOR IT AND FORMATTING

Becka
14-01-2014, 06:44 PM
"When you have a bad day, a really bad day, try and treat the world better than it treated you" ~ Patrick Stump

"We're just like you, we're not these older idols, you know, we're just kids like you guys" ~ Brendon Urie

"Just because today is a terrible day, doesn't mean tomorrow might not be the best day of your entire life. You just have to wake up, and get there"
~ Pete Wentz

Inseriousity.
14-01-2014, 06:46 PM
something like "we're all just stories in the end" from doctor who. that was nice.

I don't really have favourite quotes but it's definitely a powerful thing to know that your words touch people that they remember them and err have a document full of quotes? never seen that before laura haha.

I like the messages in JK Rowling's Harvard Commencement speech. Not necessarily a bitesize quote but she's such a wise person!

Lewis
14-01-2014, 06:47 PM
All of Mahatma Gandhi's quotes are great.. e.g.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan107039.html)

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan103630.html)

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan150710.html)

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan107529.html)

An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching. (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mahatmagan134879.html)

they're all great

David
14-01-2014, 07:00 PM
I was Catholic until I reached the age of reason ~ George Carlin

I don’t have pet peeves — I have major psychotic ******* hatreds ~ George Carlin

I think, roughly, the desire to be a politician should ban you for life of ever being one ~ Billy Connolly

Shar
14-01-2014, 07:30 PM
I can pick out hundreds of Grey's anatomy quotes but I'll just stick to one:

Sometimes, the key to making progress is to recognize how to take that very first step. Then you start your journey. You hope for the best and you stick with it, day in, day out. Even if you’re tired, even if you want to walk away, you don’t. Because you are a pioneer. But nobody ever said it’d be easy.

- Meredith Grey - ‘Man on the Moon’ - Season 10, Episode 11
A few of my favourite one tree hill quotes:

You can choose to blame your circumstances on fate or bad luck or bad choices. or you can fight back. things arent always going to be fair in the real world. That's just the way it is. but for the most part, you get what you give. The rest of your life is being shaped right now. with the dreams you chase, the choices you make, and the person you decide to be. the rest of your life is a long time. And the rest of your life starts right now.

Happiness is not a destination. It is a mood, it is not permanent. It comes and goes and if people thought that way then maybe people would find happiness more often.

Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Maybe it’s good to put things in perspective, but sometimes, I think that the only perspective is to really be there. Because it’s okay to feel things. I was really there. And that was enough to make me feel infinite. I feel infinite.

karter
14-01-2014, 07:30 PM
ok this is gonna be a long list

"When someone was willing to drown with me, I really didn’t want to drown anymore."- Marilyn Manson

“I hope one day, you meet someone and they feel like home and make you realize that you have been homeless your entire life.”

- M.O.W.

"IT TOOK MANY YEARS OF VOMITING UP ALL THE FILTH I’D BEEN TAUGHT ABOUT MYSELF, AND HALF-BELIEVED, BEFORE I WAS ABLE TO WALK ON THIS EARTH AS THOUGH I HAD A RIGHT TO BE HERE."
- James Baldwin

"I used to imagine adventures for myself, I invented a life, so that I could at least exist somehow."— Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground

“The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald (http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3190.F_Scott_Fitzgerald), The Great Gatsby (http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/245494)

- - - Updated - - -

I can pick out hundreds of Grey's anatomy quotes but I'll just stick to one:

same! I have loads of grey's anatomy quotes. Might add some later.

David
14-01-2014, 07:59 PM
You see a mouse trap, I see free cheese and a ******* challenge ~ Scroobius Pip

In the end they are just words, you give them power when you cower man - it's so absurd ~ Scroobius Pip

Drew
15-01-2014, 05:30 AM
"As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once." ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Daltron
15-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Three of my favs from Tumblr!

He may still love you. He probably does. He probably doesn't know what he wants. He probably still thinks about you all the time. But that isn't what matters. What matters is what he's doing about it, and what he's doing about it is nothing. And if he's doing nothing, you most certainly shouldn't do anything. You need someone who goes out of their way to make it obvious that they want you in their life. - Unknown

If you have to speculate if someone loves you and wants to be with you, chances are they don't. It's not that complicated. Don't waste moments waiting and wondering. Don't throw away your time dreaming of someone that doesn't want you. No one is that amazing, certainly not the one who would pass you up. - Donna Lynn Hope

The person in life that you will always be with the most, is yourself. Because even when you are with others, you are still with yourself, too. When you wake up in the morning, you are with yourself, laying in bed at night you are with yourself, walking down the street in the sunlight you are with yourself. What kind of person do you want to walk down the street with? What kind of person do you want to see at the end of the day before you fall asleep? Because that person is yourself, and it's your responsibility to be that person you want to be with. I know I want to spend my life with a person who knows how to let things go, who isn't full of hate, who's able to smile and be carefree. So that's what I have to be. - C. Joybell C

dbgtz
15-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your coffee.
Winston Churchill: Nancy, if you were my wife, I'd drink it.

Judas
16-01-2014, 03:12 AM
"you're ******* stupid and I hate you" - me

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!