PDA

View Full Version : Revising

Aiden
17-01-2014, 07:15 AM
I was reading a BBC article about revising and it said that 8/10 of the most popular ways don't work. The only one I can remember which was highly working was flash cards.

Which ways do you revise?

Kardan
17-01-2014, 07:41 AM
Flash cards, but really it is more like flash A4 pieces of paper because there's so much to learn. Constantly reading out and writing down proofs helps me memorise them (I need to memorise 15 proofs for my exam today, which I would say is about 8 pages of A4 long) and doing multiple examples of math questions so I rememver the method and recognise any problems that may occur.

Charz777
17-01-2014, 09:38 AM
I used to write all of my notes; important methods, proofs etc. on A3 paper, sort of like posters, and wallpaper my bedroom with them :P That only worked in GCSE/A-Level though, now I have far too much so I make smaller, A4, posters and make a folder of them.

If I have to memorise a formula or a set of axioms or something I will literally rewrite them over and over again until they are burned into my mind!! I used up I whole notepad with my rewriting last semester :P

karter
17-01-2014, 10:05 AM
writing mostly and self evaluating tests and reading them later to know the common mistakes which i make

Red
17-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I can easily learn multiple essays and repeat them word for word in exams. For Uni, I would study the exam q pattern, write answers to questions and learn them off. I used to just sit and read it while scribbling roughly the words onto some paper. Sometimes I recorded myself saying it. Creating neat concise notes never worked for me.

buttons
17-01-2014, 12:43 PM
giving yourself questions likely to come up and try to write an essay for it but don't try remember the essay because possibility u will have to change the structure on main exam. write up your notes on a4 under headings then do it again but write even less words, using only key words that will let you recall a whole heading.

Zak
17-01-2014, 12:50 PM
I write the core concepts down on a piece of paper and then memorise them. I could never revise at home - too many distractions.

Yawn
17-01-2014, 12:55 PM
concise notes and bullets points. i guess kind of like flash cards
just take a piece of paper and put down everything under the topic - defintions, concepts, case studies, examples

Shar
17-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Flash cards and practice essays

Eric
17-01-2014, 02:18 PM
i use small papers and write down important notes cause they look cute and nice so i won't be too stressed when i read them, then i think of questions they might ask when i'm reading especially essay questions

for maths, i do a lot of past years and lots of maths exercises until i'm good at it, as the formulas are in your brain once you've done a lot of exercises but i still look at them sometimes to make sure i don't make silly mistakes

FlyingJesus
17-01-2014, 02:28 PM
REVISION IS CHEATING idgi don't you learn it the first time through

buttons
17-01-2014, 02:31 PM
in uni I get core reading like every week which u rly need to read if u want a pass, u can't rely only on the lecturers notes u need to find info on ur own
and no I don't learn first time i don't understand most unless i re-read and read multiple sources to make sure it's right

dbgtz
17-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Depends on what it is. If it's just some facts, I'll list them appropriately, read them, then cover and try to remember and will do this as many times as necessary. Though usually when I did this I was able to split it into two columns, for example in law at college it would have the case name and what the case proves.

If it's something I can actually use, e.g. a formula, I'll probably go find some test questions or something. Vectors, in my second year of college, I mastered purely because I went over and over the method using some examples my teacher gave me.

Kardan
17-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Yes, and then you forget it by the time exams come around :P

Yawn
17-01-2014, 05:08 PM
a lot of the time my revision is me teaching myself im a noob

Matthew
17-01-2014, 05:11 PM
for maths I just do loads of past papers

for economics and history I re-write my notes (but shorter, only putting down the more important stuff)

Zelda
17-01-2014, 05:43 PM
for all 3 of my subjects (maths physics and chemistry) i literally just do tons of past papers, works well enough for me

Chippiewill
17-01-2014, 07:27 PM
Practise and reading.

Daltron
19-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Typically my weekly readings can be in excess of 300 pages a week so I usually read a page or subsection and write down the one central point I took away and the page number/book and I go back to that place if it comes up in an assessment to reaffirm the rule in my mind. My law school is very anti-exam and assessment heavy so usually it's best to summarise the location of different information for future reference.

I'll usually end up with about 10 pages worth of points and references to store away each week

lawrawrrr
19-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Rewriting stuff over and over again. Luckily I don't have any exams (apart from skills tests which are more simple based anyway) this year, I don't usually do very well in them :(

Cerys
19-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Flash cards work best in topics where I have to remember equations mainly - e.g physics and maths.

For maths I usually go on mymaths and just do the same homework many times so the method is stuck in my head.

Then for Law I'm resitting it at the moment so this year is basically a huge revision year for me really haha, but I've found that doing past papers and marking them to see where I've dropped the marks really help

Yupt
19-01-2014, 02:57 PM
I would take my notes from class and rewrite them condensing it each time until I had it all on one flash card, so I may have written it out 6/7 times before it got to that stage. It was a long process where most people would just say what a waste of time, but it worked for me.

Empired
19-01-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm really weird (and lucky I suppose) because I can sit down for 7 hours with a break for lunch somewhere and just write what I need to learn over and over again.

I did that for my spanish speaking and writing GCSE's the day before I took the exams and went in the next morning and copied 500 words both time word for word. It's tiring but I prefer it to revising a little bit each day.

Cassiieee
19-01-2014, 04:16 PM
TBH. I've never revised.

When I lived in England, We never done revision really, then when I moved to Spain, I never understood the language to read what I had to revise on, then at College I just cheated really. I typed everything into google translate, swapped i to English, then back to Spaish, so it was the English way to speak Spanish and got away with it without reading.

Demi
19-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Exams are all about memory.
You should play memory games 2-3 weeks before any revision, helps get your brain in the mood.
Flash cards are by far the best way for me.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!