PDA

View Full Version : Some problems more important than others

Aiden
17-01-2014, 04:17 PM
There is always one problem which is more important than another... do you think that the less-important one should be dismissed until the bigger one is fixed?

---

When I think about it, I think like this

Person 1:

Sad because they never met their grandparents

Person 2:

Sa because there grandparents died a few days ago

I think most of us would agree that person 2 has a more bigger problem but does that mean it's not as important? Something which could matter to one person might mean nothing to another. I personally think that everyone should be allowed to feel how they like and not told it's to unimportant to deal with now... so...

---

I think all problems should be equally as important if it affects people... !

Debate short:

Should more 'important' problems dismiss less 'important' ones?

MKR&*42
17-01-2014, 04:20 PM
No they shouldn't and that is why we get some dumbasses coming along and saying to people something like "I know you're suicidal and suffer from a mental illness, but there are people in Africa dying so you don't have a right to be upset" which is the sickest approach ever and solves NOTHING.

Dismissing someone's problem as unimportant doesn't ever solve it and probably makes it worse.

Aiden
17-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Oh I feel you there Hayden. I ate it when someone compares someones problems to Africa and stuff like that. It's really old.

buttons
17-01-2014, 04:22 PM
"Do u think less important one should be dismissed until the bigger is fixed?" not really because solving small problems can help u deal with bigger problems or even help fix the big problem ie feel bad about your body which affects your whole life as can't get out the house etc. change he thoughts to more positive may then completely eradicate the 'bigger problem' of not being able to get out the house.

as for ur scenario it entirely depends. u could be more sad about never meeting your grandparents than someone whose grandparents died and they knew them. it may be that the person in scenario 2 knew their grandparents but weren't close whilst person 1 may have been told their grandparents never met them because they didn't want to. i think i would be more upset if my grandparents didnt want to meet me than to have known them, not be close, then for them to die. so a situation depends entirely on the details and the meaning it has on a person. all problems should be seen as important, even the small ones because they can lead to bigger troubles.

Phil
17-01-2014, 08:23 PM
No they shouldn't and that is why we get some dumbasses coming along and saying to people something like "I know you're suicidal and suffer from a mental illness, but there are people in Africa dying so you don't have a right to be upset" which is the sickest approach ever and solves NOTHING.

Dismissing someone's problem as unimportant doesn't ever solve it and probably makes it worse.

Pretty much what Hayden said. I absolutely hate it when people use things liek this or like "My problem is bigger so lets concentrate on me XOXOX" UHM NO SOZ you don't know how I'm feeling ;ll

Empired
18-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Absolutely not. You can't compare your own happiness/sadness with someone else's because you're two totally different people feeling two totally different things.

MKR&*42
18-01-2014, 03:52 PM
This also just popped up on my dashboard again and I felt it necessary for the debate/my argument ;p

Just because one person’s problem is less traumatic than another’s doesn’t mean they’re required to hurt less.
— J. A. Redmerski (The Edge Of Never)

GommeInc
19-01-2014, 11:51 PM
I suppose you could say "A never met his father" and "B lost his father two years ago", "A is friends with B and saw how he interacted with his father before he died". I think A could have a problem if he saw how someone else interacted with their own father before they passed away, because A witnesses an intimate moment which he wouldn't have a memory of, unlike B who would have the memories. A context added changes the views of both. There are some instances where a father would be useful to have. For a women, the lack of a father at her wedding that she never knew would be painful, before and after going to another wedding where the father was present. Person B who may have lost her father before her wedding would also feel pain. If someone feels pain, no value should be added to it. Pain is pain.

That's a good quote Hayden to add to the debate :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!