PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Advice

Mr-Trainor
18-01-2014, 11:23 PM
Ok so I'm buying a new laptop and I'm looking at the Inspiron 15 7000 series as it fits in to my budget of roughly £750 (bearing in mind I have 10% discount there) and is the same brand as my current, now old, laptop which has always worked well; and so here's the three options to choose from: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7537/pd

I'm definitely not going for the middle option as it doesn't appear to have discrete graphics, so it's out of the 1st and 2nd. I'll be using the laptop at most for photo/video editing; e.g. photoshop, after effects, premier pro etc and after looking at recommended specs for those apps it seems as though the first option would actually be fine and would save me ~£200 which would be great, and also that 6gb ram can be upgraded if that ever becomes necessary.

BUT I just realised the screen is different, (1920 x 1080) on the £800 option or (1366 x 768) on the £600 option which seems like a big difference but tbh I have no idea.. would it be noticeable? Considering I'll likely be doing photo/video editing, will it be good enough? Just need some opinions because I'm not sure :P. Both screens are still advertised as the same 'LED Backlit Touch Display with Truelife and HD' though. Thanks (A).

Jack!
19-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Ones 720p, Ones 1080p

So both are HD, Yes.

I'd go for the £799 so you have the GT750M and an i7 personally (Plus it has a 1TB drive compared to 500GB for the cheaper one), i5 will probably be fine though so go for the £599 one and buy yourself a RAM upgrade.

Calum0812
19-01-2014, 10:10 AM
In terms of the resolution, don't forget if you get a laptop that will last a little longer and be more future proof that you can always buy a cheap-ish 1920x1080 monitor if you really notice it (which for video editing you may do)

mrwoooooooo
19-01-2014, 11:17 AM
third one

lawrawrrr
19-01-2014, 12:51 PM
In terms of the resolution, don't forget if you get a laptop that will last a little longer and be more future proof that you can always buy a cheap-ish 1920x1080 monitor if you really notice it (which for video editing you may do)
Yeah I was about to say this too; buying a larger monitor as well makes it so much easier for photo editing and stuff - and you can get a much higher res than most laptops.

I can't believe you got a dell to last that long though, I had a studio which basically packed in after a year, and my friend's had the inspiron which did the same!!

Cassiieee
19-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Get a computer. Laptops are useless.

xxMATTGxx
19-01-2014, 11:00 PM

He might want it to be portable for various reasons.

Mr-Trainor
20-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :). I think I'll go for the second option mainly for the screen - I guess it's worth the extra £180 anyway. Although I'm gonna wait until end of the month when the free shipping deal ends to see if that gets replaced with something else :P.

I have an iMac as my desktop but as Matt said, I want something more portable :P.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!