PDA

View Full Version : Two Labour councillors suspended over Facebook comments

-:Undertaker:-
22-01-2014, 07:02 PM
http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/news/politics/labour-councillors-suspended-from-party-1-5785354#.UsfVbKX9GJs.twitter

Two Labour councillors suspended over Facebook comments

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/webimage/1.5785352!/image/2798035886.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_215/2798035886.jpg

Two Luton Labour Councillors have been suspended from the Labour party over alleged comments made on Facebook.

Husband and wife Mohammad Ayub and Naseem Ayub are both councillors for the Biscot ward and Naseem is a member of the council’s executive committee.

Allegations were made about the couple before shortly Christmas concerning their use of social media sites.

An East of England Labour Party Spokesperson said: “Following allegations about comments made on Facebook, Councillor Mohammad Ayub and Councillor Naseem Ayub were suspended from the Labour Party.”

The pair will continue their council duties such as attending meetings and voting.

Naseem, who was elected in 2011, is also the Labour candidate for the Eastern Region in the MEP elections.

Mohammad was elected in 2007.

Bedfordshire Police confirmed they are investigating potential offences under the Computer Misuse Act 1990 (unauthorised access) and/or Malicious Communications Act 1988 (send offensive communication/incite racial hatred).

A Beds Police spokesperson said: “As this investigation is ongoing at this time it would be inappropriate to comment further. As no one has been charged in connection with this investigation we will not confirm the identity of those involved.”

Everytime a UKIP councillor says something daft, the media are on to them like a ton of bricks - which is fine, except it's all one sided as whenever Liberal Democrat, Tory or Labour councillors say something similar: nobody is interested.

It's strange that, isn't it?

Thoughts?

GommeInc
22-01-2014, 07:15 PM
What did they allegedly say? The article doesn't say - or at the bit you quoted.

Kardan
22-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Maybe it's because it's not been reported what was said? The UKIP 'Gays cause floods' guy was jumped on because what he said was absolutely ridiculous :P

22-01-2014, 08:10 PM
Maybe it's because it's not been reported what was said? The UKIP 'Gays cause floods' guy was jumped on because what he said was absolutely ridiculous :P

A Liberal Democrat councillor was jailed earlier this year for planning a bomb campaign yet recieved virtually no national coverage on TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312625/Denbigh-explosions-Lib-Dem-councillor-John-Larsen-held-bomb-campaign.html

Again, ain't it strange how it works? Why isn't Nick Clegg being dragged to the TV studios to explain these things?

Kardan
22-01-2014, 08:26 PM
A Liberal Democrat councillor was jailed earlier this year for planning a bomb campaign yet recieved virtually no national coverage on TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312625/Denbigh-explosions-Lib-Dem-councillor-John-Larsen-held-bomb-campaign.html

Again, ain't it strange how it works? Why isn't Nick Clegg being dragged to the TV studios to explain these things?

You can't really make a story out of something if you don't know what happened.

With this Denbigh thing, I didn't even hear about the bombs let alone someone being charged for it. But you're right, UKIP do get more press coverage over these sorts of things.

22-01-2014, 08:30 PM
You can't really make a story out of something if you don't know what happened.

With this Denbigh thing, I didn't even hear about the bombs let alone someone being charged for it. But you're right, UKIP do get more press coverage over these sorts of things.

Well exactly, thats my point - that we never hear of these things from the media unless they're UKIP. I only hear of what LibLabCon politicians are up to because members of the public who support UKIP helpfully post the local links in the likes of the Telegraph comments section. There's a great grassroots site called Labour25 that's been set up which documents pedophiles in the Labour Party - most of which I haven't heard one thing about on television. Imagine if the roles were reversed and it was UKIP councillors up to all of this. http://labour25.com/

The Don
22-01-2014, 08:31 PM

Except it was on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-24653507

Selective memory right there.

22-01-2014, 08:34 PM
Except it was on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-24653507

Selective memory right there.

Ooooooh a story on the website.

I'm not talking about the internet, i'm talking about television. The national coverage given to some stupid comments made by UKIP councillors vastly outweights even a bomb plot by a Liberal Democrat councillor of pedophiles in the Labour Party. And that's why the coverage is upside down.

As I said before, when was the last time you rememeber Miliband or Clegg being asked constantly about pedophiles in their party or a terrorist?

The Don
22-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Ooooooh a story on the website.

I'm not talking about the internet, i'm talking about television. The national coverage given to some stupid comments made by UKIP councillors vastly outweights even a bomb plot by a Liberal Democrat councillor of pedophiles in the Labour Party. And that's why the coverage is upside down.

As I said before, when was the last time you rememeber Miliband or Clegg being asked constantly about pedophiles in their party or a terrorist?

There's a video on the article which would have undoubtedly been show on tv, stop chatting rubbish.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8qVPQruBRQ

22-01-2014, 08:38 PM
There's a video on the article which would have undoubtedly been show on tv, stop chatting rubbish.

It's you who is talking rubbish by assuming that every clip made on BBC home is shown on television. And even so, whilst it may be shown that doesn't mean it's given the same coverage that comments by Ukip councillors have been given. Why isn't Clegg being hauled on TV to answer over and over again for these things, why isn't Miliband being made to answer for pedophiles in the Labour Party?

Did you know about the Labour 25 or the Liberal Democrat bomb plot prior to me posting it?

The Don
22-01-2014, 08:43 PM
It's you who is talking rubbish by assuming that every clip made on BBC home is shown on television.

Did you know about the Labour 25 or the Liberal Democrat bomb plot prior to me posting it?

In your original post you said "Well exactly, thats my point - that we never hear of these things from the media unless they're UKIP." which has been proven to be completely wrong, now you're arguing and nitpicking to somehow prove that you're correct.

22-01-2014, 08:45 PM
In your original post you said "Well exactly, thats my point - that we never hear of these things from the media unless they're UKIP." which has been proven to be completely wrong, now you're arguing and nitpicking to somehow prove that you're correct.

Alright, i'll rephrase - they are given nowhere near the same coverage as daft comments from Ukip councillors are.

The Don
22-01-2014, 08:52 PM
Alright, i'll rephrase - they are given nowhere near the same coverage as daft comments from Ukip councillors are.

If a councillor from any other party said something that ridiculous they would have also attracted attention.

22-01-2014, 08:55 PM
If a councillor from any other party said something that ridiculous they would have also attracted attention.

So why haven't these two been investigated/splashed all over the television?

We know from May in 2013 that UKIP is being targeted because Conservative Headquarters (CCHQ) are being paid to trawl through Facebook, Twitter and other personal accounts to find dirt on UKIP members - which they then hand over to the media which is blown out of proportion with 24-hour coverage. I could find dozens, even hundreds, of examples of Labour, Tory or Liberal Democrat members or councillors all posting ridiculous things, being convicted of touching children or even planting bombs - yet none of it is given the same 24-hour, 'WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS MR FARAGE'-type coverage. And that's what is wrong.

The Don
22-01-2014, 09:09 PM
So why haven't these two been investigated?

The BBC ran an article on it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-25593355

If you mean why hasn't it had the same coverage as the UKIP fiasco, that's because we don't know what the comments said and the UKIP Councilors comments were made publically and were completely ridiculous, comments as outrageous as those will always attract attention because it's so ridiculous.

We know from May in 2013 that UKIP is being targeted because Conservative Headquarters (CCHQ) are being paid to trawl through Facebook, Twitter and other personal accounts to find dirt on UKIP members - which they then hand over to the media which is blown out of proportion with 24-hour coverage. I could find dozens, even hundreds, of examples of Labour, Tory or Liberal Democrat members or councillors all posting ridiculous things, being convicted of touching children or even planting bombs - yet none of it is given the same 24-hour, 'WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THIS MR FARAGE'-type coverage. And that's what is wrong.

As shown earlier in this thread, members from other political parties do attract media attention, I don't wish to compare the extent to which they attract attention as there's no decisive conclusion to be made nor any way to compare. Controversial comments made publically attract scrutiny regardless of the political party, don't pretend otherwise.

22-01-2014, 09:12 PM
The BBC ran an article on it?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-25593355

As shown earlier in this thread, members from other political parties do attract media attention, I don't wish to compare the extent to which they attract attention as there's no decisive conclusion to be made nor any way to compare. Controversial comments made publically attract scrutiny regardless of the political party, don't pretend otherwise.

I'm not pretending otherwise. I have said quite clearly that politicians should be subjected to scrutiny. The problem I have is that the coverage given to the daft comments of one particular party (Ukip) is vastly overblown compared to coverage of daft comments/child abuse/terrorism within the establishment parties (LibLabCon). That's all, and I think that's a fair comment to make.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!