PDA

View Full Version : Man dies from neck nomination game

Absently
02-02-2014, 01:53 PM
A young man in Dublin has died after apparently downing a pint of whiskey as part of a social media trend.

The 23-year-old from the south inner city is said to have taken part in a 'neck nomination', a trend where people are dared to down a pint of an alcoholic drink in the space of 24 hours on social media.The participant must then video their actions as part of the dare.
The young man who died drank the pint at a party in the Pearse Street area of Dublin on Friday night after he was 'nominated'.

It's believed the man, who was a student, was found dead at his friend's house early yesterday morning.
"He was a legend, a lovely guy with an absolute zest for life," a friend said.
"He loved to have fun and was a real character, a joker, and someone who loved his family," the family friend added.
"He was very close with his family and was always going away with his brothers. They're devastated."
'Neck nomination', which is thought to have originated in Australia (http://searchtopics.independent.ie/topic/Australia), has become very popular on Irish social media.
Participants in the practice record a video of themselves downing a pint as fast as they can and nominating other people to do it once they have finished.
It has been condemned by many organisations promoting the responsible consumption of alcohol, including Alcohol Ireland.
The 'game' reinforces the belief that getting drunk is both normal and fun, according to the organisation's chief, Suzanne Costello.
"The way this game spreads through social media by 'nominations' also means that many young people who would never consider doing something like this are now coming under considerable peer pressure to put themselves in danger – not just in terms of their health, but also the poor decision-making, accidents and the other forms of risky behaviour that we know go hand-in-hand with binge drinking," she said.

Read it all here (http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/young-man-dies-after-drinking-a-pint-of-whiskey-in-social-networks-game-29971505.html)

I'm sure everyone has heard of the game as it's literally all over facebook and someone posted about it not so long ago. As far as I'm aware, they're not even 100% sure he died from the game but of course they're gonna go on a riot with it...

wixard
02-02-2014, 01:57 PM
he did the nomination a week before he died
skeptical, he was a dj i'm gonna take a wild guess and suggest it was actually to do with drugs

Daltron
02-02-2014, 01:58 PM
I wonder who he would have neknominated

Jurv
02-02-2014, 02:03 PM
my brother posted a video of him doing that game at uni on facebook it was rather gross and cringey

Kardan
02-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Am I the only one never to have heard of this neck nomination thing? Sounds incredibly stupid.

Hannah
02-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Am I the only one never to have heard of this neck nomination thing? Sounds incredibly stupid.

It is very stupid. I'm yet to see the interest in it, but a large amount of my social media friends have participated in it 'for the lulz'.

It's as though these people feel that because they have been nominated by someone stupid enough to do it, they have to then become as stupid in fear of a negative response or something. o.O

wixard
02-02-2014, 02:44 PM
i don't see how it's stupid, you're meant to just down a pint of beer
no harm from that, it's when people take it too far by downing spirits or some other idiotic mix

Hannah
02-02-2014, 02:49 PM
i don't see how it's stupid, you're meant to just down a pint of beer
no harm from that, it's when people take it too far by downing spirits or some other idiotic mix

One, a lot of people are trying to outdo the others by downing more than a pint.
Secondly, it promotes alcohol abuse.
Finally, spreading it just peer pressures other people into doing it, which is not right.

dirrty
02-02-2014, 02:55 PM
One, a lot of people are trying to outdo the others by downing more than a pint.
Finally, spreading it just peer pressures other people into doing it, which is not right.
lmao that made me laugh

Hannah
02-02-2014, 03:01 PM
lmao that made me laugh

It wasn't meant to - it's quite a serious issue.

j0rd
02-02-2014, 03:07 PM
your all so straight on here

wixard
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM

one - well that's their own problem for being so ******* stupid
secondly - no it doesn't
finally - you'd have to have the intelligence of a jellyfish to feel peer pressured into doing it, if you don't want to do it nobody is forcing you too... i've seen plenty of people get nominated and not do it

-:Undertaker:-
02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
I never do drinking games as they make me bloated and I end up vomming like I did after last night. :P

I don't find them funny either.

GommeInc
02-02-2014, 06:14 PM
Ah so that's what the people on my Facebook feed have been doing :P Looks boring, but for some reason people feel compelled to do it after they've been nominated.

Yawn
02-02-2014, 07:46 PM
downing drinks isnt gonna make u die
if it wasnt this drinking game ppl wud be playing another and drinking just as much just as quick

buttons
02-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Ah so that's what the people on my Facebook feed have been doing :P Looks boring, but for some reason people feel compelled to do it after they've been nominated.
THIS. ive had a little rant on fbook about how it's stupid but not in the oh it's so dangerous (iv downed drinks on night outs so it'd be a bit hypocritical) but it just looks so boring? like people downing drinks naked, soooo crazy???

downing drinks isnt gonna make u die
if it wasnt this drinking game ppl wud be playing another and drinking just as much just as quick
yea downing a pint of beer maybe but iv seen people downing whiskey bottles and jaeger within seconds bleh there have been loads of cases of ppl dying after downing vodka hasn't there?

theres also apparently a second death in Ireland linked to it http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/neknomination-online-drinking-game-second-death-in-ireland-linked-to-neck-nomination-29972386.html

GommeInc
02-02-2014, 10:02 PM
THIS. ive had a little rant on fbook about how it's stupid but not in the oh it's so dangerous (iv downed drinks on night outs so it'd be a bit hypocritical) but it just looks so boring? like people downing drinks naked, soooo crazy???
I'd go so far as to say downing it after being nominated ruins the appeal. If you just randomly did it one night for no reason it may be funny, but nominating someone to do after doing it yourself makes ruins the "magic", if you can call it that. Besides, if anyone can do it is it really that spectacular? Waste of a good drink if you do not savour it.

Kardan
02-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys, now that you brought it to my attention, it is suddenly appearing like a virus all over my Facebook feed. I just had some guy drinking 'His finest champers' in his hot tub outside. He looks like a complete arse.

e5
02-02-2014, 10:10 PM
It's not always necessarily the game that's killed 2 people now. They just irresponsibly drink alot of alcohol anyway. I did mine, but I was moderately senisbly. The idea is to do better than the person before you. Most people are just putting aload of rubbish in their drink followed by a bit of alcohol or a few shots. Not a pint of a spirit though, that's ridiculous.

GommeInc
02-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys, now that you brought it to my attention, it is suddenly appearing like a virus all over my Facebook feed. I just had some guy drinking 'His finest champers' in his hot tub outside. He looks like a complete arse.
He downed a pint of champagne or that cheap stuff? Literally can't remember it's name - too privileged :P That would be waste either way. Want to hazard a guess it's not a hot tub and that it's him making the bubbles? Champagne/fizzy wine is quite... fizzy...

Kardan
02-02-2014, 10:15 PM
He downed a pint of champagne or that cheap stuff? Literally can't remember it's name - too privileged :P That would be waste either way. Want to hazard a guess it's not a hot tub and that it's him making the bubbles? Champagne/fizzy wine is quite... fizzy...

Haven't got a clue, his video is as dark as hell. And he just drinks it from the bottle, so I'm pretty sure he didn't drink a pint.

Absently
02-02-2014, 10:32 PM

yea downing a pint of beer maybe but iv seen people downing whiskey bottles and jaeger within seconds bleh there have been loads of cases of ppl dying after downing vodka hasn't there?

theres also apparently a second death in Ireland linked to it http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/republic-of-ireland/neknomination-online-drinking-game-second-death-in-ireland-linked-to-neck-nomination-29972386.htmlyah a lad from carlow :/ he jumped into the river after it or something was found this morning and brought to my local hospital :( agh poor lad, especially since we've had weather warnings and he went and did that

Kardan
04-02-2014, 08:52 AM
The amount of peer pressure on my Facebook wall is astounding.

peteyt
04-02-2014, 02:45 PM
The problem isn't really the game itself in my opinion it's the fact that people want to go one better than the last one, get more likes etc. Some are funny, a friends friend for example went on a wrecking ball like thing in a park with wrecking ball being played, someone did the lazy song with monkey masks.

Some people just take it too far though. I read some have drank stuff like oils. While I think it's bad that some might be peer pressured into doing it, a lot of the people doing the dangerous stuff seem to know what their doing and just aren't thinking.

Oh and someone I work with did a sick one where basically he added drink with a load of crap into a blender. I'm talking about a tin of tuna, Reggae Reggae Sauce, a tin of soup, a load of spices, a full egg still in its shell etc. Knocked it all back in one go without gagging even though it tasted rank. I would have lost at the smell of it

Kardan
04-02-2014, 02:56 PM
The problem isn't really the game itself in my opinion it's the fact that people want to go one better than the last one, get more likes etc. Some are funny, a friends friend for example went on a wrecking ball like thing in a park with wrecking ball being played, someone did the lazy song with monkey masks.

Some people just take it too far though. I read some have drank stuff like oils. While I think it's bad that some might be peer pressured into doing it, a lot of the people doing the dangerous stuff seem to know what their doing and just aren't thinking.

Oh and someone I work with did a sick one where basically he added drink with a load of crap into a blender. I'm talking about a tin of tuna, Reggae Reggae Sauce, a tin of soup, a load of spices, a full egg still in its shell etc. Knocked it all back in one go without gagging even though it tasted rank. I would have lost at the smell of it

At uni I heard someone talking about a guy that added crap to his protein shake for a neck nomination, And when I say crap, I mean actual faeces.

Absently
04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
At uni I heard someone talking about a guy that added crap to his protein shake for a neck nomination, And when I say crap, I mean actual faeces.

Yeah I've heard of someone who just put **** in if and drank it or I've seen a naked guy in a barn with cows surrounding him and pissing into a glass and drinking it...

efq
04-02-2014, 03:48 PM
When they start competing and taking it over the top and mixing god knows what it gets silly and dangerous compared to just a few simple drinks.

IMHO if you're going to do this and end up needing treatment at hospital, you deserve to be billed for it.

Ailurus
04-02-2014, 03:54 PM
I had never heard of it, and then a week after this thread was posted it exploded all over my Facebook News Feed. I've not seen videos, but status', so I've been going around commenting 'a guy died from that'. We all know that it's probably not true, but the media will do anything to associate students with irresponsible drinking which is so stupid - we're not all like that. >.<

FlyingJesus
04-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Can't you just down a glass of water and say it's vodka if you want to look cool

buttons
04-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Can't you just down a glass of water and say it's vodka if you want to look cool
no people would rather wee in a glass n drink it

sex
04-02-2014, 09:16 PM
the guy died from somthing else not a neck nominations the papers are reporting it wrong. he was my friends cousin
anyways rip its so sad

Kardan
05-02-2014, 10:41 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151854072581650&set=vb.597571649&type=2&theater

Leicester disappoints me. Don't watch if flesh offends you.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!