PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs wanted Sony VAIOs to run OS X

xxMATTGxx
05-02-2014, 09:26 PM
It's been currently reported that back in the day Steve Jobs wanted OS X running on Sony VAIO machines.

In 2005, Steve Jobs' announcement that Apple's computers would be moving from PowerPC to Intel surprised many. OS X had been living "a secret double life" with Intel for five years, said Jobs, but according to a new report from Japan, that life almost included an even more shocking partner — Sony.

Japanese freelance writer Nobuyuki Hayashi, who has covered Apple for over two decades, quotes ex-Sony president Kunitake Ando recalling a 2001 meeting between him and Jobs in Hawaii. After playing a round of golf with other Sony executives, says Ando, "Steve Jobs and another Apple executive were waiting for us at the end of the golf course holding VAIO running Mac OS." Jobs had shut down the Mac "clone" business years earlier but, according to Ando, admired Sony's VAIO line so much he was "willing to make an exception." The timing, however, was bad. Sales of the company's Windows-powered laptops had just begun taking off, and the negotiations to make Mac-compatible VAIO's ultimately came to nothing.

Read the full article at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5380832/sony-vaio-apple-os-x-steve-jobs-meeting-report

I wonder if they did actually go with this how the OS X market would be today. Bigger market share?

GommeInc
06-02-2014, 05:32 PM
It's been currently reported that back in the day Steve Jobs wanted OS X running on Sony VAIO machines.

Read the full article at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/5/5380832/sony-vaio-apple-os-x-steve-jobs-meeting-report

I wonder if they did actually go with this how the OS X market would be today. Bigger market share?
Price wise they're not that different - VAIOs are horrendously over-priced for no apparent reason. In fact, would much have changed if this had happened? It would be like Mercedes owning Lexus :/

xxMATTGxx
06-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Price wise they're not that different - VAIOs are horrendously over-priced for no apparent reason. In fact, would much have changed if this had happened? It would be like Mercedes owning Lexus :/

I assume there would have been more range on what you could buy I guess?

GommeInc
06-02-2014, 07:25 PM
I assume there would have been more range on what you could buy I guess?
Possibly. Depends how big a market share VAIO had at the time, too.

peteyt
08-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Would it work though? A lot of people apparently go for Apple for exclusivity, such as ios only being used on iphones unlike Android.

GommeInc
08-02-2014, 05:57 PM
Would it work though? A lot of people apparently go for Apple for exclusivity, such as ios only being used on iphones unlike Android.
Indeed. If anything Apple will be competing with themselves with the market share of iOS devices being split between the two. VAIOs are not that popular and if they had iOS then pure iOS devices like MacBook Pros would just see fewer sales. It wouldn't make a dent on the computer market, as back when this plan was around Windows was generally top dog and iOS didn't mean anything. Having it on VAIO devices wouldn't really change anything :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!