PDA

View Full Version : Schapelle Corby Granted Parole

Daltron
07-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Convicted Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby has been granted parole more than nine years after she was jailed.

Corby, a former Gold Coast beauty student, will be required to stay in Indonesia and report regularly to authorities once she is released from prison.

She is expected to live with her sister Mercedes, who lives in Kuta in southern Bali.

Indonesian justice minister Amir Syamsuddin held a press conference in Jakarta where he spoke about the prisoner applications he had been reviewing, including Corby's.

He said Corby's review has been completed, but when asked if she had been given parole, said he did not want to talk specifically about the Australian.

The minister appeared to distance himself from any suggestion that the decision was a personal response.

"It is not the compassion of the minister or the government, it is the right which is regulated by the laws, by the act, by the government provisions and all of the regulations that exist.
"We are a dignified nation and we enforce the law and we don't look at who that person is, we look at the legislation and the rights of those people."

Soon after, reporters were handed a press release saying that Corby's parole application had been approved because she has fulfilled all the substantial terms as required under Indonesian law.

A timeline of events leading up to this parole can be viewed here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/interactives/timelines/schapelle-corby-bali-timeline/#12).

May 27th, 2005
Video of final court encounter before prison sentence.
-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8JrZ6D00c

I remember being very young in primary school when this was rapid in the media and was a HUGE discussion point for years here in Australia. Many people would banter over whether she deserves to stay over there and serve or come back to Australia, and even if she actually did it as she claims innocence to this day. Interesting to see she is granted parole. I think she did do it and I am glad she has spent this long in prison but it has probably been long enough. Hopefully people take this as a lesson in the future.

The Don
07-02-2014, 02:04 PM
A timeline of events leading up to this parole can be viewed here (http://www.abc.net.au/news/interactives/timelines/schapelle-corby-bali-timeline/#12).

May 27th, 2005
Video of final court encounter before prison sentence.
-----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8JrZ6D00c

I remember being very young in primary school when this was rapid in the media and was a HUGE discussion point for years here in Australia. Many people would banter over whether she deserves to stay over there and serve or come back to Australia, and even if she actually did it as she claims innocence to this day. Interesting to see she is granted parole. I think she did do it and I am glad she has spent this long in prison but it has probably been long enough. Hopefully people take this as a lesson in the future.

Even if she did do it she was still forced to spend 9 years of her life in prison for transporting a plant across imaginary lines, how ridiculous does that sound?

-:Undertaker:-
07-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Even if she did do it she was still forced to spend 9 years of her life in prison for transporting a plant across imaginary lines, how ridiculous does that sound?

A border isn't an imaginary line, how many times do I have to repeat it?

That said, I'd agree with you to some extent although on the other hand those who traffic drugs deserve no sympathy for the simple reason that they know what they are getting into. It's like if you go to Saudi Arabia and are caught drinking, having unmarried/gay sex or insult the ruling House of Saud - you pretty much asked for it, especially as it's not your country to break or challenge those laws in.

Matt
08-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Idk if she's even innocent tbh. I wasn't in Australia when she first got arrested so idk what really happened other than it was for drugs and that she got a hell of a long time in prison.

Ekelektra
08-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm not really sure if she's innocent, her family have been involved with drugs in the past and even if she wasn't involved and had no idea, it might be that one of her brothers she was travelling with did. Also the bag it was in only had a boogie-board in it, how could you not realise a bag that should have weighed almost nothing was now 4kg heavier.

But then again like many people are saying, why would you smuggle marijuana into Bali when there's a lot of it there, and it would sell for more in Australia. It's all very interesting haha and I think she is lucky to be out of prison half way through her initial sentence.

Daltron
11-02-2014, 04:41 AM
Watched the telemovie about her the another night. Really made me view her as much softer and innocent (even though I still think she is guilty deep down)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!