PDA

View Full Version : obsolete objects? +rep

Jurv
09-02-2014, 05:21 PM
hiiiiiiiiiii

so i've decided to base my photography exam on the theme of 'reflect upon obsolescence'.

you get given like 14 or so exam titles to choose from and this one seemed the most interesting, the only problem that i have with it is that i need more ideas. i've been thinking of photographing stuff like records, phones, cds, vcr's and stuff like that but i can't really think of what else i could do, like i could do something less obvious like obsolete emotions, which might be a little personal but would be pretty cool. i only really need ideas for things i could photograph as presentation is something i look at later on but if you have any technique ideas then i wouldn't mind taking them into consideration

here's some definitions of obsolete that i found if you're wondering what it means:

- no longer produced or used; out of date.
- cause (a product or idea) to become obsolete by replacing it with something new.

i'll +rep anyone that helps me out. SO JUST LIST SOME OBJECTS THAT AREN'T USED ANYMORE

also @mods don't move this into photography section because it's nothing to do with photography (yet) thx

Ailurus
09-02-2014, 05:50 PM
VCR.

mrwoooooooo
09-02-2014, 06:17 PM
habbox rare values

David
09-02-2014, 06:18 PM
board games?

Yawn
09-02-2014, 06:19 PM
hmmm older generations of game console
buttons (touch screen :p)
house phones

dno none of these r even entirely obsolete but they r outdated

Empired
09-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I dunno but have you got any buildings or something in your area that are empty? The more vandalised the better. Anything like old train tracks/stops, bus shelters, telephone boxes. idk lol

mrwoooooooo
09-02-2014, 07:05 PM
I dunno but have you got any buildings or something in your area that are empty? The more vandalised the better. Anything like old train tracks/stops, bus shelters, telephone boxes. idk lol

telephone boxes is a gd one

Jurv
09-02-2014, 07:51 PM
VCR.

already said that one

habbox rare values

hahahahaha

board games?

oo thats a good one actually thanks daveeee

hmmm older generations of game console
buttons (touch screen :p)
house phones

dno none of these r even entirely obsolete but they r outdated

yhhh they don't need to be completely obsolete, just enough so i can link it to the theme somehow

i was thinking of maybe doing objects that may become obsolete in the future. might be pretty interesting!! thanks suu

ah that'd be cool i think they are quire a few buildings/shops that are no longer in use so i'll have to go check em out

and yeah telephone boxes is a good one, could maybe do a typology of them. thank yaa!

Yawn
09-02-2014, 08:10 PM
empireds suggestion is best especially for photography
the whole no longer used idea

Daltron
09-02-2014, 09:46 PM
nokia brick phone!!

- - - Updated - - -

snake on the phone too

lawrawrrr
09-02-2014, 10:47 PM
you could go for like a metaphotography theme and do film, photo developing labs and old cameras and things

something controversial like newspapers that are becoming obsolete? phone books etc as well

Jurv
09-02-2014, 11:02 PM
you could go for like a metaphotography theme and do film, photo developing labs and old cameras and things

something controversial like newspapers that are becoming obsolete? phone books etc as well

oo i like. i could maybe use film/old cameras to document some of the obsolete objects. thanks lawrawrrrrrrr!

Phil
09-02-2014, 11:47 PM
I was going to say what Laura suggested. I know you're into music and stuff so maybe old records, walkmans, vinyl (even though they're coming back in) that kinda thing?

Are there any abandoned places near you like not only buildings but maybe a park or a train track or something like that?

Samantha
10-02-2014, 01:34 AM
Jigsaw puzzles.
Old toys.
Films from old cameras and those that you could publish instantly.
Circuses and fun fairs perhaps? They're becoming less used now I guess.
To an extent, what about endangered animals?
Games vs. Apps.
Cinemas I don't know.
There are a lot of ways you could go with this :P. Jukeboxes, radio etc.

Kyle
10-02-2014, 02:13 AM
maps, books

Firehorse
12-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Avoid objects, if you're taking photos of old things you just happen to have or borrow you won't get a good mark.

Do some exploring, find an old abandoned building and/or industrial site.

You don't need to put yourself in danger to get some good photos; maybe an old pub that has been boarded up would make an interesting shot, maybe there's a phone box in your area no longer in use. Make them a focal point of an interesting image perhaps, for example you could sit your camera on a tripod and get a photo of the phone box while other people walk past in a blur: the phonebox represents a past time that stands still while the world carries on around it.

Create an image with contrast, maybe you have a picture of the phonebox, and somebody is standing next to it using a mobile phone.

Maybe there are other local businesses that have closed down and have left behind abandoned property.

Objects are boring, scenes are not. (Objects can be part of a scene).

Edit: (Just read through the thread and realised telephone boxes have already been mentioned, hope the contrasting part is a good extra idea for you though!)

God
14-02-2014, 02:51 AM
Records Books record player Old Toys like Dolls Kids playing outside idk

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!