PDA

View Full Version : should first class on trains be scrapped?

buttons
13-02-2014, 12:46 PM
i haven't seen a thread like this so my apologies if there is one
but there has been plans to scrap first class on busy routes and after reading this article; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2558386/First-class-carriages-scrapped-crowded-trains-disrupted-storms-Cameron-tells-rail-firms.html some people have commented it should be scrapped completely as we are all the same and it will stop overcrowding.
it doesn't bother me either way seeing as i don't use first class and generally get a seat if im going long journeys but it does make sense that if a person pays more money to ensure a more comfortable, pleasureable experience then they should be granted it.
what do you think?

scottish
13-02-2014, 01:12 PM
No it should be kept

If people want to pay more for more luxury travel why shouldn't they be able to. If trains have an issue with overcrowding then they should put more carriages on the train, not scrap first class.

But that article is just about storms atm I believe

Kardan
13-02-2014, 02:38 PM
The issue with adding more carriages is that some stations aren't long enough. Anyway, first class should be kept.

GommeInc
13-02-2014, 02:52 PM
First Class carriages sometime offer tiny yet understandable luxuries like plug sockets. If anything, a rename to "Business Class" could work.

Shar
13-02-2014, 03:10 PM
Keep it. A lot of people pay extra for it.

Red
13-02-2014, 03:27 PM
We don't have first class on our trains lmao. They are all pretty modern and have free wifi so its all good.

Joshirin
13-02-2014, 03:31 PM
I got on a first train, first class and it was no different aside from more room, which was a joke.

Southe,
13-02-2014, 03:41 PM
As someone who works in the railway..

No, as already mentioned there is no major difference between 1st class and standard class aside from price and the complimentary tea/coffee. If a train becomes to crowded where the standard class is fully standing the 1st class becomes open to everyone. Also my train home has a 1st class section, which as a non advertised 1st class service anyone can go in and sit down.

If they want to tackle overcrowding they need to add more carriages to busy services, Also add extra services if the trains are busy or if the platforms on that route don't accommodate longer trains. Which companies can't do because its Network Rail who own the tracks and they decide what trains get to run and when.

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vp/image/1388/25/1388256615489.jpg

Charz777
13-02-2014, 03:58 PM
As someone who gets a train to and from uni all the time I can say that first class is definitely a good thing. If I could afford to I'd pay to get a bit better quality. Mainly to get away from people. I hate to generalise, but a lot of the people I share a train with are ignorant, rude, loud and just generally irritate me. I'd love to be able to sit in the luxury of the first class coaches.

In standard people do not understand that you have to let people get off the train before you push your way on. Regardless of me living in England, I often find that people getting onto the train with me do not understanding the concept of queuing and just push their way to the train. People think it's okay to pay for one seat then put their bag or feet on the one next to them as if they have paid for two. And people don't understand personal space, they stick there bag or bum in your face and don't apologise if they hit you with their luggage. Plus, it's too crowded and full of ill people coughing and sneezing and not covering their mouths. Not to mention the people that shout down their phones, have arguments with there partners or scream back at their already screaming kids...

So, first class is definitely necessary because if people can afford to get away from that hell, then good on them. I wish I could.

But that's a bit off topic. The only thing I would change is the ratio of carriages of standard to first. The train I get (depending on what time of day it is) either has 7 or 5 coaches. For 7 the ratio is 4:3 and for 5 its 3:2 in favour of standard. The problem here is that all the standard carriages are packed and only 1 (if that) of the first carriages have people in, and they're nowhere near full, so on my particular train it's very unnecessary.

To sum up, keep first class but optimise the ratio :)

Also, just read the post above. We have never been offered to sit in first when the train is so full that people are sitting in the vestibules and standing in the aisles, and we have asked. Then the staff moan the people are in the way. But I wouldn't expect first to be opened to everyone. The people who pay more shouldn't have to put up with the standard folk disturbing them as well as getting tickets for the price of a standard when first class people had to pay twice or three times as much.

buttons
13-02-2014, 04:17 PM
First Class carriages sometime offer tiny yet understandable luxuries like plug sockets. If anything, a rename to "Business Class" could work.
hmm on trains from london they have a quiet coach in standard class which has plug sockets
and on my aberdeen-glasgow train it has free wifi and some of the aisles have sockets (altho they never seem to work lol)
basically first class is just a smaller place so quieter with some free food i think (on our scotrail trains)
no matter what though i just cant afford first class
i can get flights cheaper to some places than paying for standard

Southe,
13-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Off Topic: I always use to charge people double if there bags where on the seats, they would question the price and i would say its because your blocking a seat. I remember an entire family where going on holiday and took up 2 sets of tables, 1 for them and 1 for all there luggage. Got told to shift it, weren't happy.

On Topic: EDB>GLSW trains only have 18 1st class seats out of a 4/6 carriage train so the ratio for 1st/STD isn't a problem up here.

Kardan
13-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Off Topic: I always use to charge people double if there bags where on the seats, they would question the price and i would say its because your blocking a seat. I remember an entire family where going on holiday and took up 2 sets of tables, 1 for them and 1 for all there luggage. Got told to shift it, weren't happy.

On Topic: EDB>GLSW trains only have 18 1st class seats out of a 4/6 carriage train so the ratio for 1st/STD isn't a problem up here.

The train Char takes goes to London, so that probably explains the ratio. Might be needed on the initial/end of the journey, but seems ridiculous at other parts.

Inseriousity.
13-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I think when there is a major incident taking place and pressure on services is stretched to breaking point, allowances should be made to enable things to run as smoothly as possible. A bit of "blitz spirit" and all that where sacrifices have to be made. I would not feel much sympathy for someone who wanted to keep the commoners in their place or stranded on some platform just so they could have more leg room.

lemons
13-02-2014, 05:57 PM
keep it separate from the rich from the poor!

when greater anglia trains get too busy everyone seems to get on first class anyway even if they don't have a ticket

GommeInc
13-02-2014, 08:18 PM
hmm on trains from london they have a quiet coach in standard class which has plug sockets
and on my aberdeen-glasgow train it has free wifi and some of the aisles have sockets (altho they never seem to work lol)
basically first class is just a smaller place so quieter with some free food i think (on our scotrail trains)
no matter what though i just cant afford first class
i can get flights cheaper to some places than paying for standard
Look at you rubbing in your luxurious train network in my face :P Essex has a horrible network that doesn't like being dry, wet, cold or hot and the trains are old but that awful old which is about 80s/90s where there isn't any character. There are silent coaches, but they're just regular coaches with "Silent Coach" written on them. I wouldn't even like to say they have sockets in First Class as I'm fairly certain they're just bigger seats and nothing else :/

xxMATTGxx
14-02-2014, 12:53 PM
I think they should when something has happened to caused major delays such as flooding as of recently. But any other time should be up to the train company like it is with airlines in my own opinion.

-:Undertaker:-
14-02-2014, 05:29 PM
They should bring back second and third class too - third could be standing room.

Ailurus
14-02-2014, 06:05 PM
I don't think it should be scrapped, no. We pay for luxuries, as we should for First Class rail travel. And anyway, not all trains have that service available such as some Arriva Trains to Wales and inter-city trains or w/e.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!