PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Email Scam?

Liva
15-02-2014, 01:19 PM
I just checked my junk email folder and I got this one from 'amazon'. I only kind of signed up to see how much something would cost in AUD and how much postage would be, and then after not liking that price, I exited and didn't continue my order. Nevertheless, I have this and it looked obviously suspicious considering the email in the actual email isn't mine, it's just similar and same with the other email addresses it was sent to:
http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag109/yvviL/wot2_zps73c915ba.png

I assume the code at the bottom is some try at making it look authentic? But yes, very dodgy. Also, it also has blocked a lot of content in the email due to safety issues so this isn't the whole thing. Thoughts?

mrwoooooooo
15-02-2014, 01:29 PM
its in your junk mail folder for a reason

Samantha
15-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Yeah both me and my mum get these, luckily she asked me about it (as she doesn't really understand the Internet much), but it was immediately noticeable with the junk folder thing and the fact they're sending to a lot of similar recipients.

Liva
15-02-2014, 03:16 PM
OH really? I didn't figure that. Thanks...

Yeah both me and my mum get these, luckily she asked me about it (as she doesn't really understand the Internet much), but it was immediately noticeable with the junk folder thing and the fact they're sending to a lot of similar recipients.
Amazon is a reputable company though right? Were their information systems hacked or something? It just doesn't seem right.

xILoveKesha
15-02-2014, 03:22 PM
just because it says it's from amazon doesn't mean it's from amazon?

Mikey
15-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Yeah as above, people can set their e-mail address to make it look like it's from Amazon when it's actually not. If it's in junk then it's obviously a scam and if in doubt, check that the e-mail address it's being sent from has an @amazon.co.uk or @amazon.co.uk etc email.

:)

xxMATTGxx
15-02-2014, 06:51 PM
The invoices for Amazon also do not get sent to your email address via attachments which this email seems to have.

Liva
16-02-2014, 04:32 AM
just because it says it's from amazon doesn't mean it's from amazon?

Yeah as above, people can set their e-mail address to make it look like it's from Amazon when it's actually not. If it's in junk then it's obviously a scam and if in doubt, check that the e-mail address it's being sent from has an @amazon.co.uk or @amazon.co.uk etc email.

:)

How would they know if I'm signed up to amazon, if they don't have access to the amazon servers? That's what I mean.
I've deleted the email now so I can't check the sender, so all is good. :)

xILoveKesha
16-02-2014, 10:30 AM
because practically everyone is signed up to amazon... thats like asking how they knew you were signed up to facebook

peteyt
17-02-2014, 08:55 PM
How would they know if I'm signed up to amazon, if they don't have access to the amazon servers? That's what I mean.
I've deleted the email now so I can't check the sender, so all is good. :)

They just guess. It's the same with bank scam emails. I get emails from multiple different banks I'm not signed up to because what scammers do is send fake ones to multiple accounts as if one falls for it they can probably steal their card details and make a lot of money. They will spoof the email to make it appear to be genuine and usually have an embedded link where it appears to go to one site, the genuine site but it's coded to actually go to another, the scam site (usually designed to appear genuine with a similar url). Hovering over the links should show the real link in the bottom left corner in most browsers but to trick people spammers are starting to add genuine links to to make emails seem more genuine.

The best bet is to never open any attachments in these emails and be wary if they are asking for login information as most shouldn't be asking. Also spelling mistakes and greeting you by your email address or dear customer instead of your actual name is a good sign of a scam.

While this is true genuine emails can fall into spam especially when popular companies change their email addresses

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!