PDA

View Full Version : Bad attendance at uni

iBlueBox
17-02-2014, 01:26 PM
I've got really bad attendance at uni the past semester missing a lot of workshops / classes.

It's only because that some modules I've struggled in and others I've missed from sleeping in as I have a really bad sleeping pattern, where I'm awake at like 5AM,

What is everyone else's attendance?

Jurv
17-02-2014, 01:50 PM
nice

i used to have bad attendance at college last year bc i hated english lit
i'm not too bad this year think i'm on like 89% but that's through missing tutor

Kardan
17-02-2014, 02:16 PM
nice

i used to have bad attendance at college last year bc i hated english lit
i'm not too bad this year think i'm on like 89% but that's through missing tutor

89% is quite bad really, although tutor period is pretty much pointless, seems silly that it would have an impact on your attendance :P

As for the thread, I'm not entirely sure what you want us to say. Go to bed earlier? Trust me, you don't want to get into a habit of skipping Uni - it's been constantly proved that good attendance = good grades. So either go to lectures, or good luck for the endless cramming you'll do when exams come along.

Inseriousity.
17-02-2014, 02:31 PM
If you struggle in a module then it's not wise to skip it. Talk about digging yourself a hole!
I used to skip a module cos I already knew most of it from A Level Sociology so I still managed to do well in that but if you're struggling, you need to go talk to your lecturer and see if there's anything you can do to get rid of that mental block. You shouldn't just give up.

Jurv
17-02-2014, 02:33 PM
89% is quite bad really, although tutor period is pretty much pointless, seems silly that it would have an impact on your attendance :P

it's good considering what it was like last year haha

and yeah i agree, half the time the tutor doesn't show up either..

Yawn
17-02-2014, 03:16 PM
how can i be accused of not adding to the discussion when there is no discussion its a flippin diary entry

wow and my threads get moved to spam even when they promote active discussion this is so unfair yet his gets to stay this forum is bias and treats me disgustingly

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post offtopic.

Zak
17-02-2014, 03:19 PM
What's your attendance percentage? I'm surprised if it's really quite low it hasn't been picked up yet (then again it probably has - but no one has done anything about it) lol

Kyle
17-02-2014, 03:41 PM
judging by this thread, maybe u have narcolepsy? u appear to have fallen asleep even without finishing what you were going to say. go to a doctor about that.

Uni is about learning independently, DO NOT expect tutors to come running around after you and picking up your slack, they just won't. Take responsibility for your education, it's costing you a bloody bomb so might as well get your money worth. Time management and organisation are key skills to learn so ask tutors if there are any study skills workshops that can help you out.

If you're struggling then don't just put it off, ask about it. Ask tutors, peers, friends and family for their perspective. Do not go it alone, you are surrounded by people that are there to support you and want you to succeed so make use of them.

wixard
17-02-2014, 03:50 PM
kyle i'm listening to some tunez

https://soundcloud.com/dukedumont/duke-dumont-feat-jax-jones-i

and your avatar is dancing perfectly in sync

Kyle
17-02-2014, 04:07 PM
ive tested it, my av dances in sync to pretty much every single song

Kardan
17-02-2014, 04:45 PM
how can i be accused of not adding to the discussion when there is no discussion its a flippin diary entry

wow and my threads get moved to spam even when they promote active discussion this is so unfair yet his gets to stay this forum is bias and treats me disgustingly

I agree, so I've PM'ed Chris and we'll see I guess :P

ON TOPIC; MY ATTENDENCE IS PERFECT EVEN THOUGH YOU DIDN'T ASK ME WHAT MY ATTENDENCE WAS SO I'M PROBABLY STILL POSTING OFF TOPIC.

iBlueBox
17-02-2014, 07:54 PM
Oh lmao, forgot to add what is everyones else attendance was?

My uni isn't great with it though, they haven't even told me who my personal tutor was so I've had no idea who to contact

buttons
17-02-2014, 08:25 PM
must ask again, why pay thousands for an education, complain about the high costs, then don't turn up?

my attendance is very good, only off when im extremely ill or family issues. it's only a few hours a day lol there are people in m class who turn up every few weeks n i don't see why as they're learning overall 25% of what we need per module basically then only receiving a D or C if they pass.. but then iv seen some people online rarely go n still get decent grades.

Red
17-02-2014, 08:40 PM
I barely missed any. I hated missing them because you'd miss out and the lecture slides they put up were rubbish.

Shar
17-02-2014, 08:42 PM
I haven't missed a single lecture and I've only taken days off in placement when I had a bad infection but even then I had to make up the hours :(

Absently
17-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I always make sure to goto college, whenever I miss a day I feel like I've missed out on sooooo much and I hate it. Although ill be honest the past two weeks I've missed two days, but it's genuinely because I'm after getting bogged down with assignments all in the one go and taken the days out to do them.

Kardan
17-02-2014, 09:26 PM
My attendance isn't perfect, I'll miss out certain days if I have to travel 2+ hours to listen to someone talk for 50 minutes when I could have gotten the same information from the lecture notes that are already online.

But we have 21 hours of lectures and tutorials a week, so if you miss a lot, there's not a lot of time to catch up either, so it's worth going. Never had my attendance measured though, so I wouldn't be able to give you any numbers.

iBlueBox
17-02-2014, 09:29 PM
must ask again, why pay thousands for an education, complain about the high costs, then don't turn up?

my attendance is very good, only off when im extremely ill or family issues. it's only a few hours a day lol there are people in m class who turn up every few weeks n i don't see why as they're learning overall 25% of what we need per module basically then only receiving a D or C if they pass.. but then iv seen some people online rarely go n still get decent grades.

I still do the work all the time, and the reason I don't always turn up to a certain few lecturers are the ones who simply just read off a power point when I can do that in the comfort in my accommodation on my laptop.

dbgtz
17-02-2014, 10:49 PM
I still do the work all the time, and the reason I don't always turn up to a certain few lecturers are the ones who simply just read off a power point when I can do that in the comfort in my accommodation on my laptop.

this is also my logic

lectures can also be pretty bad for me in that it's just lines of code you'll have to go to the presentation slide for anyway so what's the point being there when they don't explain it well anyway

HarrySX
17-02-2014, 11:17 PM

Personally I'm paying £27,000 for a degree, not for freely available lecture material :P

As long as you know the material and do well in exams/coursework I don't see the issue. I rarely attend uni (have around 4% attendance) but I get good marks. As I say I'm paying tuition fees for my education to be written officially on paper (the degree), I couldn't care less for attendance.

Daltron
18-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Bad attendance is my middle name and I usually still get HD's. Typically only 10% of my final grade will be made up from my level of attendance and participation so it's not the end of the world.

Charz777
18-02-2014, 12:25 PM
Was there a question here... Or are you just telling us?

If you're worried; does your uni take attendance? Like scan your student card in on arrival or just a register? We have that so our attendance is important but I know a few unis who don't even check if you're turning up. So far I've missed 2 lectures in 5 weeks and not had anything mentioned regarding it.

Also, with the high cost of fees it's probably better for them to keep as many students as they can, especially with less people actually going to uni at all, and I've never actually known anyone be kicked out due to bad attendance. However, if poor attendance turns into poor grades, that's a different story...

Kyle
18-02-2014, 01:42 PM
attendance in the education system stands you in good stead for when you enter the 'real world' and can't just do your work from home. Get into habit of having something to live for i.e. the pursuit of knowledge and INTERACTION with those with same desires, you unsociable freaks. I've found a lot of differences based on type of degree, namely that technology based degrees are seemingly full of autodidacts and attendance is virtually pointless cos y'all can learn it all from your soggy bed anyways. Anybody here studied something of this description that actually goes/went to their lectures etc?

not only is attendance important for me in terms of getting me into right mindset to learn but oh my god the powerpoints/notes are skeletal compared to what we actually discuss and ideas can be easier to conceptualize when you have others to bounce off.

iBlueBox
18-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Was there a question here... Or are you just telling us?

If you're worried; does your uni take attendance? Like scan your student card in on arrival or just a register? We have that so our attendance is important but I know a few unis who don't even check if you're turning up. So far I've missed 2 lectures in 5 weeks and not had anything mentioned regarding it.

Also, with the high cost of fees it's probably better for them to keep as many students as they can, especially with less people actually going to uni at all, and I've never actually known anyone be kicked out due to bad attendance. However, if poor attendance turns into poor grades, that's a different story...

If you read the previous page I stated that I forgot to add what is everyones else attendance was?

---

Our university system for attendance is simply write your name on a sheet of paper.

Also, my course leader who mentioned my attendance decided to cancel his lecture today again :l he's done this 2 weeks in a row.

lemons
18-02-2014, 04:08 PM
maybe if you didn't spend so much time ******* over doctor who you would have perfect attendance

iBlueBox
18-02-2014, 08:33 PM
maybe if you didn't spend so much time ******* over doctor who you would have perfect attendance

hardly spend any time over that lmao, my attendance is bad probably due to late nights with friends.

buttons
18-02-2014, 08:35 PM
what do u study

Joshirin
18-02-2014, 09:12 PM
uni next year!!

but anyway, my attendance is around 85-90% this year (A2) but like **** it, I'm already on target for my grades, and some of the lessons are just pure crap and I've already done the work etc

- - - Updated - - -

hardly spend any time over that lmao, my attendance is bad probably due to late nights with friends.

well then that's stupid as ****

iBlueBox
18-02-2014, 10:28 PM
what do u study
Multimedia Technology.

uni next year!!

but anyway, my attendance is around 85-90% this year (A2) but like **** it, I'm already on target for my grades, and some of the lessons are just pure crap and I've already done the work etc

- - - Updated - - -

well then that's stupid as ****

Still getting the work done though.

my attendance at college was 98% lmao.

Joshirin
19-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Multimedia Technology.

Still getting the work done though.

my attendance at college was 98% lmao.

difference is I'm getting my grades, whereas it looks as if you're not, lmfao.

iBlueBox
19-02-2014, 05:24 PM
difference is I'm getting my grades, whereas it looks as if you're not, lmfao.

Never stated that I wasn't getting the grades? Struggled on one module yes, but failed? no. Still passed everything so far. I still do all the work...

steamyxo
20-02-2014, 07:10 PM

well seeing as you know what the problem is ..." late nights with friends." why dont you do something about it rather than complain and get all stressed..

Liva
21-02-2014, 07:18 AM
I tend to run away from class when they give me anxiety. :/ so it hasn't been good.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!