PDA

View Full Version : Apple's CarPlay puts iOS on your dashboard

xxMATTGxx
03-03-2014, 08:10 AM
As was rumored on Friday, Apple is today finally ready to launch a new iPhone integration setup for car infotainment systems. Calling it CarPlay, the Cupertino company claims it's "designed from the ground up to provide drivers with an incredible experience using their iPhone in the car." CarPlay is built primarily around the use of Siri voice commands and prompts, providing an "eyes-free" experience where you can respond to incoming calls, dictate text messages, or access your music library. Apple's Maps are also an integral part of the service, which was previewed back in June of last year.

Source:
http://mobile.theverge.com/2014/3/3/5465064/apple-carplay-puts-ios-on-your-dashboard

Apple Site:

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Thoughts?

Jaiisun
03-03-2014, 10:38 AM
This technology has been around for ages. As usual, though, Apple will prove you don't have to be first to be the best (or one of). By waiting, tweaks are made to other systems who will have released numerous flaky versions by the time Apple release their smoother edition!

Obviously as long as it is voice-based and all dictation (rather than a visual distraction... flappy bird on the dashboard may not be a great idea), then hey - why not?!

GommeInc
03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
It's a closed system that should not exist unless it is an optional feature and not forced on all drivers. The standard should be open to all systems (Android, iPhone, Windows Phone etc). Sync by Microsoft seems to work well enough in my car, so it doesn't really mean anything. It is just voice control, so anyone using Siri or any other voice control should know how to use this already, it dpends purely on the ecosystem you have bought into. If it goes further and beyond voice control then the point is lost to remove distractions if there is a shiny UI.

Brad
03-03-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm just surprised they didn't call it iCar. Haha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lRhyss
03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
*Waits for the "But cars have windows" joke*

o/t: No surprise that they're only releasing it on high end car models first. Although, it does look quite cool :)

Calum0812
03-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Looks interesting but not sure how much of a market this will have

xxMATTGxx
03-03-2014, 06:32 PM
It's a closed system that should not exist unless it is an optional feature and not forced on all drivers. The standard should be open to all systems (Android, iPhone, Windows Phone etc). Sync by Microsoft seems to work well enough in my car, so it doesn't really mean anything. It is just voice control, so anyone using Siri or any other voice control should know how to use this already, it dpends purely on the ecosystem you have bought into. If it goes further and beyond voice control then the point is lost to remove distractions if there is a shiny UI.

Surely if you want it then you go and buy a car that has it installed? :P

If you don't want it then I'm sure they could buy the same car without it installed or maybe has another option. Cars seem to have many different options in terms of what you want and what you don't want but that's normally down to the car manufacturer.

e5
03-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Sounds good. Will look awesome in the cars but shame it can't be bought to integrate into any car although I feel it wouldn't look great if it was

GommeInc
03-03-2014, 09:55 PM
Surely if you want it then you go and buy a car that has it installed? :P

If you don't want it then I'm sure they could buy the same car without it installed or maybe has another option. Cars seem to have many different options in terms of what you want and what you don't want but that's normally down to the car manufacturer.
It costs a lot in the manufacturing process to chuck around systems, especially ones which are of no use to a vast majority of users. This system will probably be phased out and have an incredibly short life-span. If it was open to other products other than iProducts then it may last, but to focus on a limited market would be a waste of time for many car manufacturers to have to install them especially for customers, which will take far too long to process and manufacture, and when you consider the vast majority of car companies mass produce their cars rather make them to order. It's easier to order a car already being made to order - Ford are reasonably decent at this as they use systems which aren't closed off - same for Mercedes and any main car company, really.

If Microsoft can update SYNC to be touchscreen and a bit more clever, then this system will be obsolete - SYNC works with most phones, and supports these exact same features this Apple product does (text-to-voice, voice-to-text etc) provided the phone is the latest version of Bluetooth, which is what all phones need to have to send text messages to Bluetooth devices if I recall correctly. In fact, last I checked SYNC in America is touchscreen so if that develops a bit more then it will easily trump CarPlay - which sounds like another name for dogging.

xxMATTGxx
03-03-2014, 10:30 PM
It costs a lot in the manufacturing process to chuck around systems, especially ones which are of no use to a vast majority of users. This system will probably be phased out and have an incredibly short life-span. If it was open to other products other than iProducts then it may last, but to focus on a limited market would be a waste of time for many car manufacturers to have to install them especially for customers, which will take far too long to process and manufacture, and when you consider the vast majority of car companies mass produce their cars rather make them to order. It's easier to order a car already being made to order - Ford are reasonably decent at this as they use systems which aren't closed off - same for Mercedes and any main car company, really.

If Microsoft can update SYNC to be touchscreen and a bit more clever, then this system will be obsolete - SYNC works with most phones, and supports these exact same features this Apple product does (text-to-voice, voice-to-text etc) provided the phone is the latest version of Bluetooth, which is what all phones need to have to send text messages to Bluetooth devices if I recall correctly. In fact, last I checked SYNC in America is touchscreen so if that develops a bit more then it will easily trump CarPlay - which sounds like another name for dogging.

It will be interesting to see how they offer this on the "select" cars that it will be on then. By the looks if it will be on certain cars with: Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

Then future models with: BMW Group, Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan, Opel, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota.

Big list in a way :P

Aiden
03-03-2014, 10:38 PM
I think it looks good! :D

GommeInc
03-03-2014, 10:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how they offer this on the "select" cars that it will be on then. By the looks if it will be on certain cars with: Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo.

Then future models with: BMW Group, Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, Land Rover, Mitsubishi Motors, Nissan, Opel, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota.

Big list in a way :P
Which would be ridiculous, seeing as the products the system supports are not in the majority, unless CarPlay can support others products and I've missed something :S These companies are going to have to radically change their manufacturing process, and in doing so will risk financial problems seeing as it was making too diverse a range of features that was what nearly killed some of them not so long ago - Ford particularly. That said, it may only really prove popular in the US where these systems already exist. MyFord Touch being one and whatever the Tesla Model S uses, and some Android variant that is doing the round are some examples. Also, aren't touchscreens considered against some EU Directives in cars? I'm fairly certain I saw that somewhere, which is why fewer buttons are appearing and voice control is becoming a bigger thing in the UK.

xxMATTGxx
03-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Which would be ridiculous, seeing as the products the system supports are not in the majority, unless CarPlay can support others products and I've missed something :S These companies are going to have to radically change their manufacturing process, and in doing so will risk financial problems seeing as it was making too diverse a range of features that was what nearly killed some of them not so long ago - Ford particularly. That said, it may only really prove popular in the US where these systems already exist. MyFord Touch being one and whatever the Tesla Model S uses, and some Android variant that is doing the round are some examples. Also, aren't touchscreens considered against some EU Directives in cars? I'm fairly certain I saw that somewhere, which is why fewer buttons are appearing and voice control is becoming a bigger thing in the UK.

Yeah I think it's more bigger in the US than in the UK itself.

Jack!
04-03-2014, 04:35 PM
I think most will offer it as an optional extra, bit like Opel/Vauxhall do now with the current Siri System they have.

Metric1
05-03-2014, 03:45 AM
I was really hoping there would be some sort of nav update for my BMW that would enable this at some point..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!