PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my PC

Disaronno
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Hi guys, im not too clued up on Upgrading my pc so i thought i'd ask for some help.

Now, i have Windows 7 (and i will not upgrade to 8 'cos i think it sucks) anyway, its 64 bit if that means anything.

Regardless, i got this PC for free so dont hate the specs.

http://i59.tinypic.com/11bhvf4.png

So right now, i have no budget as i will be doing this over time. So this means that i dont want to take anything out and or replace it which would mean my computer is unusable.

My Plan
I have 2 x 2gb ram in the pc with 2x slots still available, so i am thinking of getting either 4 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb.

I would like to upgrade the processor to either the i5 or i7 model, however i3 is a possibility.

The GFX card - dont know where to find specs for that but if you need to know please let me know how and i will post that as well, but i have no idea about that

Motherboard - Same as above.

It runs pretty quiet right now, so i think the fans system is OK, however as stated above i dont know enough to know if i would have to replace that as well as the power supply.

Eventually i would like to change the case as its a boring office one.

END GOAL
Turn this office based PC into a fast, capable gaming machine.

If you have suggestions or input please share it with me. I have tried crucialmemory but thats only for my RAM.

Thanks again, Roberto

Thread moved by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): From 'Console and Computer Gaming' as it is more suited here.

scottish
12-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Why do you need 32GB or 16GB?

You're going to have to upgrade everything, so save money and get a new computer imho.

Disaronno
12-03-2014, 10:32 PM
So you provided no help with that post.

scottish
12-03-2014, 11:03 PM
I offered you with a better/alternative solution to upgrading.

I also questioned why you wish to have 16 or 32GB of RAM which would most likely be a massive waste of money on your behalf which could be put towards the i5 instead of i3.

Disaronno
13-03-2014, 12:54 AM
How much ram would you suggest so that all of the games ill play actually run with no lag? And I want to upgrade it so that I actually know what to do for future upgrades so that I dont have to spend a small fortune to get the next best pc

Jack!
13-03-2014, 01:06 AM
4GB is fine for gaming, I'd personally go for 8GB of high speed ram instead of loads of slow stuff.

Chippiewill
13-03-2014, 06:30 PM
There's no use to upgrading a 6 year old computer, you'd be better of saving for a new one.

mrwoooooooo
13-03-2014, 06:36 PM
You won't be able to upgrade your cpu to i3, i4, i7 without upgrading your motherboard. So you may as well just get a new pc.

And windows 8 is fine. Stop being scared of changes

Stephen
14-03-2014, 12:44 AM
yeah you can't gradually upgrade an old pc just like that

the stuff you'll want won't be compatible with your current mobo and if you buy more ram for your current mobo then you'll need to buy different ram for your new mobo

Disaronno
15-03-2014, 11:53 AM
You won't be able to upgrade your cpu to i3, i4, i7 without upgrading your motherboard. So you may as well just get a new pc.

Not scared of changes.

peteyt
15-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Yeah I've just got a new pc built because mine was at least 7 years old. Sometimes it's better in the long run to buy a brand new one rather than adding to your current old one. As for RAM while technically the more the better 32 even probably 16 could be classed as overkill. 8gb will probably suit you.

My new specs if they help are:
Intel Core i7-4770K 3.50GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
Asus Z87-K Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
Corsair RM Series RM 650 '80+ Gold' 650W Power Supply (CP-9020054-UK)
TeamGroup Elite Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (TED38GM1600HC11DC01)
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST1000DM003)
HDD Galaxy Evo Gaming Case USB3.0 3x Red/Blue LED Switchable Fans

That cost me I think just over £500 but that's without a graphics card as I'm saving up for a 760 windforce 3x oc rev2 2048mb gddr5 pci-express graphics card black pcb which is about £200. The motherboard I have has onboard graphics which is no good really for high end games but will be fine for now.

Chippiewill
15-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Dude, why would you get the 4770k if you can't afford the card? Graphics card is ALWAYS the bottleneck these days.

Liva
17-03-2014, 08:45 AM

I've been using windows 8 for the last 3 months and I still hate it.

peteyt
20-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Dude, why would you get the 4770k if you can't afford the card? Graphics card is ALWAYS the bottleneck these days.

A graphics card is the least important for me right now. I wanted a PC that could do a lot of stuff I plan to do later on and one which I knew would last me. There's an onboard graphics card that will do me fine for now.

Chippiewill
20-03-2014, 08:16 PM
There are very few situations where you would go for a 4770k over the 4670k, the 4770k just gets you hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is pretty much only useful for video editing / CAD heavy stuff, which would be ok except those use cases are also incredibly graphics dependant. Integrated graphics is far, far away from being on par with dedicated. So in reality you effectively burned £100 on 0.1Ghz improvement in CPU clock speed which means absolutely jack **** in this day and age.

peteyt
20-03-2014, 10:31 PM
There are very few situations where you would go for a 4770k over the 4670k, the 4770k just gets you hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is pretty much only useful for video editing / CAD heavy stuff, which would be ok except those use cases are also incredibly graphics dependant. Integrated graphics is far, far away from being on par with dedicated. So in reality you effectively burned £100 on 0.1Ghz improvement in CPU clock speed which means absolutely jack **** in this day and age.

Video editing is one of the possible future uses for my new build but as it's a future thing I don't need the graphics card yet. It will be far easier though to buy a new graphics card rather than later on changing the cpu

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!