PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Beta Testers for Radio Panel

Mschumi
14-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Morning

Please excuse me if I am posting in an incorrect forum or breaking any rules. This is my first post. :)

I am looking for Beta testers to test a radio panel I have developed.

Its available for download from here (http://cipherpixel.net/c/download/), if you decide to download please PM me and I will give you my email address as I wish to receive any bug reports or improvements and suggestions from you.

Cheers,

Michael

Chippiewill
18-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Haven't actually tested anything, just flicked through the code. It's actually pretty good, much better than most of the code that turns up around here. Some general critique:

- Function and class naming is a little cryptic, an abbreviation or acronym may seem obvious to you but it does make the code much less readable, in the long run readability trumps speed to code. It's particularly helpful down the line when you have to understand your old code.
- Lots of documentation, which is great, just not phpDoc which is now the defacto standard
- Commenting on the other hand is a bit mixed, sometimes it's a bit.. redundent e.g.

//-------------------------------
// Setup vars object
//
$this->vars = new StdClass();
I'm not entirely convinced you needed a three line comment for a self-explanatory statement.
- MySQL prepared statements are god, do make use of them
- Minor niggle: Your html comments are slightly malformed, you're occasionally adding additional hyphens which is ok but certainly for the closing tag is technically off html specification and my IDE was not happy about it.

Probably the biggest complaint, and in many ways it isn't one, is a lot of it is reinventing the wheel. Whilst for a learning experience this is certainly commendable I would recommend to anyone looking at this to consider other, more reputable, more tested CMS. Directly to you I would say looking at developing on top of a framework would be a more sensible approach to the problem than doing everything yourself.

Mschumi
29-03-2014, 04:01 AM
Firstly, sorry as this will probably be considered a bump.

Thank you for the feedback Chippiewill. Your points are duly noted and appreciated.

I do not like building on frameworks as for me that's half the fun. When I make my own I also understand it 100%, which suits me. The obvious benefits are there though. I also intend to build a lot onto the framework. The DJ Panel was just to get me going.

I'm also aiming to document it thoroughly.

Ah the HTML comments, I'll be the first to admit my HTML and CSS is terrible. Will move to fix the comments haha.

I've never actually heard of prepared statements. Quickly looking over them, are you suggesting this for the installation?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!