PDA

View Full Version : How old is TOO old? How old is TOO young?

Chug!
20-03-2014, 09:39 PM
So, Scenario time.

You like someone. They are younger than you. How many years under your age is acceptable do you think? Say you're 17.. You like someone thats 16. That okay? You're 18.. You like someone thats 16. That okay?

How many years is OKAY for age difference.

You like someone. They are older than you. How many years over your age is okay?
Everyone is different, things like age may not bother them. Whats your view.
Say you're 16. You like someone who is 19. That okay? Say you're 18. You like someone who is 22. That okay?

Thoughts please :) It always amazes me how different people feel about age gaps and differences and all.
:)

IzzyUhh
20-03-2014, 09:50 PM
Do you mean like dating? lmao

Cos my parents are 4 years age difference and they met when my mum was 19
I Think thats cute idk why

wixard
20-03-2014, 09:50 PM
when i was aged 12-18 i'd never go over 2 years or under 1 year in the age difference, that was seen as a really really big deal.

i'm not a teenager anymore so it's not bad, i'd go probably like 4-5 years older and 3 years younger
i have gone younger than 3 years lol... but i would never for a relationship, 3 years is pushing it as it is

Chug!
20-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Do you mean like dating? lmao

Cos my parents are 4 years age difference and they met when my mum was 19
I Think thats cute idk why

Ye dating.
So, 4 years up or down in age?
+Rep for answering.

when i was aged 12-18 i'd never go over 2 years or under 1 year in the age difference, that was seen as a really really big deal.

i'm not a teenager anymore so it's not bad, i'd go probably like 4-5 years older and 3 years younger
i have gone younger than 3 years lol... but i would never for a relationship, 3 years is pushing it as it is

Hmm, Thats fair enough though. Being 18, I'd go above or below 2 years. Is age really an issue if you are 'in love' with someone though?

I've tried to +Rep but it won't let me :( I will when I can, thanks for answering:)

dbgtz
20-03-2014, 10:07 PM
(age/2) + 7

GoldenMerc
20-03-2014, 10:12 PM
I went 9 years older, was 19 dating 28 year old... worst mistake iv ever made

Chug!
20-03-2014, 10:15 PM
I went 9 years older, was 19 dating 28 year old... worst mistake iv ever made

why a mistake, if you don't mind me asking?

Like, was it just differences? more maturity?
don't have to be too graphic :)

IzzyUhh
20-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Well my mum was 19 & dad was 23 so :P
Above

Lewis
20-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Age difference for up to 18: 1-2 years

19 and above: 7 years

GoldenMerc
20-03-2014, 10:17 PM
why a mistake, if you don't mind me asking?

Like, was it just differences? more maturity?
don't have to be too graphic :)

She had a kid also which didn't help, You'd think she was more mature but she was prob more immature than me haha.
Just wouldn't do it :P

Chug!
20-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Well my mum was 19 & dad was 23 so :P
Above

Thankssss:)

Age difference for up to 18: 1-2 years

19 and above: 7 years

Fair enough, why 7 years? :)))

She had a kid also which didn't help, You'd think she was more mature but she was prob more immature than me haha.
Just wouldn't do it :P

ahh. fair enough, thats understandable haha. bet it was a little awkward too, for you. :)

Lewis
20-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Thankssss:)

Fair enough, why 7 years? :)))

ahh. fair enough, thats understandable haha. bet it was a little awkward too, for you. :)

Just seems like a maximum age that isn't too little or too much, in the middle! Obviously I wouldn't just say no or it's wrong to true love if it was a few years beyond my said limit :P (other than the up to 18s limit)

FlyingJesus
20-03-2014, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwhm-B6yNI

MKR&*42
20-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Guess as long as they're a teen and you're both not going to have sex i really cannot see the gigantic issue.

Although saying that, if I saw a 30 year old and a 13 yr old together id probably cringe a bit

but eh idrc

wixard
20-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Ye dating.
So, 4 years up or down in age?
+Rep for answering.

Hmm, Thats fair enough though. Being 18, I'd go above or below 2 years. Is age really an issue if you are 'in love' with someone though?

I've tried to +Rep but it won't let me :( I will when I can, thanks for answering:)

because even though 3 years doesn't seem like that much you are still both in extremely different transitions of life. say you were 25 and dating a 28 year old, the 28 year old would be more interested in settling down and starting a family when at 25 that's not usually something you'd want to consider. totally depends on the person of course, but even think of 30 and 27, it's just a big gap when it comes to different stages in life i think. i can handle the 3 year gap just about, but 4 or 5 years i just don't feel like you'd both be at the same stage. this doesn't apply to everyone obviously, some people don't have that problem but a lot do

Chug!
20-03-2014, 10:34 PM
because even though 3 years doesn't seem like that much you are still both in extremely different transitions of life. say you were 25 and dating a 28 year old, the 28 year old would be more interested in settling down and starting a family when at 25 that's not usually something you'd want to consider. totally depends on the person of course, but even think of 30 and 27, it's just a big gap when it comes to different stages in life i think. i can handle the 3 year gap just about, but 4 or 5 years i just don't feel like you'd both be at the same stage. this doesn't apply to everyone obviously, some people don't have that problem but a lot do

Yeah, I get that.

Different stages of life and different needs I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess as long as they're a teen and you're both not going to have sex i really cannot see the gigantic issue.

Although saying that, if I saw a 30 year old and a 13 yr old together id probably cringe a bit

but eh idrc

so it'd be ok for 19 to be with 13? you're saying? so, 6 year down?
theres no right or wrong obviously hahah - its intriguing :)

Absently
20-03-2014, 10:36 PM
i think like once you hit 18 and are mature enough you can really date whatever age above, maybe like 2/3 years below. honestly tho, it depends on your maturity.

Sharon
20-03-2014, 10:37 PM
I'm currently 15 and wouldn't go lower lol I don't really like the thought of it. Would speak to someone three years older but prob wouldn't go get with one so 2 years is currently the line for me

definitely subject to change when I get older

Cerys
20-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I'm 15 atm and wouldn't go any younger than 14, dunno why

I wouldn't go any older than 17 either (despite getting with an 18 y/o which was a biiiig mistake oops :l )

But yeah I think when I'm 18 it'll all change and being with a 26 y/o wouldn't even bother me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

MKR&*42
20-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I get that.

Different stages of life and different needs I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

so it'd be ok for 19 to be with 13? you're saying? so, 6 year down?
theres no right or wrong obviously hahah - its intriguing :)

As long as they don't try it on in the bedroom cant see a problem. I had no issue when the 22 year old and the 14 year old dated on here lolza

Chris
20-03-2014, 10:48 PM
For me it varies. My friend is currently 20 and is with someone who is 16, which to me thats a bit too young even though there is only 4 year gap. Now on the other hand I'm 20 and am with someone who is 24, which seems perfectly fine in comparison.

So to answer the question, I think once you hit a certain age it doesn't matter what the age gap is. My parents have a 10 year gap and that seems perfectly fine to me.

Blinger
21-03-2014, 12:45 AM
I'd agree with that person above, depends on the age. 18 to 17 is fine, 19 to 17 is pushing it imo and 20 to 17 is a no go. 18+ is any age, but be weary that if you're dating someone who is 35+ and you're only 18 it'll look weird and people may think you're a gold digger (if you're a girl)

Rachel
21-03-2014, 01:59 AM
Well they say the older age you go for, the more mature they are. Well I normally would date 3 - 4 years older then me or 2 years younger then me not more. As when you are older, you want to plan your future like having kids, house etc but when they are younger they are less likely to be willing to do this. But when they are older they tend to be willing to make a family and have a house etc..

Matt
21-03-2014, 08:14 AM
This girl i know has just turned 17 and is dating a 25 year old who's in Uni. Idk I find that a bit weird seeing as shes still in school and he's like nearly finished Uni. I'm not sure how far I'd go in terms of age difference.

Glen Coco
21-03-2014, 09:24 AM
currently in a 5 year age difference.
wouldn't go any more than that and wouldn't date anyone younger than me

Chug!
21-03-2014, 09:29 AM
For me it varies. My friend is currently 20 and is with someone who is 16, which to me thats a bit too young even though there is only 4 year gap. Now on the other hand I'm 20 and am with someone who is 24, which seems perfectly fine in comparison.

So to answer the question, I think once you hit a certain age it doesn't matter what the age gap is. My parents have a 10 year gap and that seems perfectly fine to me.

So 18+ anything. Basically.

I'd agree with that person above, depends on the age. 18 to 17 is fine, 19 to 17 is pushing it imo and 20 to 17 is a no go. 18+ is any age, but be weary that if you're dating someone who is 35+ and you're only 18 it'll look weird and people may think you're a gold digger (if you're a girl)

But it's still only 3 years? Or is it because 18 is seen as 'adult' :)

Well they say the older age you go for, the more mature they are. Well I normally would date 3 - 4 years older then me or 2 years younger then me not more. As when you are older, you want to plan your future like having kids, house etc but when they are younger they are less likely to be willing to do this. But when they are older they tend to be willing to make a family and have a house etc..

Thanks for commenting :) +rep when I can

This girl i know has just turned 17 and is dating a 25 year old who's in Uni. Idk I find that a bit weird seeing as shes still in school and he's like nearly finished Uni. I'm not sure how far I'd go in terms of age difference.

17-25 seems quite extreme. When I was 16 I was with someone who was 19 at uni though. I didn't find that weird. Some do. Maybe it's circumstance or just how you are with someone.

Is age really such an issue? Unless it's like 13-35 then :////

currently in a 5 year age difference.
wouldn't go any more than that and wouldn't date anyone younger than me

5 year older than you? Fair enough:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shar
21-03-2014, 09:55 AM
My parents have a 10 year age difference which is fine for them as a couple.

Matt
21-03-2014, 09:59 AM
13 - 35 then yes lmao. I only find it weird because I'm at school and a majority of people go out with people their age, or the year above/below them with the odd person going out with someone who's at Uni. But in the 'real world' theres some age differences that I don't think anything of because they aren't at school and aren't in any year at school. Idk lmao probably just me that thinks that but yeah, that's how I see it ;l Like if a year 12 came out and said they were dating a year 8 (which is only 4 years difference) everyone would be like what the hell but once you've left school, 4 years isn't that huge. I guess what others have said about being too young and stuff is true. Once you leave school you're more matured anyway so age doesn't matter unless its something drastic.

No idea if any of that made sense lmao but yeah, age doesn't matter that much IMO.

Chug!
21-03-2014, 10:23 AM
13 - 35 then yes lmao. I only find it weird because I'm at school and a majority of people go out with people their age, or the year above/below them with the odd person going out with someone who's at Uni. But in the 'real world' theres some age differences that I don't think anything of because they aren't at school and aren't in any year at school. Idk lmao probably just me that thinks that but yeah, that's how I see it ;l Like if a year 12 came out and said they were dating a year 8 (which is only 4 years difference) everyone would be like what the hell but once you've left school, 4 years isn't that huge. I guess what others have said about being too young and stuff is true. Once you leave school you're more matured anyway so age doesn't matter unless its something drastic.

No idea if any of that made sense lmao but yeah, age doesn't matter that much IMO.

This is how I feel tbh. A year 12 with a year 8 is a little weird, definitely because of being what, 13 at the time..

I wouldn't actually see an issue with a year 12 being with a year 10/11 though. (17 year old with a 15/16 year old.

It's great seeing how other people think though:)

+Rep when I can!

Yawn
21-03-2014, 12:16 PM
once ur above 19 i think go as old as u want but its a obv a bit weird when we're getting like 30+ cos 19 is still rly quite young

i'd say 16 and 18 is ok but even then at 18 u could be 1st year uni and 16 may not have even finished gcses and that is weird imo.
i feel like u do so much growing up and learning in the difference between those ages, ppl change and mature sooo much

Empired
21-03-2014, 01:01 PM
The older you get, the less the difference matters. When I was 13, anyone over/under 1 year difference way just unheard of. Now I'm not so bothered but I still couldn't go past a year 3 difference. When I'm in my 40s or so, I think 10 years will be my limit :P

Kyle
25-03-2014, 04:13 AM
for anything physical then boundaries obviously need to be set cos of laws and all that but I don't think it's right to regard people as deviant or weird if they just share a platonic relationship with someone a lot younger than them.

for a full on relationship for me, no younger than 18 and no older than like mid twenties. so -2 or +5-6

Charz777
25-03-2014, 10:59 AM
It depends how old the person is.

If you are say 25, then dating someone four years younger or older is acceptable. A 21 and 25 year old is okay, so is a 25 and 28 year old. My parents have 3 years between them.

But if you're talking high school dating. It's not cool for a 16 year old to go out with a 12 year old. Or an 18 year old to go out with a 14 year old. Personally, I don't think it's okay for a 20 year old to be with a 16 year old either (even though I know a 21 year old guy with a 17 year old girlfriend...) But I think mixing teens with twenties is probably the most argued about when it comes to what's okay and what's not.

I'd say for anyone 30 or over, anything within 10 years is fine. My aunt was 9 years younger than her ex-husband and they were great at the time, they were both very young at heart.

Personally, and I'm 20. I wouldn't date anyone younger than myself, I don't know why but I just think that's gross. Even if a guy is 19 I still view them as a kid simply because they're younger than me, or probably because they are still technically a teen. I guess that view will change when I'm a few years older :P I don't know how much older I'd go. I mean some people age differently. You can have 30 year olds who look better than people in their twenties, so I don't know.

Dating isn't really an issue in my life as I'm already happy and settled down, so it's not something I have to worry about :P

geo
26-03-2014, 11:42 AM
my parents age gap is like 15 yrs i think lmao, but i find it weird at times like oh god. but their (very different) levels of maturity i wouldn't always put down to age with them, i often think it's for other reasons. but yeah i just find it weird how my dad is so old and like getting to grandpa age, and yet my mums still kinda youngish (well not really anymore)

i'm 16 (17 this july) & i wouldn't date younger than that. but i'd date 2-3 yrs older tops at the moment. when i'm 17, i'd probably be able to date a 16. and when i'm 19/20, i feel my age gap would change. probably wouldn't date somebody much younger, but the 2-3yrs older would likely increase.

Aiden
26-03-2014, 11:52 AM
At 15:

No younger than 14 and no older than 17 :)

Derrener
26-03-2014, 03:46 PM
my parents age gap is only 4-5 years :P

at 17 - no older than 19. no younger than 16

Special
26-03-2014, 03:51 PM
it doesn't as long as you're both happy

The Don
26-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I'm 20 and personally wouldn't go younger than 17.

e5
26-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Half your age + 7 years is the rule. This usually works for when you're around 21+ though :) Although when you're older it's irrelevant!

lawrawrrr
26-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Depends how old you are, the younger you are I'd say a smaller age gap is the only appropriate one.

I'm currently 20 and wouldn't date anyone younger than 18. Older, I don't really mind, probably not in their 30s or above though.

Amberr
02-04-2014, 08:22 PM
It depends how young you are really. Whilst at school I would always think going for someone who was more than 2 years older/2 years younger was wrong. Now I'm nearly 20 I would say for me personally the maximum I would go for is about 4 years older, i dont think I could go for more than 2 years younger though, that might change when I'm older I guess. I think I prefer going for someone who is a similar age though.

-Moniquee.
03-04-2014, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't go younger than me because in my opinion thats awks. I would go up to 5 years older max atm.

Zak
03-04-2014, 03:08 PM
18 and older,
26 and under

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!