PDA

View Full Version : International court says so called 'scientific' whaling must end

-Moniquee.
31-03-2014, 11:19 AM
In 2010 the Rudd Government in Australia launched a case to the International Court of Justice to cease Japanese whaling in the Southern Ocean (Antarctic region). Today, the court ruled that whaling in the region must cease.

I am so happy with this decision. Having watched many graphic documentaries on this, it makes me so angry at the world to see these poor animals tortured.

I am hoping that the next move will be to stop whaling in the North Pacific or to stop the cruel dolphin hunting in Japan.

More info live here http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/31/does-japans-research-whaling-help-conserve-whales
or here
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale-watch/international-court-of-justice-upholds-australias-bid-to-ban-japanese-whaling-in-antarctica-20140331-35ude.html

Yawn
31-03-2014, 11:35 AM
it is a start

-:Undertaker:-
31-03-2014, 12:08 PM
The ICC is a joke and has no juristiction on the sovereign nation of Japan because it's so called 'laws' are unenforceable. The ICC can declare whatever it wants, and it's not worth the paper it's written on much like the UN: something that i'm very much happy about.

As long as Japan doesn't deplete the whale stocks, then I haven't a problem with whaling.

-Moniquee.
31-03-2014, 12:31 PM
The ICC is a joke and has no juristiction on the sovereign nation of Japan because it's so called 'laws' are unenforceable. The ICC can declare whatever it wants, and it's not worth the paper it's written on much like the UN: something that i'm very much happy about.

As long as Japan doesn't deplete the whale stocks, then I haven't a problem with whaling.

Don't understand how the International Court for Justice is a joke? It is a branch of the UN and I think it is very effective in what it does.

31-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Don't understand how the International Court for Justice is a joke? It is a branch of the UN and I think it is very effective in what it does.

Because like the United Nations, it cannot enforce it's own rules unless a member state of the ICC decides to enforce that rule: something which under international law then becomes a breach of national sovereignty and can most likely lead to war. All this ruling does in reality is puts pressure on Japan........ but nobody can actually stop Japan in whaling apart from Japan itself as Japan is sovereign. Ultimate power over legislation and the rule of law in Japan is with the Emperor and the Japanese Diet (parliament), not with the ICC or Australia/Kevin Rudd.

And i'm glad about that. If the Japanese wish to whale, then that is up to them and not up to soppy westerners watching YouTube videos.

-Moniquee.
31-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Because like the United Nations, it cannot enforce it's own rules unless a member state of the ICC decides to enforce that rule: something which under international law then becomes a breach of national sovereignty and can most likely lead to war. All this ruling does in reality is puts pressure on Japan........ but nobody can actually stop Japan in whaling apart from Japan itself as Japan is sovereign. Ultimate power over legislation and the rule of law in Japan is with the Emperor and the Japanese Diet (parliament), not with the ICC or Australia/Kevin Rudd.

And i'm glad about that. If the Japanese wish to whale, then that is up to them and not up to soppy westerners watching YouTube videos.

If you look at the history of the ICJ you will see that it has effective cases especially in conservation and environmental sustainability. May I also add that Japanese officials in Tokyo announced that they would abide by the decision and would not push for it to be rethought.

Also, many of the Japanese whalers are personally against it - they do it because it gives them large sums of money. It is extremely common for it to be a family tradition and the new generations are fighting against it.

Upon visiting Japan in 2010, I learnt that most Japanese don't even like to consume whale meat and they are even against whaling. Some of these whales are inspected and taken to commercial aquariums where they will live in dirty small ponds which only allows them to swim up and down.

This whaling season they didn't get to capture many whales due to activists (Sea Shepherd) interfering. But previous whaling seasons they have killed well above their quota which kills and destroys large ecosystems.

31-03-2014, 01:35 PM
If you look at the history of the ICJ you will see that it has effective cases especially in conservation and environmental sustainability.

Usually when there is a consensus among nations. In that, it's not really a court - just a talking shop like the UN. An echo chamber.

May I also add that Japanese officials in Tokyo announced that they would abide by the decision and would not push for it to be rethought.

But they'll be unlikely to enforce it.

It's one thing 'accepting' a judgement just to look good on the international stage, it's another to actually want to implement it.

Also, many of the Japanese whalers are personally against it - they do it because it gives them large sums of money. It is extremely common for it to be a family tradition and the new generations are fighting against it.

Upon visiting Japan in 2010, I learnt that most Japanese don't even like to consume whale meat and they are even against whaling. Some of these whales are inspected and taken to commercial aquariums where they will live in dirty small ponds which only allows them to swim up and down.

This whaling season they didn't get to capture many whales due to activists (Sea Shepherd) interfering. But previous whaling seasons they have killed well above their quota which kills and destroys large ecosystems.

This is again western naivity on wildlife. We see the same with the baby seals in Canada, polar bears and Elephants and other creatures in Africa. You have to understand that in different parts of the world, creatures which seem exotic and very interesting to us in the west are not regarded in the same way by those areas because in many cases they're part of the traditional menu or they pose a danger to locals (as Elephants do in Africa). Cows are worthless to us in the west, yet in India they're regarded as an amazing creature over there. The same for parrots in South America and Africa: we think they are interesting creatures over here, where as over there they are literally the African/South American version of the pigeon.

It's one thing for pressuring Japan to stick to whale quotas - something I would agree with as it makes sense to preserve the species - it's another trying to meddle in Japanese affairs and stop whaling altogether. I could provide you with many videos on cow slaughter with sad violin music playing in the background: would you then call for us to stop farming cows? Of course not.

Western values on food, the family, justice, marriage - anything - are not universal. That's my basic point.

GommeInc
31-03-2014, 07:01 PM
It's not enforceable - just persuasive. Countries only tend to follow international law because they feel they ought to because they either put the effort into creating it (UK, US etc), joining in the first place or they feel obliged to show the international community they care. The ICJ is pretty useless - the real decision comes from the individuals nations that decide to go with the ICJ decision. So if Japan does end it's cruel and barbaric whaling practices, it wouldn't be the ICJ (which is persuasive) per se, but the Court or the Government in Japan which decides to end it. If the ICJ had some power, Japanese Officials would either be heavily fined or imprisoned, but no such action exists. It's just to scream in their ears a little :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!