PDA

View Full Version : Ebac?

Cerys
31-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Ok so after guidance from my counsellor person I've decided not to take English lit and yeah there's been loads of discussion between me and teachers about it saying if I don't take lit I don't get lang either it's been insane

but today we got an email from the head basically saying
'If you don't take the English Lit exam, you will still get Eng Lang, but not the full ebac certificate.'

So I'm wondering is ebac even important as I've always been told it's not, no universities ask for it afaik, I've already got into college etc

So is not getting the full ebac gonna hold me back in anyway??

+rep to any fab answers :3

*if you say lit makes you look good etc,idc, im asking about the ebac not that xD

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Kardan
31-03-2014, 05:03 PM
From what I understand, it's not even a qualification, just a performance measure, although that's 'Ebacc'

The 'Ebac' certificates are essentially the replacement to GCSEs - but those exams are first being held in 2017, so I'm confused really.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 05:04 PM
From what I understand, it's not even a qualification, just a performance measure.

Ok so is it basically just to make my school look good?

Mm makes me love my school even more then usual...:l

Kardan
31-03-2014, 05:06 PM
Ok so is it basically just to make my school look good?

Mm makes me love my school even more then usual...:l

Pretty much, from what I understand the 'Ebacc' is just the percentage of pupils with at least one English GCSE.

Kyle
31-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I thought the ebac was abolished tbh, another of Gove's flop ideas. If you're already in college and it isn't a rquirement for your new course then can't see it being important for university considering they will ask for lvl 3 qualifications.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 05:17 PM
So it doesn't even make a difference to me pretty much then
Fab

Okay thankyouu :3

The Don
31-03-2014, 05:31 PM
I would heavily advise getting a full English GCSE/equivalent. Most universities require both English and Maths GCSE at above grade C.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 05:46 PM
I would heavily advise getting a full English GCSE/equivalent. Most universities require both English and Maths GCSE at above grade C.

Afaik I did have a full English gcse until they changed it and entered me for English lang and lit

So I should still have that English gcse I think? Idek
What so the fact that I would only have lang on its own means they won't even acknowledge that I have a gcse in the English area?

This is why I hate my school, they do what's best for them and not their pupils..

Kardan
31-03-2014, 05:52 PM
Afaik I did have a full English gcse until they changed it and entered me for English lang and lit

So I should still have that English gcse I think? Idek
What so the fact that I would only have lang on its own means they won't even acknowledge that I have a gcse in the English area?

This is why I hate my school, they do what's best for them and not their pupils..

Most people get 2 English GCSEs, English Language GCSE and English Literature GCSE.

When Unis ask for an English GCSE, in nearly all cases, they require an English Language GCSE.

You should be fine I think.

lemons
31-03-2014, 05:53 PM
EBACC IS USELESS AND JUST MAKES SCHOOLS LOOK BETTER ON LEAGUE TABLES

BUT I DO THINK YOU SHOULD TRY DO LANG AND LIT :d

Cerys
31-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Most people get 2 English GCSEs, English Language GCSE and English Literature GCSE.

When Unis ask for an English GCSE, in nearly all cases, they require an English Language GCSE.

You should be fine I think.

Okay hopefully it should be fine :S thanks :))

(main reason I'm not doing it Is that we started lit at Christmas so we've had like 5 months to do a 2/3year course...)

Kardan
31-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Okay hopefully it should be fine :S thanks :))

(main reason I'm not doing it Is that we started lit at Christmas so we've had like 5 months to do a 2/3year course...)

Well, I'm pretty sure most people do English Lang one year and English Lit another year. They're certainly not 3 year courses, and it's not really good if you do it over the 2 years (means you'll have all English exams at the same time), so it's better to do the GCSE over a single year. I did this, and I'm pretty sure most schools in the country do this.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure most people do English Lang one year and English Lit another year. They're certainly not 3 year courses, and it's not really good if you do it over the 2 years (means you'll have all English exams at the same time), so it's better to do the GCSE over a single year. I did this, and I'm pretty sure most schools in the country do this.

Ah ok not 3 years then

But still,5 months. It's ridiculous, especially when you have 17 exams imo it's too stressful already never mind having lit exams which no ones in no way prepared for

Kardan
31-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Ah ok not 3 years then

But still,5 months. It's ridiculous, especially when you have 17 exams imo it's too stressful already never mind having lit exams which no ones in no way prepared for

Any GCSE grade is better than no GCSE grade.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Any GCSE grade is better than no GCSE grade.

I'd rather not get that gcse, looks better than getting a D or something
That's in my opinion anyways;3

lemons
31-03-2014, 06:32 PM
bless your heart cerys i thought your school was really smart and made you do everything from year 9

i have 3 english gcse (lang, lit and igcse lang!)

Kardan
31-03-2014, 06:34 PM
I'd rather not get that gcse, looks better than getting a D or something
That's in my opinion anyways;3

I dunno, if you get a D, it's another GCSE. If you don't take it, it means you're on the same level as people that get a U.

But as long as you reckon you'll get the C in English Language, you should be fine.

Cerys
31-03-2014, 06:37 PM
I dunno, if you get a D, it's another GCSE. If you don't take it, it means you're on the same level as people that get a U.

But as long as you reckon you'll get the C in English Language, you should be fine.
Hmm fair point
I've already got the English language one, got a B
Im hoping you're right about It being fine, would be awful if I couldn't get a decent future because of all this damn haha

Cerys
31-03-2014, 06:39 PM
bless your heart cerys i thought your school was really smart and made you do everything from year 9

i have 3 english gcse (lang, lit and igcse lang!)

Yeah we do all the core stuff from year 9 except lit :((
I actually hate my school, all they care about is how they look on ofsted reports etc

Kardan
31-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Hmm fair point
I've already got the English language one, got a B
Im hoping you're right about It being fine, would be awful if I couldn't get a decent future because of all this damn haha

That's why personally I'd take the GCSE - just in case. And what would the be the difference between not taking the exam, and simply not revising for the exam but taking it anyway?

Cerys
31-03-2014, 06:43 PM
That's why personally I'd take the GCSE - just in case. And what would the be the difference between not taking the exam, and simply not revising for the exam but taking it anyway?

Because it's just the stress of the exam, even if I don't care about how I come out of it. Sitting in that exam hall is just torture for me

And also I could be revising for more important stuff - e.g maths, I need a B in it for college so if I don't do well in that then my whole future is thrown off course
So yeah mainly stress and the fact I have more important stuff to focus on is why im not doing it

The Don
31-03-2014, 07:11 PM
Because it's just the stress of the exam, even if I don't care about how I come out of it. Sitting in that exam hall is just torture for me

And also I could be revising for more important stuff - e.g maths, I need a B in it for college so if I don't do well in that then my whole future is thrown off course
So yeah mainly stress and the fact I have more important stuff to focus on is why im not doing it

You may as well take it either way. Better to get a grade (even a low one) than not have it at all. Could you not sit the foundation exam instead?

Cerys
31-03-2014, 07:14 PM
You may as well take it either way. Better to get a grade (even a low one) than not have it at all. Could you not sit the foundation exam instead?

Yeah but I've even been advised not to
+ afaik my schools not entering anyone for the foundation so probably not

The Don
31-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Yeah but I've even been advised not to
+ afaik my schools not entering anyone for the foundation so probably not

Fair enough! If you know what you want to do after school and can get into your required a-levels/btec/degree (if you want to go to uni that is) without it then there's no point taking it. I'm sure your teachers know more about your situation and if they've advised you not to do it then who am I to disagree?

Cerys
31-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Fair enough! If you know what you want to do after school and can get into your required a-levels/btec/degree (if you want to go to uni that is) without it then there's no point taking it. I'm sure your teachers know more about your situation and if they've advised not to do it then who am I to disagree?

Yeah I'm wanting to do law or forensic science and neither have specified that I need it

Oh it's not the teachers who has advised me, it's my counsellor person :p

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!