PDA

View Full Version : Waterloo Road to end next year

Jordan
02-04-2014, 08:19 AM
http://i2.cdnds.net/14/09/618x412/soaps-waterloo-road-tommy-lawrence-knight-abby-mavers.jpg

Statement made by BBC:

Series 10 of #WaterlooRoad will be the final series. We're incredibly proud of the show but believe it has reached the end of its lifecycle. We still have a further 20 episodes to look forward to before #WaterlooRoad finishes in 2015, and we'll be sending the show out on a high.

The BBC has announced that the tenth series of Waterloo Road will be its last.

Announcing the news on Twitter, the broadcaster said it was "incredibly proud of the show".

"Series 10 of #WaterlooRoad will be the final series. We're incredibly proud of the show but believe it has reached the end of its lifecycle.

"We still have a further 20 episodes to look forward to before #WaterlooRoad finishes in 2015, and we'll be sending the show out on a high."

A new drama is expected to fill Waterloo Road's 8pm slot when the series bows out.

The secondary school television drama - produced Shed Media - first appeared on BBC One in March 2006 and has won several awards over its eight year history, including the Most Popular Drama award in the 2012 National Television Awards and Most Popular Drama Series at the 2013 Inside Soap awards.

In 2011, the series was controversially relocated from Rochdale to Scotland, which some cast members criticised at the time.

The show has also been successfully exported across the globe to countries including Spain, Australia and Estonia.

BBC One Controller Charlotte Moore and BBC Drama Controller Ben Stephenson said: "We are incredibly proud of Waterloo Road, and would like to thank Shed Productions and all the cast and teams involved across the ten series.

"However, we believe it has reached the end of its lifecycle and won't be returning after series 10 finishes in 2015. On BBC One it's important to make room for new drama and we are committed to commissioning new drama series for 8pm. There are some really exciting ideas currently in development but nothing to confirm yet."

BBC Scotland's Head of Programmes Donalda MacKinnon added: "When we originally committed to making 50 hours of Waterloo Road in Greenock we did so for a number of reasons which included boosting drama production skills here in Scotland, as well as improving training and development opportunities for the future.

"We were very pleased to significantly increase our commitment to 70 hours recently and that was partly thanks to the efforts of the Greenock community who helped make the move happen so smoothly and who made cast and crew so welcome.

It's always sad when any long-running show comes to an end and I know the Waterloo Road team will miss Greenock - as will fans of the show.

"Our firm aim now, however, is to use that to continue growing the TV and the wider creative sector here in Scotland utilising the increased skill base arising from Waterloo Road to build up future home-grown culturally representative output."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s24/waterloo-road/news/a561796/waterloo-road-to-end-after-10-series

I can't believe its finishing!!

wixard
02-04-2014, 08:21 AM
nooooooooooooooo

with this ending I am well and truly an adult

lemons
02-04-2014, 08:23 AM
can't say i'm surprised because it lost its touch in recent years

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s24/waterloo-road/news/a561796/waterloo-road-to-end-after-10-series.html#~oAgwf9KDeYBPVD

xxMATTGxx
02-04-2014, 11:47 AM
That's a great shame indeed :(

dbgtz
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
I feel like it kind of picked up more in the most recent series, especially in comparison to the Mrs "can't go an episode without mentioning Becs" Fisher "era". However, a move like this was inevitable and I really am looking forward to how they handle the final episode and hopefully they reminisce on older episodes somehow.

Martin
02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

One of my favourite shows ever omg, watched it since the very first episode :'(

Chris; WHAT ARE WE GOING TO WATCH NOW :'(

Red
02-04-2014, 12:05 PM
my sis will be heartbroken. we watched it since s1.
hope whatever replaces it is good.

Jurv
02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
BOUT TIME stopped watching it after the first couple series, it' went downhill so much

thms
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
nooooooooooooooo

with this ending I am well and truly an adult

old bat

and awww nOoooo

Chris
02-04-2014, 04:24 PM
I read this morning and prayed it was a late april fools joke :( I'm going to miss it, but I will definitely go back to the start to watch it all over again.

Cerinacy$
02-04-2014, 05:21 PM
I stopped watching it when Christine became head teacher so I think that was a series or two back? It's been going for far too long now in my eyes and the story lines are just repeating themselves..

GommeInc
02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
It died when Budgen died. It was bad enough when Clarkson was killed off, but Budgen was the final nail in the coffin - for me at least.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
I feel like it kind of picked up more in the most recent series, especially in comparison to the Mrs "can't go an episode without mentioning Becs" Fisher "era". However, a move like this was inevitable and I really am looking forward to how they handle the final episode and hopefully they reminisce on older episodes somehow.

True it was good yes

Though I really liked the 2Bex Fisher" era and thought this was one of the best but I guess that is because it had an "overlap" from the original Donte/Mika era to the later crowd too I sense!

dbgtz
03-04-2014, 08:40 PM
True it was good yes

Though I really liked the 2Bex Fisher" era and thought this was one of the best but I guess that is because it had an "overlap" from the original Donte/Mika era to the later crowd too I sense!

Fair enough. I was always a fan of Rachel's series'.

Good ol' Waterloo Road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iw96oWFl0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnuBYZa_EEk

One thing Waterloo Road never did well (if I remember correctly) was post death. They'd be forgotten in a week or two.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I suppose it is nearly the same era dbgtz. Was'nt Rachel just before or just after Bex and the Fisher clan?

The best WR Characters where

1) Bolton Smiley
2) Lewis Seddon
3) Paul Langley
4) earl Kelly
5) Bex Fisher
6) Kyle? (played by George Samson)!

Alkaz
03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
NOOOOO! There is literally no point to Wednesdays now :l

UnrealGoffEmo
03-04-2014, 09:16 PM
I so so wish my School is like Waterloo Rd! Bolton wearing White Trakkies that looked Grey and
making them pass as School Trousers! How ace. What memories lol

dbgtz
03-04-2014, 09:20 PM
I suppose it is nearly the same era dbgtz. Was'nt Rachel just before or just after Bex and the Fisher clan?

The best WR Characters where

1) Bolton Smiley
2) Lewis Seddon
3) Paul Langley
4) earl Kelly
5) Bex Fisher
6) Kyle? (played by George Samson)!

She was before.

In terms of pupils, Bolton easily tops I agree.

UnrealGoffEmo
03-04-2014, 09:21 PM
She was before.

In terms of pupils, Bolton easily tops I agree.

Only just to Lewis I think though!

:odey:
03-04-2014, 10:18 PM
I hope they go out with a dramatic ending and not a sad one though.

They should bring that lesbian headmistress back. She was by far one of my favourite characters.

Samantha.
04-04-2014, 10:50 AM
I stopped watching it when Budgen died! It was slowly going downhill so probably a good thing that they're stopping it before they kill it.

dbgtz
04-04-2014, 11:32 AM
To be honest it's actually been OK since he's been gone.

I really need to re-watch the series I have yet to see again.

Also what happened to Kyle Stack in the end? Or did he just never reappear again?

Mark
04-04-2014, 11:37 AM
can't say i'm surprised because it lost its touch in recent years

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s24/waterloo-road/news/a561796/waterloo-road-to-end-after-10-series.html#~oAgwf9KDeYBPVD

This! The writers have been crap ever since they moved north. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been losing viewers and the BBC are axing it to save money.

UnrealGoffEmo
04-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I hope they go out with a dramatic ending and not a sad one though.

They should bring that lesbian headmistress back. She was by far one of my favourite characters.

Rachel Mason yeah ... Rachel was brilliant (as was all those from around the Rachel Mason/Bex Fisher crossover era) The only decent two characters these day's are Kevin and Darren I think!

myles
04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
i couldnt stand it, it was awfully cheesy

Chris
04-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Waterloo Road building to be knocked down following show cancellation

The setting for BBC's Waterloo Road, the former Greenock Academy building in Renfrewshire, Scotland, is to be demolished.

The show's cancellation, announced earlier this week (April 2), has led to the green light for the 160-year-old school site to be re-purposed and sold off by the council for redevelopment.

Not surprising but a shame nonetheless.

davecool656
05-04-2014, 12:48 PM
Sad that it will be ending :(

dbgtz
05-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Is the first half of series 10 this year?

Chris
05-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Is the first half of series 10 this year?

Yeah it's later this year. I guess the second half will be at the start of next year.

xxMATTGxx
05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
This! The writers have been crap ever since they moved north. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been losing viewers and the BBC are axing it to save money.

If we go by this then the viewers really hasn't changed that much across the years:

http://mattgarner.net/uploads/2014-04-05_16-29-32.png

Inseriousity.
05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
I enjoy it. I don't really watch it for intelligent writing, brilliant acting and realistic storylines. It's just a nice bit of escapism so will be sad to see it go. One less thing to watch now!

UnrealGoffEmo
05-04-2014, 06:43 PM
I enjoy it. I don't really watch it for intelligent writing, brilliant acting and realistic storylines. It's just a nice bit of escapism so will be sad to see it go. One less thing to watch now!

Same here mate ... and wishing School really was like Waterloo Rd hey!!

TheDoctor.
09-04-2014, 11:15 AM
The BBC are throwing away all the teenagers favorite tv shows away I swear! Like they axed BBC three and now they're axing waterloo road. And yet they are worried about people not paying the tv licence?! Seriously, what's their logic? I cant take it.. them little daleks!

UnrealGoffEmo
13-04-2014, 06:52 PM
The BBC are throwing away all the teenagers favorite tv shows away I swear! Like they axed BBC three and now they're axing waterloo road. And yet they are worried about people not paying the tv licence?! Seriously, what's their logic? I cant take it.. them little daleks!

Totally agree bro

What else of (genuine interest - Drama/Comedy-wise) is left I often start to think/wonder!!!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!