PDA

View Full Version : New Argentina bank note features Britain's Falklands Islands

-:Undertaker:-
03-04-2014, 04:41 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2595900/New-Argentina-bank-note-features-map-Falklands-folk-hero-Antonio-Rivero.html

Argentina bringing out new bank note that features map of the Falklands and folk hero who led uprising against the British

- The 50 peso note will be legal currency in six months and worth £3.75
- On one side it features Argentinian folk hero Antonio Rivero
- Rivero, known as 'the Gaucho' led a bloody uprising against the British

Argentina is planning on instituting a new banknote with a map of the Falkland Islands, and a folk hero who led a bloody uprising in the long-disputed territory, in a move that may enrage the British.

Argentinian president Cristina Kirchner announced the move to mark the 32nd anniversary of the Falklands War with Britain, which cost the lives of nearly 1,000 soldiers.

The 50 peso note will be legal currency in the next year, and will be worth around £3.75.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/03/article-0-02E4C8A300000514-199_634x414.jpg

The note will carry the image of the archipelago on one side, and on the other side there will be an image of controversial figure Antonio Rivero, a cowboy who led an uprising against the British in August 1833.

The vigilante, nicknamed the Gaucho, went unpunished at the time because a court system had not been established.

Eventually, due to never being prosecuted, he was revered as a hero in Argentina.

President Kirchner has previously pledged an 'eternal fight' for the Falklands, and was described as pleased with the creation of the new banknote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGxsLbK9F0A

An eternal fight? Bring it on you losers.

I'm not a fan of war, but the Falklands was probably our best and only just war in the post-WWII era...... a terrific victory of British seapower over a third world tinpot country that claims the Falklands on no other grounds than 'its nearby' - that'd be like Britain claiming ownership of the Netherlands or Brittany in France.

More sabre rattling though from a country that is in serious economic trouble. Standard.

Thoughts?

dbgtz
03-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Annoying there's no decent picture of it.

Either way, I find it amusing more than anything else. Are they essentially trying to provoke the "higher ups" into taking some sort of action against Argentina so they look like the innocent in all of this? If so, I imagine it isn't working and they're just laughing.

Chippiewill
03-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Brittany in France.

I think Britain has a greater stake there, at least the name's kind of similar.

-:Undertaker:-
03-04-2014, 04:52 PM
I think Britain has a greater stake there, at least the name's kind of similar.

And we used to own Brittany too, which is more than can be said for Argentina. :P

GommeInc
04-04-2014, 12:10 AM
She's a hateful woman. The sooner she is removed the better. Argentina will continue to be seen as a spiteful, hateful nation with her at the helm.

The Don
04-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Ridiculous. I saw on reddit the other day an argentinian children's cartoon about the falklands, that had the british as the bad guys, with an RAF pilot laughing and rubbing his hands together. Of course, history was completely changed to tell the story, but whose surprised when it's such blatant propaganda.

dbgtz
04-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Ridiculous. I saw on reddit the other day an argentinian children's cartoon about the falklands, that had the british as the bad guys, with an RAF pilot laughing and rubbing his hands together. Of course, history was completely changed to tell the story, but whose surprised when it's such blatant propaganda.

lmao i saw that too
i loved it in a "lmao what idiots" kind of way
when they punched the ghurka (sp) too that was just hilarious nobody ***** with a ghurka

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!