PDA

View Full Version : Intolerant & bigoted gay lobby force Mozilla chief to step down

-:Undertaker:-
06-04-2014, 01:39 AM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/digital-media/10743456/Mozilla-chief-Brendan-Eich-steps-down-over-gay-marriage-row.html

Mozilla chief Brendan Eich steps down over gay marriage row

Brendan Eich made a donation to oppose the legalisation of gay marriage in California

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02871/mozilla_2871988b.jpg

Mozilla chief executive Brendan Eich has stepped down after an online dating service urged a boycott of the company's web browser because of a donation he made to opponents of gay marriage.

The software company came under fire for appointing Mr Eich as CEO last month. In 2008, he gave money to oppose the legalisation of gay marriage in California, a thorny issue at a company that boasts about its policy of inclusiveness and diversity.

"We didn't act like you'd expect Mozilla to act," wrote Mozilla executive chairwoman Mitchell Baker in a blog post. "We didn't move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy started. We're sorry."

The next step for Mozilla's leadership "is still being discussed", she added, with more information to come next week.

While gay activists applauded the move, many in the technology community lamented the departure of Mr Eich, who invented the programming language Javascript and co-founded Mozilla.

"Brendan Eich is a good friend of 20 years, and has made a profound contribution to the Web and to the entire world," venture capitalist Marc Andreessen tweeted.

Mr Eich donated $1,000 in 2008 in support of California's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in the state until it was struck down by the Supreme Court in June.

His resignation came days after OkCupid.com, the popular online dating site, called for a boycott of Mozilla Firefox to protest the world's second-largest web browser naming a gay marriage opponent as chief executive.

On Monday, OkCupid sent a message to visitors who accessed the website through Firefox, suggesting they use browsers such as Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Google's Chrome.

"Mozilla's new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples," the message said. "We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid."

A long career ruined all because some intolerant morons can't stand dissenting opinions.

Expect to see more persecution coming from the gay lobby, it's started with gay couples taking Christian B&B owners to court along with Christian wedding cake suppliers and next it will be the Churches (not the Mosques of course) that will be taken to the ECHR for denying gay 'marriage' on their premises. Yes, from a vocal minority that so vocally preaches tolerance, love and all that 1960s ******** - they sure know how to show it. Interesting though that conservatives in the US and UK are being urged to boycott Mozilla: i'm very tempted.

As my Dad says to me, when they go on about 'tolerance' it's not what you think it means. Tolerance is a one-way street.

Thoughts?

FlyingJesus
06-04-2014, 01:46 AM
Ahahaha refusing to engage with a private company for reasons to do with their moral standpoint is bullying from the gay lobby, but in the very same post you mention people refusing to engage with customers for reasons to do with their moral standpoint as heroes of tolerance. Beautiful

06-04-2014, 01:56 AM
Ahahaha refusing to engage with a private company for reasons to do with their moral standpoint is bullying from the gay lobby, but in the very same post you mention people refusing to engage with customers for reasons to do with their moral standpoint as heroes of tolerance. Beautiful

Not at all. They are entitled to boycott the company, but I find it very strange that you would boycott one company simply because one chief of the company had donated to pro-traditional marriage campaigns, don't you? This was an organised attack designed to push a man out of his job purely for his political and moral beliefs and it does the SSM campaign no favours - especially in America.

Their intent is to scare anybody in the public eye in future from donating money or supporting causes that they don't like - and they're not doing this battle via debate or through the ballot box, they're doing it in a campaign of fear and persecution: rather like the campaign homosexuals themselves faced back in the 1940s and 1950s. How ironic, you could say.

sexpot
06-04-2014, 01:59 AM
I find that people who preach tolerance and acceptance are often some of the most intolerant people out there.

FlyingJesus
06-04-2014, 02:11 AM
I find it very strange that you would boycott one company simply because one chief of the company had donated to pro-traditional marriage campaigns, don't you?

No :S why would it be weird to boycott supporters of things you don't like

06-04-2014, 02:14 AM
No :S why would it be weird to boycott supporters of things you don't like

Because..

a) Mozilla Firefox has nothing to do with SSM.
b) The Mozilla chief is just one man in a huge company.
c) It's not company money he's donating, it's his own personal salary.
d) Many companies will have supporters of traditional marriage working for them... so boycott everything?

They just saw an easy target and decided to go for it. That's all this is. A gaggle of nasty bullies.

FlyingJesus
06-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Do you not understand what a CEO is or something

karter
06-04-2014, 04:10 AM
Mr Eich donated $1,000 in 2008 in support of California's Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in the state until it was struck down by the Supreme Court in June.

lmfao the dude is literally campaigning against gay marriage this is not a matter of dissenting opinion

The Don
06-04-2014, 04:58 AM
He has the right to donate money to whoever he wants, and people also have the right to boycott whoever they want. I don't see how boycotting something due to personal beliefs is in anyway wrong.

karter
06-04-2014, 05:02 AM
i didnt mean he has no right to donate his money but when you're so passionate about opposing something you also gotta face the consequences especially if you're at such a high post in a company

xxMATTGxx
06-04-2014, 08:15 AM
The staff inside the company at Mozilla weren't happy with the chosen CEO so in the end it was always going to end like this unfortunately for him.

The Don
06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
i didnt mean he has no right to donate his money but when you're so passionate about opposing something you also gotta face the consequences especially if you're at such a high post in a company

Sorry I should've quoted dan, none of my post was aimed at you.

GommeInc
06-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Basic free market principles. This is a perfect example of it and if people boycotted then they did so with their own volition and not through being forced by that service. Besides, Mozilla base themselves on openness and freedom, they even supported gay rights so these revelations were completely contradictory to their fundamental beliefs so it was only a matter of time before this would happen. He shouldn't build a company on a philosophy not just for the internet but in society and then contradict. He was only going to be burned in the end for it.

Inseriousity.
06-04-2014, 11:43 AM
I think Matt's right, I doubt this was really anything to do with the boycott and more internal office politics. People threaten boycotts all the time (recent Amazon, Google, Starbucks) but their CEOs are still in place.

06-04-2014, 12:39 PM
I agree with you all on the free market principle (being the biggest advocate of the free market on here I naturally agree).

What I am getting at is the fact that people seem to have no problem - if not agree with this man losing his job - whereas I wonder what would have been the reaction on this forum had the public boycotted a large company for hiring a gay CEO which resulted in him losing his job?

For some reason I think the reaction would have been different.

FlyingJesus
06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Prob because someone being gay isn't an attempt at infringing on anyone else

GommeInc
06-04-2014, 05:14 PM
I agree with you all on the free market principle (being the biggest advocate of the free market on here I naturally agree).

What I am getting at is the fact that people seem to have no problem - if not agree with this man losing his job - whereas I wonder what would have been the reaction on this forum had the public boycotted a large company for hiring a gay CEO which resulted in him losing his job?

For some reason I think the reaction would have been different.
I'm leaning towards it not being because the remarks he made but because inside Mozilla no one wanted him there - this was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I recall him being a difficult one to work with so getting id of him was probably done far too late to make it look like he was homophobic when really it was because he was intolerable in general. But you know, the media will just go with the recent events and not look at the history behind someone :P

karter
06-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Homosexuality vs Homophobia
lovely comparison literally what the **** are you thinking

peteyt
06-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Basic free market principles. This is a perfect example of it and if people boycotted then they did so with their own volition and not through being forced by that service. Besides, Mozilla base themselves on openness and freedom, they even supported gay rights so these revelations were completely contradictory to their fundamental beliefs so it was only a matter of time before this would happen. He shouldn't build a company on a philosophy not just for the internet but in society and then contradict. He was only going to be burned in the end for it.

Exactly. Mozilla was always about freedom - at the end of the day if he doesn't believe in gay marriage I don't care but its a bit different when your going out your way to prevent it. I don't understand transexualls and find it wrong but I wouldn't go and try and change it because it doesn't affect my day and if it makes them happy fair enough. Same with gay marriage - I don't understand why people are so against it - like the vicar on Googlebox said - if two men love each other in this day and age why should we be able to tell them no and if your going to take the bible serious to the word does that mean we'd have to bring back stoning

09-04-2014, 02:54 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/08/okcupid-co-founder-apologizes-for-donations-to-anti-gay-marriage-congressman/

A co-founder of OkCupid, the matchmaking website that helped topple a tech CEO for a political donation against gay marriage, has apologized for his own contributions to an anti-gay marriage congressman.

HAHAHAHAHA. Love it.

GommeInc
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/08/okcupid-co-founder-apologizes-for-donations-to-anti-gay-marriage-congressman/

HAHAHAHAHA. Love it.
Did I read that right? Even the OKCupid CEO was/is against it? He's worse than the Mozilla Chief...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!