PDA

View Full Version : 'Dear Mr Gove'

Calum0812
08-04-2014, 06:07 PM
Written and read on the video by a poet - thoughts on the views expressed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJ8RA3QF0EU

Kyle
08-04-2014, 06:10 PM
Guessing this is a Dan black et al inspired "open letter" type poem. Do you have a transcription of the video I can read? :(

~~from phone

Calum0812
08-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Guessing this is a Dan black et al inspired "open letter" type poem. Do you have a transcription of the video I can read? :(

~~from phone
I can't find one and it'd take me ages to transcribe 6 minutes of quick-pased poetry :(

e5
08-04-2014, 07:16 PM
That's not as good as the guy that did one, but still powerful

Kyle
08-04-2014, 08:36 PM
I meant dan bull (mandlesson, lily allen, etc), no idea why I said dan black.

It's certainly an evocative and poignant piece and much of it rings true. teachers are overworked and underpaid in a system with so many flaws that's it's difficult to even begin considering where to start fixing it. she has a real talent for spoken word poetry, love it.

ARTPOP
08-04-2014, 09:06 PM
Aww love this

-:Undertaker:-
08-04-2014, 09:45 PM
I meant dan bull (mandlesson, lily allen, etc), no idea why I said dan black.

It's certainly an evocative and poignant piece and much of it rings true. teachers are overworked and underpaid in a system with so many flaws that's it's difficult to even begin considering where to start fixing it. she has a real talent for spoken word poetry, love it.

Teachers and public sector workers have had it much better than the private sector have over the past few years - not only that, but as needed as some public sector jobs are, the public sector isn't the sector which pays the bills: it's the private sector that pays the bills.

I am so sick of hearing teachers on fairly good wages compared to other groups (as well as having great holidays) complaining and harking back to the 1970s or 1950s as though they're on the same level of desperation as mine workers or the poverty stricken working classes were. Indeed, it's a problem many in the Labour Party of today have - they are part of the well off middle class or bourgeois yet you'd think - listening to their language and rhetoric - that they were inner-city dock workers in 1920s' Liverpool. It's laughable.

What she says is just generic anti-Tory rubbish: what's the actual difference between a Tory Government and a Labour one?

Kyle
08-04-2014, 10:07 PM
Teachers and public sector workers have had it much better than the private sector have over the past few years - not only that, but as needed as some public sector jobs are, the public sector isn't the sector which pays the bills: it's the private sector that pays the bills.

I am so sick of hearing teachers on fairly good wages compared to other groups (as well as having great holidays) complaining and harking back to the 1970s or 1950s as though they're on the same level of desperation as mine workers or the poverty stricken working classes were. Indeed, it's a problem many in the Labour Party of today have - they are part of the well off middle class or bourgeois yet you'd think - listening to their language and rhetoric - that they were inner-city dock workers in 1920s' Liverpool. It's laughable.

What she says is just generic anti-Tory rubbish: what's the actual difference between a Tory Government and a Labour one?
what she is saying isn't just anti-tory, it is anti-gove and against the way that he's treating the education system and its workers. It's a poem about her own thoughts and feelings and her own experiences. the fact that it has had such an overwhelming response suggests that what she is saying is resonating with other teachers and students too.

myles
08-04-2014, 10:16 PM
this is actually ****

- - - Updated - - -

i heard better stuff

-:Undertaker:-
08-04-2014, 10:59 PM
what she is saying isn't just anti-tory, it is anti-gove and against the way that he's treating the education system and its workers. It's a poem about her own thoughts and feelings and her own experiences. the fact that it has had such an overwhelming response suggests that what she is saying is resonating with other teachers and students too.

If you listen to it again it rants on about the 1980s - so it is a anti-Tory rant.

Either way, i'm not a fan of Gove but I am happy that he's pissing off all the militant Unions and teachers in the education sector.

Derrener
12-04-2014, 11:01 AM
watched this in one of my classes the other day. i still liked it even tho i had no idea what she was on about

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!