PDA

View Full Version : Knuckle Cracking

Forest-Law
07-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Up until about....erm.....a few years ago, I always thought that cracking my knuckles would cause me arthiritus later in life. :o :o I ***** my joints all the time. In fact, one time I managed to do the tune to Power Rangers using the sounds my joints cracking make. I'm talking ankles, fingers, neck, elbow, kneess etc. I can even ***** my wrist on demand. :rolleyes: It relieves all the tension in my fingers. :eusa_shif

So, I was happy to read this article a few weeks ago.

You've all heard the story that cracking your knuckles will cause arthritis. Maybe your mom can't stand that "popping" noise and that's why she tells you knuckle cracking will damage your finger joints.

The Real Deal on Cracking Your Kuckles.
What's really happening when you "*****" your knuckles is that you are either pushing the joint back into or out of its normal position. Joints are the meeting points of two separate bones which are held together by connecting tissues and ligaments. A thick, clear lubricant (made mostly of carbon dioxide and some nitrogen) called synovial fluid is found between the bones. When you stretch or pull your finger to get that desired popping noise, you are causing the bones to pull apart. Pressure is reduced on the synovial fluid and bubbles form that quickly expand and then burst - which is why you get that noise.

Does Knuckle Cracking Lead to Arthritis?
Not everybody's joints *****. Some people have a larger separation between the bones and some people can't relax enough to allow the bones to separate. If you can ***** and your mom tells you, you're going to get arthritis, she's just yanking your chain. There is no scientific evidence that cracking your knuckles leads to arthritis. However, it can't be good to repeatedly push a joint beyond its normal physical range. Besides that, it's annoying. Cracking your knuckles can cause a decrease in your grip but unless you're signing any multi-million dollar contracts as a pitcher, it's not worth giving up. But it's still annoying.

edit: ***** = c.rack :rolleyes:

zak-x
07-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Nice fined =]

I used to ***** my fingers and toes :p i don't do it any more

!.x6x.Fliss.x9x.!
07-09-2005, 07:26 PM
I can click loads of joints :)

Yazamiinx
07-09-2005, 07:27 PM
I've been clicking my fingers, toes, and elbows for 5 years now *No joke* :/ Its really .. obessesive

Rachi
07-09-2005, 07:29 PM
K u mite fink im rele weird but i can click my neck, back, fingers, n toes x]

BlueTails
07-09-2005, 07:33 PM
;opooooooooo

Rachi
07-09-2005, 07:35 PM
LOL i can tho :P

Eamonn
07-09-2005, 09:25 PM
I cant click anything it only happens rarely by accident xD

MakeBelieve..
08-09-2005, 02:28 AM
clicking alot was so ADDICTING ;oo but i quit

Tommeh
08-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I can't stop clicking my fingers. :P It's a habit now. :)

Jashmine
08-09-2005, 07:08 AM
I cant click anything it only happens rarely by accident xD

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!