PDA

View Full Version : Senior Conservative, David Davis MP: 'Get ready to quit the EU now'

-:Undertaker:-
09-04-2014, 12:47 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597945/Get-ready-quit-EU-Davis-tells-Tories-tears-Cameron-predicts-UKIP-triumph-Euro-elections.html

Get ready to quit the EU now, Davis tells the Tories as he tears into Cameron and predicts UKIP will triumph at Euro elections

- Former Tory chairman David Davis urged Government to open talks with Brussels about Britain quitting the EU
- Davis, who challenged Cameron for leadership in 2005, said PM has made a mess of winning back powers from the EU
- He said quitting the EU would be a 'revolution' and would spur jobs
- The senior politician could be positioning himself for another leadership bid should UKIP embarrass the Conservatives in next month's Euro elections

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/06/article-0-01DC9CBF000004B0-175_306x423.jpg
David Davis said quitting the EU would be a 'revolution' and would spur growth

The Tory revolt over Europe took a dramatic turn last night after senior Conservative David Davis called on the Government to open talks with Brussels on quitting the EU.

Former Tory chairman Mr Davis tore into David Cameron, accusing him of making a mess of his pledge to win back powers from the EU.

‘Scaremongers’ who said Britain would collapse if it decided to go it alone were talking nonsense, said Mr Davis. Quitting the EU would be like a ‘revolution’ and would boost UK jobs, wages, world power, arts and prestige, he added.

Significantly, his intervention comes days after two televised political debates in which anti-EU leader of UKIP, Nigel Farage, crushed pro-EU Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

And it will spark claims that Mr Davis is turning himself into a Tory version of Mr Farage, ready to exploit the leadership crisis Mr Cameron would face if UKIP makes big gains in next month’s Euro elections.

Mr Davis, who was beaten by Mr Cameron in the 2005 party leadership contest and who is a former Minister for Europe, writes in today’s Mail on Sunday: ‘Exit from Europe is not something to be afraid of. Some of the greatest growth spurts in history have occurred after revolutions: this would be a revolution of expectations and ambition.’

Britain should quit the EU or force Brussels to make massive concessions, he says.

Mr Cameron’s refusal to threaten to leave if he did not win back key powers in renegotiations before an ‘in / out’ referendum was a big error, he says.

Former SAS reservist Mr Davis predicts that Mr Farage will win the Euro elections, humiliating the Conservatives.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/06/article-0-1CDA763100000578-35_634x402.jpg
Davis accused Prime Minister David Cameron of making a mess of his pledge to win back powers from the EU

His comments fly in the face of Mr Cameron’s order to Euro rebels not to rock the boat in the run-up to the May elections.

A Tory MP ally of the Prime Minister claimed last night: ‘Davis is trying to use Farage to reheat his leadership ambitions. He won’t get anywhere.’

But a Eurosceptic Conservative MP said: ‘Davis is saying what many of us think but are too scared to say – for now. It will be different if we get thrashed by UKIP. We will all be singing the same tune as Davis.’

Could this be the start of a potential Conservative leadership challenge? I wonder what Davis is up to. In any case he would have my support, he's one of my favourite MPs as he takes a strong line on the EU and on Civil Liberties.

The most recent poll (TNS) for the European Elections is out this morning, Ukip have been closing the gap on Labour -

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bkx4ajbCAAAtBk2.png

Thoughts? Have you given consideration who you are going to vote for this May?

GommeInc
09-04-2014, 01:39 PM
So Cameron, Johnson and Davis all vying for control of the Conservatives? This'll be interesting :P Johnson may deny he wants it, but the electorate want him and know he wants it.

-:Undertaker:-
10-04-2014, 11:18 PM
So Cameron, Johnson and Davis all vying for control of the Conservatives? This'll be interesting :P Johnson may deny he wants it, but the electorate want him and know he wants it.

Even with Boris at the helm they'll struggle to win a majority... i'm sure the last poll on a hypothetical Boris Tory Party and Labour had the Tories only 1% ahead in the polls when they need to be 6% at the very least just to break even.

Still, the Tory membership will never learn that it's not the personality it's the pro-EU/pro-mass immigration/pro-comprehensiveness that's killing them.

GommeInc
12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Even with Boris at the helm they'll struggle to win a majority... i'm sure the last poll on a hypothetical Boris Tory Party and Labour had the Tories only 1% ahead in the polls when they need to be 6% at the very least just to break even.

Still, the Tory membership will never learn that it's not the personality it's the pro-EU/pro-mass immigration/pro-comprehensiveness that's killing them.
Agreed, the Tory party doesn't seem to have much of an idea of what it wants. It understands it needs to be less pro-EU, but does what parties naturally but ridiculously do and that's try to apply to all the masses, when voters are stupid not by their own fault, but because they're not informed. There are loads of benefits to leaving the EU that they're ignoring, yet there are obvious benefits too.

To save face they could just do what would happen if we left the EU and talk about what an independent UK would do and that's set up trade agreements, allow for immigration to a certain extent and so forth, even Farage acknowledges this. Talking to my friends at Uni, all from around the EU and elsewhere (Norway, Vietnam, America, China, HK), they think us leaving the EU would mean they couldn't learn here, when the EU isn't what allows non-EU citizens to study here in the first place - we've always allowed it :P There's the possibility, which I hope any smart future Government would do, to still allow foreign students to learn here. We have far too many Uni spaces to fill with just British students so the competition with other countries would be good, especially when many of our universities are high ranking and we could probably assist them financially, which again we already do. We could set a bar at the same height as currently with the EU.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!