PDA

View Full Version : Take part in The Big Mental Health Project 2014

efq
10-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I am looking for hundreds more people to take part of a new campaign I am launching.

http://www.standupstaystrong.com/images/bigproject.png

The campaign only launched last week has already been published into one newspaper and said to go into many more. As well as receiving attention from some national newspapers this evening. So you could be part of a huge thing.

A local newspaper article: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/SLIDESHOW-People-with-mental-health-conditions-post-pictures-of-themselves-on-Twitter-to-combat-stigma-20140410060501.htm

What to do:
Take a picture of yourself holding up a message with the name or names of the mental illness you suffer from or have suffered from in the past, or someone who's close to you who is suffering or has suffered from in the past.
You do not need to include your face in the photo.

You can send the picture to me via private message or via DM on Twitter @SamCarvalho or if you don't mind you can post it here or tweet it to me again at the same Twitter handle.

The video will be released in July and if you are to feature in any newspaper or anything done by the media, I will contact you asking for your permission first.

scottish
10-04-2014, 05:45 PM
Have you done that skydive you constantly spoke about last year out of curiosity?

GoldenMerc
10-04-2014, 05:51 PM
Looks good, Well done on getting it in newspapers already. Big achievement

Stephen
10-04-2014, 06:09 PM
cant stand mental health on paper ****

hate it when people make them youtube videos telling their stories with different bits of paper to some depressing music

lemons
10-04-2014, 06:11 PM
cant stand mental health on paper ****

hate it when people make them youtube videos telling their stories with different bits of paper to some depressing music

UGH THE PAPER VIDEOS SO ******* ANNOYING and sad

good luck with this......................

dbgtz
10-04-2014, 06:33 PM
So what's the actual point in this apart from getting yourself some good face? Serious question.

Jurv
10-04-2014, 06:53 PM
uh no thank you

i'd rather do something worthwhile

(that doesn't include you getting all the attention)

Kyle
10-04-2014, 06:55 PM
cringey as hell but gl with it. lol.

myles
10-04-2014, 07:05 PM
sorry but why would you broadcast to everyone ur mental illness
just attention seeking tbh

Kyle
10-04-2014, 07:12 PM
sorry but why would you broadcast to everyone ur mental illness
just attention seeking tbh
that's the entire point you big noob. mental health NEEDS more attention.

myles
10-04-2014, 07:34 PM
ATTENTION SEEKIGN FOR THE WRONG REASONJS U NOOB/SURFER GUIY

lemons
10-04-2014, 07:45 PM
good cause

http://i.imgur.com/YBoukMi.png

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly.

geo
10-04-2014, 08:17 PM
i don't like this project at all

like ???? i see your intentions with trying to remove stigma but a small project just isn't going to do that. and a video with a montage of people holding up *insert mental illness here* with a freaking love heart or happy face near it won't do much. like i can't see what it'll do???

and having serious illnesses with the a love heart near them is just kinda annoying. like i know you mean well but all i'm getting from your project is: IT'S OK TO HAVE AN ILLNESS!!!! BLA BLA!! NO MORE STIGMA! ITS NORMAL!!!! IT'S COMMON! !!!!!

point being i think you're glorifying it or helping glorify (is this even the right word god damn my english sucks !) and not going the right way about it. so.... your project is going to show that lots of people have mental illnesses?? what else? like.... where do people go from there. people don't need a video of young teens holding up their illness to know that people are affected by it, all people need to do is a little bit of research to find statistics etc which would be much more representative. your project.... just seems kinda... pointless. and i'm sorry if this is harsh because i'm sure you mean well, but i don't get what people are gonna get out of your project, it just does something good for your reputation.

PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE WITH MENTAL ILLNESSES ETC AND WHAT TO DO WHEN THEY KNOW SOMEONE HAS A MENTAL ILLNESS NOT THAT SOMEBODY HAS A MENTAL ILLNESS. and your project (so far) doesn't seem to do a single thing about that ok sorry

myles
10-04-2014, 08:21 PM
i agree this just seems alittle too out there i think mental illnesses should be tackled privately, i certainly would want everyone knowing what illness i have spread across the internet

most of the images will be of undiagnosed teenagers who are just going through a hard time with their parents

Cerys
10-04-2014, 09:18 PM
Maybe it was a mistake to post this on hxf as they're all a bit..yeah xD

As you know I support you in this, think it's a fab idea woo :3

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

geo
10-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe it was a mistake to post this on hxf as they're all a bit..yeah xD

As you know I support you in this, think it's a fab idea woo :3

"they're all a bit..yeah" what do you mean? what good comes out of this project other than showing that MAINLY young teen girls have mental illnesses? what next... what about the bit that matters?

Cerys
10-04-2014, 09:29 PM
"they're all a bit..yeah" what do you mean? what good comes out of this project other than showing that MAINLY young teen girls have mental illnesses? what next... what about the bit that matters?

It just raises awareness. More people will be aware of how many people actually are suffering.

David
10-04-2014, 09:30 PM
It just raises awareness. More people will be aware of how many people actually are suffering.

or how many people think they're suffering because they're self diagnosed idiots

lemons
10-04-2014, 09:31 PM
most of the images will be of undiagnosed teenagers who are just going through a hard time with their parents

this! "my bf dumped me........now im suffering from depression and type 2 diabetes!"

geo
10-04-2014, 09:33 PM

but THEN WHAT???????????? < THE ACTUAL IMPORTANT BIT

like i get it. awareness is the first step but THAT'S THERE. mental health stigma is slowly getting better.

you know what it raises? sam c's reputation.

i don't see how getting a few hundred (if that) names on a paper actually does anything. like there's so many organisations and things actually raising awareness. if anything it's gonna reinforce that negative stigma people have as it's clear there's negative views on the videos with emotional music of MAINLY teenage girls holding up a note.

if u want to raise awareness u must show it affects everyone and a project like this isn't gonna do much at all, and won't achieve anything that hasn't been done before. you gotta show the hole spectrum, show it GETS EVERYONE. like i mean everyone. because at the moment (and this isn't sams fault) it's mainly his teenage girl following lol

Kardan
10-04-2014, 09:35 PM
Surely by advertising on teenage forums and Twitter etc, you're not really going to get a wide range of demographics?

Evanora
10-04-2014, 09:36 PM
im sam carvalho and i suffer from compulsive lying disorder

geo
10-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Surely by advertising on teenage forums and Twitter etc, you're not really going to get a wide range of demographics?

ok you're a king for putting what i wanted to say into words, with the MAINLY TEENAGE GIRL thing and the spectrum. thank you king kardan of habboxforum facts

Cerys
10-04-2014, 09:37 PM
but THEN WHAT???????????? < THE ACTUAL IMPORTANT BIT

like i get it. awareness is the first step but THAT'S THERE. mental health stigma is slowly getting better.

you know what it raises? sam c's reputation.

i don't see how getting a few hundred (if that) names on a paper actually does anything. like there's so many organisations and things actually raising awareness. if anything it's gonna reinforce that negative stigma people have as it's clear there's negative views on the videos with emotional music of MAINLY teenage girls holding up a note.

if u want to raise awareness u must show it affects everyone and a project like this isn't gonna do much at all, and won't achieve anything that hasn't been done before. you gotta show the hole spectrum, show it GETS EVERYONE. like i mean everyone. because at the moment (and this isn't sams fault) it's mainly his teenage girl following lol

The awareness is already working and the video hasn't even been made yet - if it wasn't for the video we wouldn't be discussing it now xD

Yes I agree it doesn't really do much else but honestly, what can one person do. Atleast sams trying his best and doing something which I can assume none of us have done before.

lemons
10-04-2014, 09:37 PM
im sam carvalho and i suffer from compulsive lying disorder

holy moly! LMAO

on topic..........good cause.

myles
10-04-2014, 09:38 PM
sam just wants more twitter followers what a sicko

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post offtopic.

lemons
10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
i remember when he said all tory supporters should be shot haha

that's a lot of people if we go by the last election

http://th08.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2010/127/9/1/UK_Election_Result_Map_2010_by_BlamedThande.png

geo
10-04-2014, 09:40 PM
The awareness is already working and the video hasn't even been made yet - if it wasn't for the video we wouldn't be discussing it now xD

Yes I agree it doesn't really do much else but honestly, what can one person do. Atleast sams trying his best and doing something which I can assume none of us have done before.

.................a video montage of people with mental illnesses isn't hard to achieve. hell i could make one in a few days.

what would be more helpful would be statistics etc of mental illnesses and people it can affect. not just teen girls. AND THEN how you can help or act etc. as some people simply don't know what to say to some people with mental illnesses. it's about where we go from there. awareness is the first step and WE'VE GOT THERE kinda!!! !! a video montage won't help imo.

like so what if you know somebody has depression? it's about what u do from there....
so i fail to see what this 'project' achieves

Sharon
10-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Cerys it seems that you like to purposely try to provoke people into arguments/being pissed off at u lately

Evanora
10-04-2014, 09:43 PM
stop romanticising mental illnesses!

stop sam 2014!

Cerys
10-04-2014, 09:47 PM
.................a video montage of people with mental illnesses isn't hard to achieve. hell i could make one in a few days.

what would be more helpful would be statistics etc of mental illnesses and people it can affect. not just teen girls. AND THEN how you can help or act etc. as some people simply don't know what to say to some people with mental illnesses. it's about where we go from there. awareness is the first step and WE'VE GOT THERE kinda!!! !! a video montage won't help imo.

like so what if you know somebody has depression? it's about what u do from there....
so i fail to see what this 'project' achieves

All I'm saying is that I support him in this, so what if it doesn't have a huge impact on people's lives etc, it's still something.

also im just gonna guess that maybe sam had no clue that only teenage girls would respond to this, so that parts not his fault I guess idk haha xD

But yeah

Cerys it seems that you like to purposely try to provoke people into arguments/being pissed off at u lately

Eh?
I posted my opinion, how is this provoking ..

lemons
10-04-2014, 09:48 PM
beef! beef! beef!

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly.

geo
10-04-2014, 09:48 PM
All I'm saying is that I support him in this, so what if it doesn't have a huge impact on people's lives etc, it's still something.

also im just gonna guess that maybe sam had no clue that only teenage girls would respond to this, so that parts not his fault I guess idk haha xD

But yeah

well sam knows his twitter following so he should know the types of responses he'd get

Eh?

you referred to people as... yeah. implying crap. bye

(fyi i don't mean literal crap i just mean you implied something not good and i'm not even upset or hurt or offended by it but you didn't mean it as something good as this is just in relation to sharons comment ok)

Sharon
10-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Eh?

I wasn't really referring to this thread directly it just seems that way in many threads with a few users. It seems like you structure some of your posts in a way to purposely piss people off and get them to react to you

Cerys
10-04-2014, 09:49 PM
well sam knows his twitter following so he should know the types of responses he'd get

you referred to people as... yeah. implying crap. bye

First part; ok fair enough, I dont know anything about his twitter followers

Second part; I was having a laugh about how against everyone is to it..

And sharon, I don't know where you're coming from. I'm posting no differently to usual. I haven't said anything to cause any arguments, I have simply voiced my opinion in both of those other times which I assume you're referring to.

myles
10-04-2014, 09:50 PM
lets just finish this and say:

Sam, what a **** idea maybe you should rethink it. If you really want to help then go swim with sharks or jump out an aeroplane like you was going to do

geo
10-04-2014, 09:52 PM
lets just finish this and say:

Sam, what a **** idea maybe you should rethink it. If you really want to help then go swim with sharks or jump out an aeroplane like you was going to do

sharks are cute don't bring them into this idea

i just hope if he's gonna do the video they'll be more... like where to go from there. how to help etc

myles
10-04-2014, 09:54 PM
sharks are cute don't bring them into this idea

i just hope if he's gonna do the video they'll be more... like where to go from there. how to help etc

LOL i do see where you are coming from though. a video alone will do nothing

Evanora
10-04-2014, 09:58 PM
this is like no makeup selfie all over again

as soon as ur out of the limelight efq u just have to shove ur way back in its disgusting

lemons
10-04-2014, 10:01 PM
i wouldn't take part in this anyway purely because the poster has century gothic font

Evanora
10-04-2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/imagelibrary/Client%20Images/Client00004/01106000/01106422.jpg

how is this a mental health issue??? thats like saying arachnophobia is mental heatlh problem

xxMATTGxx
10-04-2014, 10:10 PM
Good luck with it Sam!

Kyle
10-04-2014, 10:11 PM
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/imagelibrary/Client%20Images/Client00004/01106000/01106422.jpg

how is this a mental health issue??? thats like saying arachnophobia is mental heatlh problem
things like this can have profound effects on people's day-to-day life. generally people that use 'arachnophobia' use it as very loosely.

Stephen
10-04-2014, 10:12 PM

probs cos its an anxiety disorder

myles
10-04-2014, 10:15 PM
*holds up sign saying "common cold"*

Cerys
10-04-2014, 10:16 PM
Ok I can't actually believe how rude some of you are about this.
Hoenstly grow up. You're not funny so stop trying to impress your friends.

I'm out of here

Evanora
10-04-2014, 10:25 PM
Ok I can't actually believe how rude some of you are about this.
Hoenstly grow up. You're not funny so stop trying to impress your friends.

I'm out of here

whatever cerys at least im not a stalker like you!!
going around stalking ppl at your school from habbo saing u going to beat them up

Stephen
10-04-2014, 10:28 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sftFelY.png

please feel sorry for my dog :(

buttons
10-04-2014, 10:31 PM
I wasn't really referring to this thread directly it just seems that way in many threads with a few users. It seems like you structure some of your posts in a way to purposely piss people off and get them to react to you
no offense, you say cerys is going around looking for a way to piss people off when all posts ive seen from u recently is targeting her in some way? fair enough u don't like her but no need to make comments until she's done something wrong lol

n yeah it's a nice idea tbh i think people will see the disorders and read up on it and maybe become less judgemental? if u search that cleithrophobia on google u will see people posting how it's ruining their lives so it's not like 'the common cold'.... think most ppl are bashing it because sam started it which yea does seem like it done for attention but end of the day it'll probably raise awareness of some sort but also unfortunately attract ignorance too

Jurv
10-04-2014, 10:38 PM

she has nice eyes

Evanora
10-04-2014, 10:41 PM
she has nice eyes

you chauvinistic pig what the hell is wrong with you????

she is there pouring her heart and soul into that piece of paper it probably took her all the courage and strength she has to post that and ur there saying 'nice eyes'! think of other people for ocne in your life

Jurv
10-04-2014, 10:48 PM
you chauvinistic pig what the hell is wrong with you????

she is there pouring her heart and soul into that piece of paper it probably took her all the courage and strength she has to post that and ur there saying 'nice eyes'! think of other people for ocne in your life

omg please don't quote me and use chauvinistic in the same post that's hideous

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!