PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a MacBook, what should I know?

Repair
15-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Hey,
My MacBook pro with Retina display should be her on Thursday, and having never used a Mac before, what should I know? I decided it was a good option for me through college as they are extremely reliable, however I'm also into some casual gaming such as minecraft.
The specs are;

2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)

Its a compeltely new OS and I'm not sure about it, so any tips would be hugely appreciated :)

sex
15-04-2014, 09:11 PM
its waterproof, i wash mine in the sink lots and use it in the shower

Chippiewill
15-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Install Windows on it.

Jack!
16-04-2014, 01:04 AM
OS is incredibly easy to get used to.

Lots and lots of games support mac now, install Steam.

Minecraft works fine on Mac.

Not exactly sure what you want to know?

Firehorse
17-04-2014, 09:36 PM
You should know that you paid about twice as much as you needed to just because it's an Apple product.

Recursion
18-04-2014, 12:05 PM
You should know that you paid about twice as much as you needed to just because it's an Apple product.

Not true considering most are made of horrible plastic and run an inferior OS.

Futz
18-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Recursion if you bought it direct from apple or a retail store for close to £1600-£1700, I'd send it back - they will usually have a 28 days return policy anyway

I say this because you can get that spec off ebay shops now for £1300 max, sometimes £1100-1200 if you bid on it - these are sealed and brand new from very reputable shops - so it's not dodgy overseas machines, just make sure you message them asking that it's sourced from the UK, usually they are

I know this because I've recently looked into getting a macbook, I need acess to some of the OSX exclusive software and I already have a custom desktop so I thought I may aswell get a macbook, I wanted a laptop anyway and this kills two birds with one stone

What you should be prepared for though is hate from a lot of people, don't get involved when people argue that X is better than X, the best thing you can do is just accept their opinion and don't retaliate

I really have never understood this PC VS MAC BS, mainly because they both have their advantages and disadvantages so arguing that one is better than the other is totally pointless

------------------

As far as helpful advice, I'd say:

Keep the original box and all accessories, and possibly get some sort of 'shell' or case for the mac, maybe even a screen protector, this way, you can keep your macbook in better condition for longer and macbooks hold their value incredibly well, even if you were to use it for like 5 years and then resell it, if it's in a good condition and comes with the original box etc, people will usually buy it off you for a good price

Other than that, OSX is extremely user friendly and seamless, just play around with it and have fun dude.

Just remember, don't become a ANTI-(anything not apple) type of deluded *******

Futz
18-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Oh sorry I didn't mean to direct the post towards Recursion, I thought he made the thread at the time

I mean @Repair

Also,

The prices I spoke of were for the 15 inch i7 quad core macbooks

I now realise you meant the 13 inch i5 macbooks

Even so, usually you can get a brand new sealed macbook on ebay for -£300 RRP

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!