PDA

View Full Version : Should prisoners be allowed to vote?

LiquidLuck.
19-04-2014, 10:00 AM
I know that in Portugal, the UK and many other countries, if you have been sentenced, you lose your right to vote. In Australia, prisoners only keep that right if they have had a sentence under three years. On the other hand, in countries like Spain, prisoners never lose that right.

What do you think about this?
Should it be depending on the crime, the time of the sentence?
Do you just not care because even if you have this right, you still don't use it?

Fustraton
22-04-2014, 09:24 PM
If they want to be fair, then yes they should be allowed. The vote (e.g. for the next PM), is for everyone, the entire population. To get a fair result on whom it should be. So why shouldn't they be allowed?

Kyle
22-04-2014, 09:25 PM
If they want to be fair, then yes they should be allowed. The vote (e.g. for the next PM), is for everyone, the entire population. To get a fair result on whom it should be. So why shouldn't they be allowed?
cos they give up their rights when they choose to commit crimes

LiquidLuck.
22-04-2014, 10:11 PM

But prisoners still have their basic human rights, even in prison they are still human beings. Also, it is stated in the United Nation Universal Declaration of Human Rights that one of them is the right to vote. Therefore, shouldn't prisoners be allowed it?

Joshirin
23-04-2014, 10:05 AM
But prisoners still have their basic human rights, even in prison they are still human beings. Also, it is stated in the United Nation Universal Declaration of Human Rights that one of them is the right to vote. Therefore, shouldn't prisoners be allowed it?
No. A lot are animals, and do not deserve to vote. Even if they did, the whites and **** would just vote BNP and ****.

LiquidLuck.
23-04-2014, 12:43 PM
No. A lot are animals, and do not deserve to vote. Even if they did, the whites and **** would just vote BNP and ****.

It's still a right to vote even if they don't vote for the party you do.. If that's a reason for you to think they should not be allowed to vote then then next thing you'll tell me is that you support a dictatorship!

ARTPOP
23-04-2014, 02:25 PM
couldn't care less about voting tbh, not into politics

Becca
23-04-2014, 03:29 PM
i think they deserve a vote, even if they have life. the government can change any prison policies throughout their sentence, so why shouldn't they have their own say? they're members of the public whether you want to admit it or not

maybe they can vote for a government who's into rehabilitation and not just stupid punishment, they might not be in prison again after that

Lewis
23-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Depends on the crimes they've committed. If they're small crimes, I don't see why not. But if they're in prison serving a life sentence for the likes of murder, or other horrible crimes, they shouldn't.

LiquidLuck.
23-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Depends on the crimes they've committed. If they're small crimes, I don't see why not. But if they're in prison serving a life sentence for the likes of murder, or other horrible crimes, they shouldn't.

So you believe they should be allowed to vote AFTER they have served their sentence? Or do you think they should be able to vote while incarcerated, but just those who have committed smaller crimes?

Liva
25-04-2014, 01:13 AM
All that comes to mind after reading the title is that if they made a choice so bad to end up in prison, why should their choices also affect us after they're put away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GommeInc
25-04-2014, 09:56 AM
I'd say the right to life/liberty is more fundamental than voting, and when you commit a crime your liberty is the first to go. Basic human rights should be about life, freedom and well-being - so freedom from torture, freedom of expression and belief, liberty etc.

If people wanted to vote, they shouldn't do the crime. Treat it as an incentive to not be a criminal. If you're a criminal, you shouldn't have a say in the democratic process which developed those laws in the first place. Provided your basic rights are kept (freedom from torture, freedom of expression/belief and to some extent liberty) that's all you really need. Not being able to vote won't kill you.

-:Undertaker:-
25-04-2014, 09:54 PM
Somebody pointed out on this subject the other day - I forget where and who - that voting is a civil right, not a human right.

And no, prisoners shouldn't be allowed to vote. The ECHR should be told to **** off. I've had enough of putting it nicely. I am so sick of more concern being shown towards criminals and evil people than for the victims and the law abiding vast majority. I am so sick of foreign judges and politicians lording it over this country making our elections virtually pointless. I am so sick of politicians and judges doing the total opposite of what public opinion is.

If only the politicians, judges and hand wringers put as much thought into the welfare of the law abiding masses than they do with criminals.

GommeInc
25-04-2014, 09:59 PM
And no, prisoners shouldn't be allowed to vote. The ECHR should be told to **** off. I've had enough of putting it nicely. I am so sick of more concern being shown towards criminals and evil people than for the victims and the law abiding vast majority. I am so sick of foreign judges and politicians lording it over this country making our elections virtually pointless. I am so sick of politicians and judges doing the total opposite of what public opinion is.
Technically we have and always will ignore the ECHR and tell them to go away when it comes to prisoners' votes. It's the only thing Governments can't be bothered touching as it's a non-problem - even for Labour and the Conservatives.

-:Undertaker:-
25-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Technically we have and always will ignore the ECHR and tell them to go away when it comes to prisoners' votes. It's the only thing Governments can't be bothered touching as it's a non-problem - even for Labour and the Conservatives.

Ah but see, I think and fear that they'll do it the sneaky way and say "well look guys, our masters in Brussels are only concerned about human rights and you know, we've reached a nice compromise where only petty criminals will get the vote and not the nasty ones" which will totally ignore the fact that most 'petty criminals' are people who habitually offend and make people's lives a continual misery on the lawless estates where they live in.

They'll use it as a political football for some time and then quietly cave in when the time comes. I have nothing but contempt for the lot of them.

GommeInc
25-04-2014, 10:22 PM
Ah but see, I think and fear that they'll do it the sneaky way and say "well look guys, our masters in Brussels are only concerned about human rights and you know, we've reached a nice compromise where only petty criminals will get the vote and not the nasty ones" which will totally ignore the fact that most 'petty criminals' are people who habitually offend and make people's lives a continual misery on the lawless estates where they live in.

They'll use it as a political football for some time and then quietly cave in when the time comes. I have nothing but contempt for the lot of them.
It's worrying for no reason :P Stop being a worrier :P Teresa May always brushes it under the carpet and the Law Commission have said it doesn't violated the ECHR no matter how much Brussels or anyone else argues as it doesn't impede on free and open elections.

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 01:22 AM
But imagine that you come out of prison, after serving your time and regretting what you've done. In this case I'm not saying you murdered someone, or something else as bad as that, but a lighter crime, lets suppose. Wouldn't you like to know that your opinion is being heard, and by allowing prisoners to vote and giving them the feeling that their opinion still counts, it would make it less likely that they wouldn't commit a crime again? What most prisoners want is to feel integrated in their communities again.

GommeInc
26-04-2014, 10:12 AM
But imagine that you come out of prison, after serving your time and regretting what you've done. In this case I'm not saying you murdered someone, or something else as bad as that, but a lighter crime, lets suppose. Wouldn't you like to know that your opinion is being heard, and by allowing prisoners to vote and giving them the feeling that their opinion still counts, it would make it less likely that they wouldn't commit a crime again? What most prisoners want is to feel integrated in their communities again.
They are perfectly at liberty to go to their MP to voice an opinion. Also, no one who votes thinks their voice is being heard or they feel satisfied their opinion counts - this it the UK, not 'Murica :P Giving them something small like the right to vote won't stop people committing crimes - the fact serious crimes rates are dropping only really supports a no motion if anything.

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 10:51 AM
They are perfectly at liberty to go to their MP to voice an opinion. Also, no one who votes thinks their voice is being heard or they feel satisfied their opinion counts - this it the UK, not 'Murica :P Giving them something small like the right to vote won't stop people committing crimes - the fact serious crimes rates are dropping only really supports a no motion if anything.

Well at least it's not North Korea either. :P Me, when I thought of it, I was against prisoners voting when I started this thread.Now with the research I've been doing, I'd probably say I would allow prisoners with minor crimes/sentences to vote, of course only AFTER they got out of jail. I think prisoners like to come outside and not realize what they lost, but what they still have.

GommeInc
26-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Well at least it's not North Korea either. :P Me, when I thought of it, I was against prisoners voting when I started this thread.Now with the research I've been doing, I'd probably say I would allow prisoners with minor crimes/sentences to vote, of course only AFTER they got out of jail. I think prisoners like to come outside and not realize what they lost, but what they still have.
You don't lose the right to vote indefinitely. Ex-convicts can vote. Once you leave prison, you've served your time and can vote.

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 06:00 PM
You don't lose the right to vote indefinitely. Ex-convicts can vote. Once you leave prison, you've served your time and can vote.

Not everywhere. In the US alone there are 11 states where you can lose that right permanently.

- - - Updated - - -

Found something interesting:

Thomas Hammarberg, Commissioner for Human Rights at the Council of Europe (with 47 member states), has argued strongly that prisoners should have the right to vote. “Prisoners, though deprived of physical liberty, have human rights,” he has argued. “Measures should be taken to ensure that imprisonment does not undermine rights which are unconnected to the intention of the punishment. Indeed, authorities should ensure, for instance, that a prisoner can receive health care and have contact with his or her family. The right to study, to be informed and to vote belongs to this same category of rights which should be protected.”

GommeInc
26-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Not everywhere. In the US alone there are 11 states where you can lose that right permanently.

- - - Updated - - -

Found something interesting:

Thomas Hammarberg, Commissioner for Human Rights at the Council of Europe (with 47 member states), has argued strongly that prisoners should have the right to vote. “Prisoners, though deprived of physical liberty, have human rights,” he has argued. “Measures should be taken to ensure that imprisonment does not undermine rights which are unconnected to the intention of the punishment. Indeed, authorities should ensure, for instance, that a prisoner can receive health care and have contact with his or her family. The right to study, to be informed and to vote belongs to this same category of rights which should be protected.”
What he says is arguable. Healthcare is important as is education, as it is education that keeps you informed and is compulsory for everyone. Voting isn't compulsory, not everyone does it and not everyone wants to do it. The two are very different both legally and morally. Also, the democratic process of voting is arguably connected to the punishment, since it is the democratic process that has probably put you there in the first place.

KingEvan
28-04-2014, 01:26 AM
Well basically, some countries are nicer then other ones (obviously). I think that might be a reason that some countries take that right away forever if you commit a crime.

Kuybii
20-05-2014, 06:22 PM

This. It is all that needed to be said. As a prisoner you should be stripped of everything as soon as you set foot in a prison. But the only thing i would say is that i think it would strongly depend on the crime they committed, if they're in prison for anything above 5/6 years then no. Anything under then yes.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!