PDA

View Full Version : Working in Hospitality

LiquidLuck.
19-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Hey, so in 2015, as a part of my course, we need to find a placement. Due to my course, this will be in the tourism or hospitality industry and I have a few ideas in mind, but wouldn't mind getting some more. The placement will last 9 months, that we can divide as we want, or not at all. This will be a decisive choice in our future because many of the places chosen will offer us a job once we finish university, so I need to choose carefully.

This summer I'm going to work at a 5 star resort in the south of Portugal, and since this is where I spend my summers, that's where I want the last part of my placement to be, during the summer of 2015.

Now for the first months, I have considered getting a job in a good hotel in Lisbon, to be close to my family. And Portugal is a good place to work within this industry, but I do want to travel the world a little bit more. Thing is, I'm too attached so far places are off the question like America and Australia, and I don't really want to go work in Asia or Africa... So that leaves Europe. I know fluent Portuguese, French and English and have a good knowledge of Spanish so communication wouldn't be a problem. I just want something that would look good in my CV.

My top choice so far is Paris. I have considered Disneyland, but apparently I'm too small to play Belle (haha) and I've heard they do not treat employees too well, but again anyone who isn't happy with their place of work will say this. Should I consider other hotels in Paris? My problem is getting like student accommodation or some place cheap to live and be close to work, as Disneyland offers..

Help please? Need to have a clear idea of where I want to go before the end of this semester and I'm just really undecided. :(

iBlueBox
19-04-2014, 11:53 AM
alton towers.

Eric
19-04-2014, 12:03 PM
louvre?

LiquidLuck.
19-04-2014, 12:25 PM
alton towers.

Never heard of it so I guess I'll pass. S: Very disappointed with the UK as it only snowed 3 times here and now I'm dying because it's so warm in my room that I want to go to the beach, but as soon as I step outside it's really cold! :(

- - - Updated - - -

louvre?

If I work in the Louvre, it will be in the front desk, and there is no having a career in the Louvre without like a History or Arts degree..

Alkaz
19-04-2014, 08:36 PM
You could try and get a job in a decent hotel in London, they're always looking for staff who can speak multiple languages.

sex
19-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Hospitality LOL

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly.

lemons
19-04-2014, 08:57 PM
the ritz

wixard
19-04-2014, 09:01 PM
travelodge

LiquidLuck.
20-04-2014, 06:03 PM
You could try and get a job in a decent hotel in London, they're always looking for staff who can speak multiple languages.

That's the thing though, not really. I mean the fact that they are always looking for staff who can speak multiple languages part. It is indeed like that outside of the UK, but it seems that here they only care if you speak English. In Portugal for example, if you don't speak at least 3 languages fluently, you won't get a job at a hotel's reception. In the hotel where I currently work, no one in the reception can speak French though! Most of them only speak English and only a few know Spanish. And let me point out that the majority of international people who stay over are French... That's why I'd like to keep myself away from the UK, plus London is too expensive.

I would love a job in the Ritz, but again I could stay in Portugal for that.. And travelodge? Too good for that tbh.

Alkaz
20-04-2014, 06:13 PM
I get what you're saying but London has some of the finest hotels in the world, imagine the experience! Good luck with getting your placement though :]

LiquidLuck.
20-04-2014, 06:32 PM
I get what you're saying but London has some of the finest hotels in the world, imagine the experience! Good luck with getting your placement though :]

True, but also my English is already good enough, I want to have an intensive French experience now I guess.. Just don't know if Disney is the best choice, but again it's Disney, magic blah blah haha.

Thanks anyway! x

Okeanos
21-04-2014, 04:00 PM
antarctica? http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/apr/17/antarctic-tour-guide-career-languages

Liva
25-04-2014, 01:48 AM
You wouldn't have to stay at Disneyland for long, like you said, you're splitting up the time right?
It'd be an experience, and a fun one at most times too. Can you imagine having that on your resume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 01:42 AM
You wouldn't have to stay at Disneyland for long, like you said, you're splitting up the time right?
It'd be an experience, and a fun one at most times too. Can you imagine having that on your resume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well 6 months.. also this placement is done so that once we finish uni, we have more chances of already having a job for us, by one of the places where we worked.. Also don't forget that working in Disney is like restaurants or shops, I won't be a princess :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!