PDA

View Full Version : Lurkers online

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 10:49 PM
Did you know that people are more likely to lurk than contribute in an online community? It's called the 90-9-1 principle or the 1% rule.

For example, in a collaborative website such as a wiki, 90% of the participants of a community only view content, 9% of the participants edit content, and 1% of the participants actively create new content.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/89/1percentrule.svg/510px-1percentrule.svg.png

sex
25-04-2014, 11:08 PM
*REMOVED*

o/t v. interesting

Edited by Nick (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't be rude to others.

scottish
25-04-2014, 11:09 PM
not really in the slightest bit surprised

what studies prove this

Kyle
25-04-2014, 11:10 PM
sounds about right. the larger a community is the more likely people are to lurk for a while before posting, which is why I have no posts on reddit after being a member for 4 years and why a lot of people don't really post on habbox. in the past it was put down to 'intimidation' from 'the spam crew' but really it's just that habbox isn't all that welcoming.

i wonder who the 'creators' of habbox are

scottish
25-04-2014, 11:19 PM
are the 'creators' meant to be the ones that generate the activity? or the actual founders

GoldenMerc
25-04-2014, 11:22 PM
*REMOVED*

o/t v. interesting

are the 'creators' meant to be the ones that generate the activity? or the actual founders

Creaters and lol graham

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

scottish
25-04-2014, 11:24 PM
it's creators not creaters lol

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 11:24 PM
not really in the slightest bit surprised

what studies prove this

There are quite a lot, if you google it or look at the wiki page you'll find some.

sounds about right. the larger a community is the more likely people are to lurk for a while before posting, which is why I have no posts on reddit after being a member for 4 years and why a lot of people don't really post on habbox. in the past it was put down to 'intimidation' from 'the spam crew' but really it's just that habbox isn't all that welcoming.

I guess that would be Jin and sierk and maybe general managers are this point too..

- - - Updated - - -

Oh was that question about a misspell? Because it's not creaters, it's creators. It was correct.

buttons
25-04-2014, 11:26 PM

yeah definitely, cause people on here know me etc it's easier to post but i use other forums since 09 and have posted a few times or none at all.... it's just hard to get into a large community but once you speak to one person u can become more comfortable with posting more

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 11:28 PM
One example:

A large 2005 study of radical Jihadist forums by Akil N Awan found 87% of users had never posted on the forums, 13% had posted at least once, 5% had posted 50 or more times, and only 1% had posted 500 or more times.
scottish;

scottish
25-04-2014, 11:28 PM
is it just me that doesn't follow that

if I join a community I always register and take part in it typically, even if i do drift on and off I'll always usually go on and post and actively take part.

Don't think I've ever just looked over a forum and never joined/discussed.

- - - Updated - - -

One example:

A large 2005 study of radical Jihadist forums by Akil N Awan found 87% of users had never posted on the forums, 13% had posted at least once, 5% had posted 50 or more times, and only 1% had posted 500 or more times.
scottish;

radical jihadist... I wonder why most of them don't post? :s lol

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 11:31 PM
I sometimes just join a community because there is one thing that interests me. For example I joined this Avril Lavigne fansite just because I wanted to know if her clothing line was still selling. PMed a forum members and haven't logged in since. Haha I also joined Habbo in the summer of 2011 and only became active one year later because back then it had no interest to me. I still have no idea why I bothered in 2012 but glad I did :P

lawrawrrr
25-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Creators would probably be those of us that are known on the forum. Most of the people in this thread I guess - but we're mostly not creators since Habbox began as many of us joined 4/5 years into its history.

That percentage doesn't surprise me, I lurk on quite a few forums and websites, and I think this is to be said for quite a few people here and elsewhere, it is hard to establish an identity in a new place.

on phone xx

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 11:34 PM
radical jihadist... I wonder why most of them don't post? :s lol

Lol it was one example that I found, maybe not a very good one but still. Look at Habbox: ''Members 66,478 / Active Members 1,462'', plus the amount of guests that we have daily.. Don't really want to do the maths but seems pretty accurate.

Kyle
25-04-2014, 11:42 PM
I would put creators as those that are generating discussion and contributors as those that join in with the discussion generated.
and yes i know how to spell creator lmao

i would be interested in further research on this topic that isn't about hate groups

scottish
25-04-2014, 11:42 PM
A lot of people have left over the years though, maybe not 64k but quite a lot

Others were banned, others joined because they needed a word to get a free furni in a HxL giveaway etc

LiquidLuck.
25-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Yeah but apart from those who were banned or just left but actually contributed to the forum, the people who joined because they needed a word to get a free furni in a giveaway are still considered lurkers in this case because they didn't contribute at all for the creation of new content around the site.

Kyle
26-04-2014, 12:03 AM
no i would consider lurkers people who lurk and don't post, not those who signed up but never contributed due to not being around to do so. there are a lot of sulake staff that would be classed as lurkers, most forum members would b contributors and creators would be people like immenseman or tara who are capable of creating topics that a lot of users are interested in discussing

everybody make 1 thread tomorrow and become a creator

Kardan
26-04-2014, 12:04 AM
So, anyone want to try and make this apply to the HabboxWiki? :P

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 12:37 AM
no i would consider lurkers people who lurk and don't post, not those who signed up but never contributed due to not being around to do so. there are a lot of sulake staff that would be classed as lurkers, most forum members would b contributors and creators would be people like immenseman or tara who are capable of creating topics that a lot of users are interested in discussing

everybody make 1 thread tomorrow and become a creator

Where would you put those who have created accounts but have not posted then?

So, anyone want to try and make this apply to the HabboxWiki? :P

What do you mean? Are you saying this because a lot of people are contributing to the HabboxWiki?

Kardan
26-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Where would you put those who have created accounts but have not posted then?

What do you mean? Are you saying this because a lot of people are contributing to the HabboxWiki?

I'm saying this because there aren't any lurkers :P

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 11:08 AM

True, but they are still in the building phase, maybe when most pages are quite well maybe that will change because there won't be such a big need to improve most of them.

If I could do my own rule, for the HabboxWiki I'd say 90% of people are those who contributed like once, to win something, 9% are the people who contributed quite a few times, maybe to try and win the award and 1% are the ones who actually contribute often. :P

lawrawrrr
26-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Lurkers are people who read information without contributing right?

So yeah, we have a lot of lurkers. Both those with accounts and guests...

wixard
26-04-2014, 11:42 AM
whenever there's a big habbo thread made the amount of guests that view it is crazy

like when they announced the app we had about 70 guests viewing the thread at one point to about 18/19 members

Kardan
26-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Is there not a page where it lists all the accounts on the wiki? I just don't think the number of lurkers fits in with the 90/9/1 distribution, that's all :P

Yeah, you've got about 9 people that are actively adding content, that would suggest 81 people adding occasional content (From what I can see that's only 13, the majority of those coming from the VIP competition), and then that would suggest you have 810 'lurkers', which doesn't seem right - but I can't check that :P

wixard
26-04-2014, 11:44 AM
the only reason i made a habbox wiki account was for the vip laura was giving out

wikipedia or other sites don't exactly give out an incentive

Kardan
26-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Ok, so I found the user list - look how many bots there are :O

http://habboxwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&limit=500

GoldenMerc
26-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Chippiewill is still admin lol

Kardan
26-04-2014, 11:53 AM
So is @Skynus;

An interesting fact I found, Skynus has done more work on the wiki in the last 30 days than Laura and rnix :o

scottish
26-04-2014, 12:01 PM
What are the stats on HxWiki

Like unique views per day/week/month?
Total page views etc?

Kardan
26-04-2014, 12:06 PM
The active users page is the best I can find, I guess you need permissions for page views etc.

http://habboxwiki.com/Special:ActiveUsers

scottish
26-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Recursion; show us the viewing stats for hxwiki, hxf, hxl and hx.

MKR&*42
26-04-2014, 12:10 PM
This is the closest thing any normal user could access in regards to stats, you'd need recursion or someone around that rank (as scott has said) for more info

http://habboxwiki.com/Special:Statistics

lawrawrrr
26-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I don't update a lot on the wiki, I give out tasks to staff if I notice anything - just like I don't DJ or write comps, it'd be stepping on the staff's feet! If anyone wants me to do anything I do though. I do log on every day though, and usually do something like updating accounts or stuff :)

Kardan
26-04-2014, 12:13 PM
This is the closest thing any normal user could access in regards to stats, you'd need recursion or someone around that rank (as scott has said) for more info

http://habboxwiki.com/Special:Statistics

From that it suggests something more like 0.5% create, 0.5% lurk and 99% are inactive.

scottish
26-04-2014, 12:24 PM
2,082 users
24 active (probably usually a lot less, due to lauras competition)

1,991,740 total views (not unique obviously) since wiki was created in 2012

2,477 views per day (804 days it's been live. Again not unique, and obviously that's more than in reality as there was a lot of stuff done before it was officially opened, but let's go with that and of course when it opened it would have been a lot more active due to people wondering what it was etc.)

234 views per page (8498 pages)

3 edits per page (32838 page edits)

60 pages viewed per edit

Recursion; give us the proper stats still for every website or xxMATTGxx; if you have access to that..

- - - Updated - - -

From that it suggests something more like 0.5% create, 0.5% lurk and 99% are inactive.

So 24 active, of those 7 have over 10 actions.

So based on registered users 2058-17-7 so it would be 98.85% 'registered', 0.82% 'contribute', 0.34% 'creators' (rounded up to 2DP so excuse the 0.01% over)

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Oh, God, what I've started..

By the way, why does it show how many ''actions'' and not just how many pages updated? It says I've done 6 today, and all of them were in my own page that only I can view haha. So even though it appears that I contribute, my contribution is pointless..

scottish
26-04-2014, 12:30 PM
So it makes staff look more active.

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Good point.. ^

Recursion
26-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Wait for xxMATTGxx; to give you Google Analytics info, I don't have the login for it atm.

lawrawrrr
26-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Oh, God, what I've started..

By the way, why does it show how many ''actions'' and not just how many pages updated? It says I've done 6 today, and all of them were in my own page that only I can view haha. So even though it appears that I contribute, my contribution is pointless..
That's just the way the wiki works!

I don't really care that it "makes the staff look more active", we can tell how it is because of the information.

When the wiki first started we had a lot of contributions, things have slowed down a lot because the main bulk of information is now on there, and it's time consuming to go round checking for missing information and updating things - but staff do still update, and it's obvious.

Kardan
26-04-2014, 01:23 PM
That's just the way the wiki works!

I don't really care that it "makes the staff look more active", we can tell how it is because of the information.

When the wiki first started we had a lot of contributions, things have slowed down a lot because the main bulk of information is now on there, and it's time consuming to go round checking for missing information and updating things - but staff do still update, and it's obvious.

Not sure I would agree that the main bulk of information is on there, since there's still many empty pages and a lot of pages with next to nothing on them.

But growth of the wiki has definitely slowed down. You reached 1,000 pages in December 2012, now in April 2014 we're only at 1,244.

lawrawrrr
26-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Not sure I would agree that the main bulk of information is on there, since there's still many empty pages and a lot of pages with next to nothing on them.

But growth of the wiki has definitely slowed down. You reached 1,000 pages in December 2012, now in April 2014 we're only at 1,244.

How many things do you think there are to make pages about? The majority of information is on there already. There are some empty pages, but many of them are difficult to write about (aka, habbox staff members few of us remember, and older members aren't willing to help us out), or the odd furni page here and there. I used to make priority threads for the Content staff to point them in the right direction of these things, and they were usually filled out very quickly and very well :)

MKR&*42
26-04-2014, 01:46 PM
http://habboxwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:WhatLinksHere/Template:Construction&limit=250

This suggests there are 160 pages still 'under construction'. About 13 percent of all content pages on the wiki.
--
Although there is no denying it is much better than it was.

Kardan
26-04-2014, 01:51 PM
How many things do you think there are to make pages about? The majority of information is on there already. There are some empty pages, but many of them are difficult to write about (aka, habbox staff members few of us remember, and older members aren't willing to help us out), or the odd furni page here and there. I used to make priority threads for the Content staff to point them in the right direction of these things, and they were usually filled out very quickly and very well :)

I agree that using number of content pages won't be very accurate in showing growth because it will have logarithmic growth, but it's about the only piece of data from the wiki there is :P And anyway, more content pages isn't always a good thing, because most of them will probably just become empty content pages.

The wiki has certainly improved, I remember a while back there was a significant portion of empty pages compared to the total, now it's not so bad.

scottish
26-04-2014, 01:55 PM
xxMATTGxx; give us all the viewing stats on each hx website (most importantly wiki) pls

Interested how many unique views etc it gets per month.

lawrawrrr
26-04-2014, 01:56 PM
@xxMATTGxx (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=1020); give us all the viewing stats on each hx website (most importantly wiki) pls

I would also like to see this :P

scottish
26-04-2014, 02:00 PM
2,082 users
24 active (probably usually a lot less, due to lauras competition)

1,991,740 total views (not unique obviously) since wiki was created in 2012

2,477 views per day (804 days it's been live. Again not unique, and obviously that's more than in reality as there was a lot of stuff done before it was officially opened, but let's go with that and of course when it opened it would have been a lot more active due to people wondering what it was etc.)

234 views per page (8498 pages)

3 edits per page (32838 page edits)

60 pages viewed per edit

Based on that, 2477 views per day, i'd reckon maybe 100 unique?

xxMATTGxx
26-04-2014, 02:17 PM
xxMATTGxx; give us all the viewing stats on each hx website (most importantly wiki) pls

Will have to wait, I'm currently on a train back to Manchester. I'll be able to provide it later on this evening.

scottish
26-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Okay, while you're at it feel free to post the AdBlock stats too.

xxMATTGxx
26-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Adverts:

Around 54% of users block our adverts.

Stats provided by Google Analytics:

Date Range: 1st March 2014 to 31st March 2014

Habbox.com

http://mattgarner.net/uploads/2014-04-26_17-09-00.png

HabboxForum.com

http://mattgarner.net/uploads/2014-04-26_17-10-10.png

HabboxLive.com

http://mattgarner.net/uploads/2014-04-26_17-11-12.png

HabboxWiki.com

http://mattgarner.net/uploads/2014-04-26_17-12-14.png

wixard
26-04-2014, 04:22 PM
name and shame

name and shame

name and shame

scottish
26-04-2014, 04:32 PM
Are those users unique?

So

HX: 21,543 members (1 page/visit)
HXF: 34,054 members (9 page/visit)
HXL: 1,787 members (2 page/visit)
HXW: 4,784 members (4 page/visit)

Do you have the AWStats info too?

xxMATTGxx
26-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Are those users unique?

So

HX: 21,543 members (1 page/visit)
HXF: 34,054 members (9 page/visit)
HXL: 1,787 members (2 page/visit)
HXW: 4,784 members (4 page/visit)

Do you have the AWStats info too?

AdWords? I don't have access to that

scottish
26-04-2014, 04:49 PM
No, AWStats if you don't know what it is presumably habbox don't use it (it's log analyzer/tracking like google analytics kinda thing)

Are the 'Users' unique yeah?

HX: 21,543 visitors, 1 page per visit, 3 page per visitor, 2 min avg, 2 sessions per visitor, 91,894 mins / 1,531 hours / 64 days spent total

HXF: 34,054 visitors, 9 page per visit, 18 page per visitor, 12 min avg, 2 sessions per visitor, 845,004 mins / 14,083 hours / 586 days spent total

HXL: 1,787 visitors, 2 page per visit, 5 page per visitor, 5 min avg, 3 sessions per visitor, 30,020 mins / 500 hours / 20 days spent total

HXW: 4,784 visitors, 4 page per visit, 4 page per visitor, 3 min avg, 1 session per visitor, 19,032 mins / 317 hours / 13 days spend total

So each unique user visits HX 4 minutes a month, HXF 24 minutes a month, HXL 15 minutes a month and HXW 3 minutes a month

Unless I've got something wrong

xxMATTGxx
26-04-2014, 04:57 PM
No, AWStats if you don't know what it is presumably habbox don't use it (it's log analyzer/tracking like google analytics kinda thing)

Are the 'Users' unique yeah?

HX: 21,543 visitors, 1 page per visit, 3 page per visitor, 2 min avg, 2 sessions per visitor, 91,894 mins / 1,531 hours / 64 days spent total

HXF: 34,054 visitors, 9 page per visit, 18 page per visitor, 12 min avg, 2 sessions per visitor, 845,004 mins / 14,083 hours / 586 days spent total

HXL: 1,787 visitors, 2 page per visit, 5 page per visitor, 5 min avg, 3 sessions per visitor, 30,020 mins / 500 hours / 20 days spent total

HXW: 4,784 visitors, 4 page per visit, 4 page per visitor, 3 min avg, 1 session per visitor, 19,032 mins / 317 hours / 13 days spend total

So each unique user visits HX 4 minutes a month, HXF 24 minutes a month, HXL 15 minutes a month and HXW 3 minutes a month

Unless I've got something wrong

Oh, we had it back in the day but yeah that's no longer an option. In terms if the users being unique I would love to tell you but I'm confused by the new terms Google now use. It used to just say "Unique" somewhere but I can't find that any more.

scottish
26-04-2014, 04:58 PM
It will be as it states the amount of sessions and page views, what else could it be really, thinking about it.. :p

Kardan
26-04-2014, 05:01 PM
I totally visit HabboxForum 24 minutes a month.

Kyle
26-04-2014, 05:01 PM
wtf is this habboxwiki feedback thread

scottish
26-04-2014, 05:11 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=801147&p=8166969#post8166969

Sorted

LiquidLuck.
26-04-2014, 06:21 PM
You guys have way too much time in your hands haha. I've just helped the wiki's contributors though after being a lurker for the past year and a half haha.

!x!dude!x!2
27-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Do one on habbox :P
Very Interesting tho

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!