PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Clarkson 'put on final warning by BBC'

-:Undertaker:-
03-05-2014, 02:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10805854/Jeremy-Clarkson-put-on-final-warning-by-BBC.html

Jeremy Clarkson 'put on final warning by BBC'

Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear presenter, has admitted being given a final warning by the BBC following a row over claims he used racist language

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1568295/thumbs/o-JEREMY-CLARKSON-570.jpg?6
The Top Gear trio being deeply offensive.

The BBC has put Jeremy Clarkson on his final warning following a racism row, the Top Gear presenter has said.

Clarkson admitted he will be sacked by the broadcaster if he makes another offensive remark.

The disclosure follows claims he said "“n-----” while reciting the nursery rhyme Eeny, Meeny, Miny Moe during filming of the BBC2 programme.

Writing in his weekly column in the Sun the presenter also attacked the BBC for urging him to apologise over the footage, complaining he could not say sorry for something he had not done.

He said: "I've been told by the BBC that if I make one more offensive remark, anywhere, at any time, I will be sacked.

"And even the angel Gabriel would struggle to survive with that hanging over his head.

"It's inevitable that one day, someone, somewhere will say that I've offended them, and that will be that."

Speaking about the BBC's 'plan' for him to apologise, he added: "But saying sorry for using the most racist word of them all and hoping the story would die down as a result?

"...It's something I hadn't done."

The star became embroiled in controversy after the Daily Mirror saw unaired footage of him using the nursery rhyme to compare two sports cars and claims the word n----- can be heard.

Clarkson said he "mumbled where the offensive word would normally occur" in two takes, and used the word "teacher" in its place in a third.

It comes after Harriet Harman, Labour's deputy leader, called for the BBC to sack the presenter.

In a Twitter post Ms Harman said: "Anybody who uses the N-word in public or private in whatever context has no place in the British Broadcasting Corporation."

But Michael Gove, the Education Secretary, urged the corporation not to axe Clarkson because he had been "clear in his apology".

In a video posted online, Clarkson said he "did everything in my power to not use that word" and was now "begging your forgiveness for the fact that obviously my efforts weren't quite good enough".

Asked if the PM shared his cabinet colleague's opinion, Mr Cameron's official spokesman said: "He does share the Education Secretary's view: it is absolutely right that there has been an apology."

Pressed on whether he also shared the view he should keep his job, he replied: "His view is that in terms of actions and the like, that's for the BBC."

In the video post on social media, a solemn-looking Clarkson said: "I was mortified by this, horrified. It is a word I loathe."

The BBC said it had "left him in no doubt about how seriously we view this".

Clarkson had earlier tweeted: "I did not use the n-word. Never use it. The Mirror has gone way too far this time."

The claims come after the motoring show's producer apologised for broadcasting a "light-hearted" joke by Clarkson that sparked a complaint of racism.

An episode, filmed in Burma and Thailand and shown in March, featured a scene in which the presenters built a bridge over the River Kwai, and as an Asian man walked over it Clarkson said: "That is a proud moment, but there's a slope on it."

Somi Guha, an actress who complained to the BBC, said the use of the word "slope" was an example of "casual racism" and "gross misconduct".

In recent years Clarkson has been cleared of breaching the broadcasting code by watchdog Ofcom after comparing a Japanese car to people with growths on their faces.

He previously faced a storm of protest from mental health charities after he branded people who throw themselves under trains as "selfish" and was forced to apologise for telling BBC1's The One Show that striking workers should be shot.

The motoring show has also faced complaints from Indian and Mexican politicians over remarks made about their countries while filming on location.

HAHAHA Harriet Harman, Deputy Labour Leader, weighing in with her moral opinion? That takes the biscuit considering how she helps lead a party full of crooks who fiddled their expenses and who also bankrupted the country, a party that voted for the Iraq war which resulted in thousands dead and a woman who used to help lead a group that was linked with a group that used to campaign for pedophilia to be legalised. That's not to mention the BBC which helped cover up child abuse for a number of years. I cannot stand the woman, she's appalling.

If Clarkson offends you then guess what? Turn the ******* television off and go and worry about something else. I personally cannot wait for the day that the BBC is privatised (and I will never pay the draconian license fee) by force due to the fact that the Labour Party has bankrupted the country (again) and that the state will have no choice other than to sell off the BBC.

And Clarkson for PM. :P

Thoughts?

The Don
03-05-2014, 02:59 PM
You seem to think freedom of speech protects Clarkson from criticism. If he says something offensive, especially on a state funded channel, people are quite entitled to send in a complaint.

Inseriousity.
03-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Wasn't even on TV, some leaked b-roll or w/e its called. The Daily Mirror really do have a grudge against this guy! lolol

03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
You seem to think freedom of speech protects Clarkson from criticism. If he says something offensive, especially on a state funded channel, people are quite entitled to send in a complaint.

I didn't say it protects him in terms of employment. You really do have a knack of grabbing the wrong end of the stick, don't you? I'm merely making the point that there's a culture now in this country, that's very dangerous, where by somebody can lose their job and have their life ruined purely because of a word they uttered (which he claims he didn't and wasn't even shown on TV). It's an absurd situation.

And besides, I would like to see how many complaints the BBC have actually had over this - if any.

The Don
03-05-2014, 03:21 PM
I didn't say it protects him in terms of employment. You really do have a knack of grabbing the wrong end of the stick, don't you? I'm merely making the point that there's a culture now in this country, that's very dangerous, where by somebody can lose their job and have their life ruined purely because of a word they uttered (which he claims he didn't and wasn't even shown on TV). It's an absurd situation.

And besides, I would like to see how many complaints the BBC have actually had over this - if any.

How have I grabbed the wrong end of this? Your post seems to blame the people complaining by saying "if you don't like it turn your tv off" when they are well within their right to complain. Nowhere in your initial post did you mention anything about this 'culture', besides an ad hominem attack directed at Harriet Harman all you've done is talk specifically about this particular example, nowhere did you attempt to link it into a bigger discussion.

Either way, yeh people have freedom of speech, but they don't have freedom from criticism and the BBC as his employer are more than entitled to give him a warning if they believe he's gone against his contract in any particular way.

scottish
03-05-2014, 03:24 PM
So ******* what, he's an entertainer some **** he says will offend a minority of people

If they don't like him don't watch it. It's that simple..

I think he's funny and enjoy it, I honestly can't see them sacking him considering how big top gear is as it would be nothing if not for Jeremy.

03-05-2014, 03:28 PM
How have I grabbed the wrong end of this? Your post seems to blame the people complaining by saying "if you don't like it turn your tv off" when they are well within their right to complain. Nowhere in your initial post did you mention anything about this 'culture'

They are well within their right to complain, but that doesn't mean they're not a load of sad, perpetually offended, *******s.

A complete overreaction to a single word that hasn't even been proven to have been spoken. It's utterly pathetic.

besides an ad hominem attack directed at Harriet Harman all you've done is talk specifically about this particular example, nowhere did you attempt to link it into a bigger discussion.

Nothing really ad hominem about most of my attack on her, all the things I said about her were true (PIE, war & corrupt).

I'm just pointing out what an appalling hypocrite she is.

Either way, yeh people have freedom of speech, but they don't have freedom from criticism and the BBC as his employer are more than entitled to give him a warning if they believe he's gone against his contract in any particular way.

Who disputes that? Not me.

Alkaz
03-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Top Gear is sold to something like 60 countries around the world, it is most definitely a big earner for the BBC which is evidenced as Clarkson is their highest paid presenter. Regardless if he did say it or not, it wasn't aired and must have been edited out if he did say it so, they should be questioning rather how the DailyMail got hold of the footage?

Yawn
03-05-2014, 04:39 PM
the n word is completely unacceptable and if he had said it it completely warrants a reaction more than just changing the channel and i dont think that makes me a moany loser

GommeInc
03-05-2014, 05:06 PM
This is so pointless. There's no proof he actually said this as it's almost inaudible. Even had he of said the N word you also have to weigh up intentions and personality. Was he intentionally racist? No. Is he himself racist? No - he didn't do anything that makes him racist and clearly isn't by personality racist as he's perfectly comfortable talking to black men and women, going to other countries and generally accepting of other cultures. If anything, he's just a stupid man. Stupidity and racism/xenophobia do not always go hand in hand.

Matthew
03-05-2014, 08:52 PM
such an uproar over nothing.

Its debatable at best as to whether or not he actually said it. I don't believe that saying a racist word makes you a racist and its ludicrous that he's on the verge of being sacked for potentially muttering it on a clip that was never intended to be shown to the public. As GommeInc; said its probably more stupidity than anything else.

Mark
03-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Considering this was never broadcast and instead leaked, this is a total overreaction. I'm sick and tired of these utterly pointless news stories nitpicking to inflate every single detail into something bigger than it actually is. I'm sure when Jeremy Clarkson didn't mean to offend people by this and he didn't exactly out rightly call someone the word...

Liva
06-05-2014, 04:40 AM
I haven't had much to do with the show, but he seems like a big part of it that would be missed if he wasn't on it.
I'm a bit disappointed that those are the words of that little song, but they are. Why are they hating on him? Does he actually put footage of himself being rude in the show, or does someone else do that? Because why isn't the whole show getting in trouble for it? I hope that made sense. :P

Reading some comments, it seems as though they've pulled this video from no where. :P they need to get over it.. He isn't trying to insult anyone, anyone who does get offended by that word is implying that it's something to be offended by. It wasn't used in a direct sense so..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hannah
06-05-2014, 08:14 AM
While many people get away with saying this in other outlets, such as music, he is with a very popular, state funded broadcaster. I 100% agree with The Don here.

People take on this behaviour when they become a spectacle of the media - we all know that the best reactions to news stories come from celebrities doing wrong.

Zak
06-05-2014, 02:28 PM
If Clarkson offends you then guess what? Turn the ******* television off

And Clarkson for PM. :P

I thought you'd hate Clarkson but no, you've hit the nail on the head. He is a legend - your view on this is amazing :P

A final warning is a joke. People around the word love Clarkson for who he is - majority of people love him and I can't blame them. He isn't afraid to speak his mind in a very conservative time. Top Gear will not be the same without him.. Regardless of what happens to him in the future the man's a legend and I will always like him.

Sian
06-05-2014, 02:45 PM
He shouldn't be saying that word, whether he did or not. But for the sun to basically leak something that wasn't supposed to be seen is also ridiculous.

but that's the media for ya.

Absently
06-05-2014, 03:10 PM
i don't really see the problem here at all, it was obviously a genuine mistake and he meant for no offense over the issue. especially if it's even inaudible really not a problem

peteyt
07-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I finally got round to listening to the rhyme and heard nothing but people want rid of Clarkson so they'll do anything.

e5
07-05-2014, 04:58 PM
I suppose he can be quite bad but it's also the BBCs fault for airing the bloody stuff. It's not like it's live when he's being recorded

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!