PDA

View Full Version : Exactly a year to go until the next British General Election

-:Undertaker:-
07-05-2014, 03:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27308751

365 Days until the Next United Kingdom General Election

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/74638000/jpg/_74638788_leadercomp.jpg
The four national leaders.

You can start the countdown now. Strike off the days one by one. Mark up your diaries.

Thanks to the coalition's decision to scrap the prime minister's right to pick the date and to fix the length of this and future parliaments, we know the date on which we will get the chance to choose our next government.

For the first time in the history of British democracy, there'll be no "will he or won't he?" speculation about secret Chequers summits, prime ministerial speeches or visits to the Palace which might or might not set the date of the election.

All is certain. Well, up to a point.

The next government of the United Kingdom will be chosen by the people on 7 May 2015 but will there still be a United Kingdom for them to govern?

The people of Scotland might, by then, have voted to become an independent country.

If they have, David Cameron might choose to resign as prime minister. Would that trigger an election or just the choice of a new PM from within the coalition?

Whether he stays or goes, there will be a long gap between a "Yes" vote and the ending of the Union which raises the possibility that the next government of the United (for now) Kingdom could be kept in office by the votes of MPs in a country which had just chosen to leave.

If that happened, would those MPs lose their vote at the time of independence, forcing a new election or would that government simply soldier on until the next election scheduled under the Fixed Parliaments Act?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/74685000/jpg/_74685230_74684901.jpg
The outcome of the Scottish independence referendum could change everything

Of course, Scotland might vote "No". Indeed, the polls still suggest it will. So everything will be clear then, won't it? Well, not entirely.

The general election may be portrayed as a contest between three men - Messrs Cameron, Miliband and Clegg. Or, on the other hand, it may be seen as one involving four - with Mr Farage stepping onto the stage.

If UKIP win the European Elections and the Newark by-election, four party politics will arrive in England, as it already has in Scotland and Wales.

If, on the other hand, UKIP don't quite live up to the current heady expectations and if their support shrinks once the focus is less on protest and more on choosing who governs Britain the next election may look and feel much like the last one.

If, if if…Is anything clear I hear you ask?

Well, surely we can all agree that the public haven't liked this coalition thing. That, at least, is what they tell the pollsters.

Unfortunately, though, those same people also demonstrate in the polls that the country has - for now at least - not made a clear choice of who it wants to govern. Labour's lead has shrunk and is so small to make the result unpredictable.

Ah yes, you may add, but look at history. It's true that history can be our guide. No government polling at this level a year before an election has gone on to win. But just hang on a second. It is also true that no opposition starting from so low a base and with such an unpopular leader has gone on to win.

So, in conclusion allow me to sum up:

There will be an election a year from today. There may or may not be a United Kingdom to govern for very long. There may or may not be a change of prime minister. There may or may not be another coalition

There may or may not be another pact between the Liberal Democrats and the Tories or a new one with Labour. Oh, and did I mention that Boris might or might not run …

A year to go then from today.

I myself cannot see how the Tories can form a majority government in the slightest unless there's an amazing Falklands style diaster to save them. From the polling, although incumbent parties usually close the gap prior to election day, the Tories need to be on 7% at least just to break even and reach the 320 odd mark. Can you see that happening when it didn't happen in 2010? I can't. And that's not to mention that if Labour retain just 25% of the 2010 yellow vote, then they win. And that's not mentioning the purple effect that the Ukip vote will have in that it disproportionately effects the Tory vote. Interestingly enough some polling experts think that there's a strong possibility that the Tories will win the most votes, but Labour will win the most seats - something that last happened in 1951: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1951 A quirk of the FPTP system.

Of course, the unexpected can always happen as it did in Canada (under FPTP) in 1993: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_federal_election,_1993

I thought it'd be interesting though to ask what you *THINK* will most likely happen as opposed to what you would like to happen or who you support. Do you think we'll end up with a Labour majority? A Tory majority? A hung parliament? Which party will have most seats? Will the Liberals Democrats be wiped out? Do Ukip stand a chance of breaking into the House of Commons?

The latest Westminster 2015 voting intentions poll from last night (Survation) has...

Labour 34%
Conservatives 33%
Ukip 18%
Liberal Democrats 8%
Others 7%

Thoughts?

FlyingJesus
07-05-2014, 03:47 PM
Nick Clegg will save the Queen from an assassination plot orchestrated by Nick Griffin after hearing that her family isn't totally British and 80% of the country will vote Lib Dem

Kardan
07-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Personally I think it will be a Labour/Lib Dem coalition, but we'll wait and see.

FlyingJesus
07-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Can't see Lib Dems getting enough seats to make them a worthwhile coalition partner tbh, more likely a Lab/Con duet and they'll have danceoffs to decide on who gets to make which policy

lemons
07-05-2014, 04:10 PM
probably labour :rolleyes:

pmsl yesterday i saw a ukip billboard which made me laugh because the area i saw it is like the most immigrant place on earth

07-05-2014, 04:13 PM
It'd be interesting to see what the Liberal Democrat rump would do in the event that Labour win most seats, but the Tories win most votes. Conventionally they'd go to the party of most seats for negotiations (as they did in 2010) as they had a greater mandate, but when the party with most seats hasn't won the most votes what then?

You never know either, if the Tories or Labour are just a few seats short then DUP/SNP/Others may be involved.

Kardan
07-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Labour will be one off a majority, UKIP's Nigel Farage wins the party's only seat, they form a coalition with Nigel Farage becoming Deputy PM and suddenly declaring he thinks the EU is a good idea.

MKR&*42
07-05-2014, 04:39 PM
If labour get a majority I'm so done with this country. I'll see you all in Germany .

No but seriously I'm reckoning a coalition again, unsure which parties though.

lemons
07-05-2014, 06:32 PM
labour broadcast is funny lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIH-2lZF2yw

Kardan
07-05-2014, 06:41 PM
If labour get a majority I'm so done with this country. I'll see you all in Germany .

No but seriously I'm reckoning a coalition again, unsure which parties though.

How come?

MKR&*42
07-05-2014, 06:50 PM
How come?

In regards to which bit. Germany was a part joke :P

Becca
07-05-2014, 06:52 PM
what's wrong with labour?

07-05-2014, 07:06 PM
what's wrong with labour?

Huge debts they left after ridiculous amounts of government spending, two stupid wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that have left hundreds of thousands dead (including our own soldiers), poor quality comprehensive education system, a huge and mismanaged healthcare system, MPs expenses, constant state meddling in the lives of the general public, the constant creation of stealth taxes, mass immigration, more powers given to the EU without a mandate from the public....... need I go on? The fact that people will still vote for them just boggles the mind.

Of course the Tories can be accused of much the same, as they are the same. A cartel if I ever saw one.

Kardan
07-05-2014, 07:08 PM
In regards to which bit. Germany was a part joke :P

I was gonna say, you'd better start getting your visa application to Germany sorted given the current situation. Might all change in a year though.

Becca
07-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Huge debts they left after ridiculous amounts of government spending, two stupid wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that have left hundreds of thousands dead (including our own soldiers), poor quality comprehensive education system, a huge and mismanaged healthcare system, MPs expenses, constant state meddling in the lives of the general public, the constant creation of stealth taxes, mass immigration, more powers given to the EU without a mandate from the public....... need I go on? The fact that people will still vote for them just boggles the mind.

Of course the Tories can be accused of much the same, as they are the same. A cartel if I ever saw one.

i can't see any other party being better apart from green party but
if i had to vote i would vote green party

but i don't care if women died for me to vote, if there wasn't so many parties that ******** their way into power i probably would

07-05-2014, 07:12 PM
i can't see any other party being better apart from green party but
if i had to vote i would vote green party

but i don't care if women died for me to vote, if there wasn't so many parties that ******** their way into power i probably would

Well if you are inclined to left wing politics then the Green Party (although I think they're stark raving bonkers and would be akin to voting in a communist government) is a much better choice than the Labour Party. At the end of the day, nobody knows what untested parties such as the Greens, Ukip and so on would be like in office - but it's much better actually giving them a chance rather than voting for the same cartel that you wouldn't trust as far as you could throw it. The Labour Party of 2014 resembles nothing like the Labour Party of your grandfather.

And good, I don't understand the 'you MUST vote' thing either. If Ukip weren't standing then I wouldn't bother to vote either. I point blank refuse to choose between two identical parties full of... well i'll just stop there. :P

Becca
07-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Well if you are inclined to left wing politics then the Green Party (although I think they're stark raving bonkers and would be akin to voting in a communist government) is a much better choice than the Labour Party. At the end of the day, nobody knows what untested parties such as the Greens, Ukip and so on would be like in office - but it's much better actually giving them a chance rather than voting for the same cartel that you wouldn't trust as far as you could throw it. The Labour Party of 2014 resembles nothing like the Labour Party of your grandfather.

And good, I don't understand the 'you MUST vote' thing either. If Ukip weren't standing then I wouldn't bother to vote either. I point blank refuse to choose between two identical parties full of... well i'll just stop there. :P

there has been so much hassle on social media too about who is voting who, like this girl openly said she would happily vote UKIP because she agrees with their views and everyone just jumped at her saying 'you must be racist' and calling her every name under the sun

i have to say that i disagree with almost everything UKIP have to say but that doesn't mean i'm going to abuse and victimise people for having their own personal views. to be fair it's going to be a worrying/exciting thing as to who is going to take over but we'll all have to see

07-05-2014, 07:22 PM
there has been so much hassle on social media too about who is voting who, like this girl openly said she would happily vote UKIP because she agrees with their views and everyone just jumped at her saying 'you must be racist' and calling her every name under the sun

i have to say that i disagree with almost everything UKIP have to say but that doesn't mean i'm going to abuse and victimise people for having their own personal views. to be fair it's going to be a worrying/exciting thing as to who is going to take over but we'll all have to see

Well exactly, the left (although not all - as proven by your own attitude towards this) aren't a fan of free speech or differing opinions to their own. Hence why Ukip have had their billboards vandalised, their leader attacked and have actually had human faeces & blood sent to their HQ (http://home.bt.com/news/oddnews/ukip-freepost-cancelled-after-opponents-send-blood-and-faeces-11363899221616)... imagine if Ukip supporters behaved in such a manner?

I clashed on FB with people I know (who happen to all be on drugs, but yeah) and shut them up with the racist bs.

I have heard stories too of when they [Ukip] were campaigning in Wythenshawe (a traditionally strong working class Labour area), Labour activists approached them when they were putting up a Ukip signpost in somebodies garden and said something along the lines of "take that down, this is OUR street" as though they own the area.

If there's one thing to admire about Farage, it's that he's really rattling the cage.

Becca
07-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Well exactly, the left (although not all - as proven by your own attitude towards this) aren't a fan of free speech or differing opinions to their own. Hence why Ukip have had their billboards vandalised, their leader attacked and have actually had human faeces sent to their HQ... imagine if Ukip supporters behaved in such a manner?

I clashed on FB with people I know (who happen to all be on drugs, but yeah) and shut them up with the racist bs.

I have heard stories too of when they [Ukip] were campaigning in Wythenshawe (a traditionally strong working class Labour area), Labour activists approached them when they were putting up a Ukip signpost in somebodies garden and said something along the lines of "take that down, this is OUR street" as though they own the area.

they aren't exactly BNP which is a bit extreme in my opinion so it's hard 'racism'
it's like get over it we are all humans in the same society why would we attack each other for having different opinions, just vote for whoever you want to vote, it doesn't mean you have to involve everyone else and form a gang to vote your party, everything people have been told from all parties are just manifesto lies but it'll be a shock to see if they actually act upon them

it annoys me how people actually think if you vote UKIP they're going to make people abort anything with a sign of dysfunction or syndrome... that was one person's view from the UKIP team and like they'd be able to reinforce that... it would be impossible. people just don't understand politics (not saying i do AT ALL) but people should read up before they criticise

Mark
07-05-2014, 07:50 PM
I'd love to see a Tory-UKIP coalition haha. However realistically I think we'll definitely see another coalition however in regards to what parties, I'm unsure as of yet. I'd hate to see Miliband get a term as he's totally incompetent, however much he argues differently this week.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!