PDA

View Full Version : Number of Romanians and Bulgarians employed in the UK FALLS after open borders

Kardan
14-05-2014, 09:21 AM
140,000 Romanians and Bulgarians are currently employed in the UK (out of a total of 30.43 million employed) - that's just 0.46% of the entire employed workforce that is Romanian or Bulgarian.

This compares to the 144,000 Romanians and Bulgarians employed BEFORE the borders were opened for them on 1st Jan 2014. So despite the Romanians and Bulgarians gaining the same rights to work in the UK as other EU citizens on the 1st Jan 2014, it seems that less of them are indeed being employed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27407126

lemons
14-05-2014, 09:35 AM
omg! what a disaster! ukip ukip ukip ukip

Kyle
14-05-2014, 09:58 AM
bloody romanians all they do is swing old ladies in the street by their heads. kill them all!

iBlueBox
14-05-2014, 09:59 AM
theres a romanian guy on my course at uni and he's so mean

Chippiewill
14-05-2014, 10:03 AM
inb4 dan claims government figures are made up and that the population is now 90% romanians here to steal from the nhs

-:Undertaker:-
14-05-2014, 10:36 AM
We shall see how long this lasts.

The big focus now ought to be on southern Europe which is showing an alarming rise due to the disaster that is the Eurozone which is getting worse and worse. The pledge by the government to get net immigration (a fraud figure anyway) below 100,000 is nowhere in sight.

Michael Heaver @Michael_Heaver ยท 6m

168,000 more EU workers in the past year. Ludicrous. Time to leave the EU and take control of our borders.

Good news so far though on the Romanian and Bulgarian figures (assuming they are true), at least it's not as bad as it could be - for now.

Edit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10829620/Number-of-Romanian-and-Bulgarian-workers-falls-since-EU-restrictions-relaxed.html

The number of Romanian and Bulgarian immigrants working in Britain dipped slightly in the first three months of this year following the lifting of employment restrictions, new figures have disclosed.

But despite the unexpected fall, the total number of people from the two eastern European countries working here is still nearly 26 per cent higher than it was a year ago.

New figures from the Office for National Statistics show there were 140,000 migrants from Romania and Bulgaria countries working here in the first quarter, up 29,000 year-on-year. It also represented a 44 per cent leap on the same period in 2012, when there were just 97,000 living here.

Ah, there's the clearer story. I see.

Disgraceful, and that's without mentioning the overall rise in immigration. It's out of control.

FlyingJesus
14-05-2014, 01:18 PM
You don't like them when they're here and claiming benefits but you don't like it when they have jobs either... the rise in overall numbers working here without a corresponding figure showing that the same amount are newly arrived shows that they've already been here before but have now managed to find employment, which is surely a good thing for everyone. Basically what we're seeing is absolutely normal - people coming here and looking for work, then getting it.

Zak
14-05-2014, 02:18 PM
bloody romanians all they do is swing old ladies in the street by their heads. kill them all!

lmfao

yay Romanians!

14-05-2014, 09:04 PM
You don't like them when they're here and claiming benefits but you don't like it when they have jobs either... the rise in overall numbers working here without a corresponding figure showing that the same amount are newly arrived shows that they've already been here before but have now managed to find employment, which is surely a good thing for everyone. Basically what we're seeing is absolutely normal - people coming here and looking for work, then getting it.

That's correct, I don't like open borders over which we have no control.

What else is new?

FlyingJesus
14-05-2014, 10:59 PM
But we do have control; not choosing to exercise infingements is not the same as not having to power to do so. Turning a tap on isn't the same thing as having no control over the water pressure in your sink

14-05-2014, 11:03 PM
But we do have control; not choosing to exercise infingements is not the same as not having to power to do so. Turning a tap on isn't the same thing as having no control over the water pressure in your sink

We have no control over that tap, under EU Law.

The Freedom of Movement pillar is a founding part of the EU, whilst within the EU the British Government cannot control EU immigration. Period.

peteyt
15-05-2014, 01:52 PM

For me the problem isn't that they are coming, it's that there's too many already here and more and more are coming. I think we need to be a lot stricter on population control and reduce the numbers of people coming in as well as removing all who come here but don't work and get on benefits

Kardan
15-05-2014, 02:15 PM
For me the problem isn't that they are coming, it's that there's too many already here and more and more are coming. I think we need to be a lot stricter on population control and reduce the numbers of people coming in as well as removing all who come here but don't work and get on benefits

I think the only party that wants to actively reduce the number of people already in the country already is the BNP, the others just want to stem the flow or keep it as is?

FlyingJesus
15-05-2014, 02:38 PM

Do you also think we should deport people who were born here but never work or does circumstance of birth give one person more rights than another?

peteyt
15-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Do you also think we should deport people who were born here but never work or does circumstance of birth give one person more rights than another?

Maybe not deported but at least penalised. I don't think anyone who can work but doesn't should get away with being on benefits. In my opinion benefits should be only for people who cannot work due to issues e.g. disabilities or for people looking or in between jobs as a way to keep them going e.g. bills, food etc. and to help them with their job e.g. transportation, clothing etc. I think if people aren't actively looking for a job or are doing their best to avoid a job e.g. being purposely bad in interviews then they should start to lose some of their benefits bit by bit, basically forcing them to get a job or ending up with no money. I know there's the worry of homeless people there, but I do think most people would actually work if they knew they couldn't get money from benefits and at the moment people get too easily trapped in the system.

As to immigrants, I have no problem with people coming over to our country but this needs to be controlled and have a limit to avoid over populating a country that can hardly support its own people let alone others. These people should have to work to. I'm sick of people coming over and going onto benefits but the government unable to do anything about them. If they want to be in our country, that's fine, but I'm not paying for them to do nothing.

FlyingJesus
15-05-2014, 06:11 PM
That does happen already

peteyt
16-05-2014, 10:19 AM
They could be a lot more strict.

FlyingJesus
16-05-2014, 10:55 AM
More strict than stopping all payments and forcing people to do unpaid work like they currently do? If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it

GommeInc
16-05-2014, 01:23 PM
They can't receive benefits. If they plan to live here for more than 3 months they need to prove they're looking for work and are financially stable. If they can't, they're out. It's a huge misconception that benefit tourism exists when it only really does if you're working - and if you're paying into the kitty then maybe you do deserve some financial support.

Firehorse
18-05-2014, 07:47 PM
This video gives a good balanced view on this: it discusses why the big influx may have been a misconception, but also questions the credibility of the figures being discussed in this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETy5Bbv5ZNI

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!