PDA

View Full Version : Food should be regulated like tobacco, say campaigners

Chippiewill
20-05-2014, 01:51 PM
The food industry should be regulated like the tobacco industry as obesity poses a greater global health risk than cigarettes, say international groups.

Consumers International and the World Obesity Federation are calling for the adoption of more stringent rules.

These could include pictures on food packaging of damage caused by obesity, similar to those on cigarette packets.

The Food and Drink Federation said the food industry was working to make healthy options for consumers.

The two organisations - CI and WOF - said governments around the world should impose compulsory rules for the food and drink industry.

They said global deaths due to obesity and being overweight rose from 2.6 million in 2005 to 3.4 million in 2010.

The new rules could include reducing the levels of salt, saturated fat and sugar in food, improving food served in hospitals and schools, imposing stricter advertising controls, and educating the public about healthy eating.

Artificial trans-fats should be removed from all food and drink products within five years, said the recommendations.

Advertising to children, during television programmes such as the X-Factor, must be restricted, said the organisations.

Governments could review food prices, introduce taxes, change licensing controls and start new research to make this happen, the report said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27446958

As bizarre as it might sound, I'm actually in favour of some of this, particularly the advertising controls and improving food served in hospitals and schools. If children get a good start in life with education on food then it's less likely they'll eat themselves to death as they become older. I think some of the recommendations might be slightly draconian, but on the whole they're largely sensible.

-:Undertaker:-
20-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Just what people struggling to get by need, an increase in food prices. :rolleyes:

I'm all for healthy food, but I am completely against this constant nannying. First smoking, now food & booze.. the internet will be next.

It's high time we had a rollback of the state socially, similar to the Thatcher revolution in the 1980s in relation to industry/the economy.

wixard
20-05-2014, 01:55 PM
it's not exactly fair on us though who can maintain our weight and stay healthy and eat right.

if i wanna treat myself to a bar of chocolate i want to enjoy it and not be put off by gross images on the packaging.

-:Undertaker:-
20-05-2014, 01:56 PM
it's not exactly fair on us though who can maintain our weight and stay healthy and eat right.

if i wanna treat myself to a bar of chocolate i want to enjoy it and not be put off by gross images on the packaging.

Oh no no no no, you WILL be told what to eat and treated like a baby.

https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/files/26324/width237/3dt6sq39-1372314524.jpg

Danny
20-05-2014, 05:31 PM
I eat alot of takeaways but I still remain healthy...

God
20-05-2014, 05:50 PM
I fully agree with that, but these junk foods need to be regulated, and shouldn't be as widely available as good food.
I also believe that corporations need to keep their hands off our food. In such case, I believe all GMO Crops and livestock to gradually over a 5-10 year time frame to be replaced with non GMO crops and livestock. Monsanto and all other evil corporations like them don't want to help get the food for the world, but control it.

Oh no no no no, you WILL be told what to eat and treated like a baby.

https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/files/26324/width237/3dt6sq39-1372314524.jpg

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!